It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I feel angry or depressed...or both??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Has it ever occurred to you to have someone tell you the most awful things for your own good, without that person realizing what it actually does??

Let me explain. Every month, I have an appointment with a massage therapist as my back, shoulders and neck are full of knots. Today was one of those and it was particurarily more painful than usual. After the treatment, Ann - let's call her Ann - tells me that I should start looking at weekly appointments instead of monthly. She tells me that I am not getting better but worse. Great...so I say "okay...I'll think about it..."

Seems like that triggered the awful news. Ann then goes on about my back being hard like the table, my muscles in my shoulders and neck being way passed anything she has ever seen. Cool, I'm unique !! She doesn't think I'm being funny...

She raises the bar. She says I should eventually look at early retirement...say WHAT???

Hey, I'm only 50 and that's way too young to even think of retiring. Likely, it's not the age, it's the mileage...yeah...okay... Shouldn't I feel like Indiana Jones???

She's not amused and I'm shocked. Here is this guy feeling like he is still in good shape for a fifty year old, Tom Cruise style and she's telling me I'm more like George Burns and...darn...this guy's been dead for sixteen years for crying out loud !!!

I walked out of her office with a smile. Not a real smile. The most artificial smile I've ever given to anyone !

Now I feel like...well...not a good feeling. Not at all. Old, yeah, thanks to her, I do feel old. And it sucks.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
"Ann" may be trying to earn extra money.

Seek a second opinion.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

The economy is tough these days,to me it sounds like she needs to make more money. (I could be wrong)
Everybody's body is different and to pretend she knows anything is kind of dumb....she is a massage therapist,not a doctor.
I have had physio people and massage therapists as well as a chiropractor say things that after not believing them and going on with my life....were false.

Listen to your body....not someone who doesn't have your body and is not educated enough to act like a doctor.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Maybe try another massage therapist?

Business might be slow and they are looking to draw in more income.
Maybe you are in rough shape. Doesn't hurt to get a 2nd, 3rd opinion.

Keeping your cool was the right way to handle it though.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Go to a chiropractor, they do more than just adjust spines and they are a lot more beneficial imo.
I dont think you should get offended so easily though but thats just my opinion, dont rant at me

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Excuse me, but you are listening to a MASSAGE THERAPIST about your health????? You should be angry at yourself for doing that.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
maybe you're getting old? nah 50 isn't old...oh wait, it is.

You shouldn't feel angry or depressed.

Just face facts, old man.

He even admits he's not in good shape....

Let me explain. Every month, I have an appointment with a massage therapist as my back, shoulders and neck are full of knots. Today was one of those and it was particularity more painful than usual.

You know what they say, "The truth hurts."
edit on 23-11-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

C'mon now Son! Read between the lines! You're in great shape and Ann just wants an excuse to see you more often!

And even if you've lived the type of life that leaves one hurting in the cold and with strange crunching noises from movement? Buy some aspirin and say "Man... That Ann... she wants me."

It might be true and it's better than being depressed!

If that doesn't work? Find some punk twenty-something with a big mouth and then rip out his face piercings and tell Ann all about it the next time she pipes up.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

C'mon now Son! Read between the lines! You're in great shape and Ann just wants an excuse to see you more often!

Let me explain. Every month, I have an appointment with a massage therapist as my back, shoulders and neck are full of knots. Today was one of those and it was particurarily more painful than usual.

That really sounds like he's in great shape....

nah just read between his lines....it's an old man who can't face the truth.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
Every month, I have an appointment with a massage therapist
She tells me that I am not getting better but worse.

So clearly her massages are not what is needed.
Dump her completely, and find some other treatment.

Or better still, no treatment at all. After all, you said you feel in good shape, so why even bother.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Wait wait... Is she one of "those" massage therapist? You know the type im referring to, the ones that massage more than just muscles

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
she trying to make more money.... slick sales pitch .... pffffffth 50 is young .....

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

And even if you've lived the type of life that leaves one hurting in the cold and with strange crunching noises from movement? Buy some aspirin and say "Man... That Ann... she wants me."

It might be true and it's better than being depressed!

If that doesn't work? Find some punk twenty-something with a big mouth and then rip out his face piercings and tell Ann all about it the next time she pipes up.

~Heff

THIS!!

Well said, Hefficide.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Some of the answers here are awesome ! Well, to start, I never said I was angry or depressed, I asked if I should be...

Ghost375, I do feel old but I outrun, outswim and outwork some of my best friends that are much younger than me...those are facts.

Heff, great advice but here is what I have decided to do:

1 - Book my next treatment (monthly being december) with her co-proprietor...see how that goes...she's better looking and younger...

2 - Tell the co-proprietor how much better her massages are and that I should have booked with her way before...

Old my arse...

Juggernog...no no no...not one of those....

Thanks for the great answers guys ! Wasn't sure if I should post that or not. Happy that I did !

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
she's a psychic vampire. Write her a short note telling her to go # herself and then find another massuese.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
maybe you're getting old? nah 50 isn't old...oh wait, it is.

You shouldn't feel angry or depressed.

Just face facts, old man.

He even admits he's not in good shape....

Let me explain. Every month, I have an appointment with a massage therapist as my back, shoulders and neck are full of knots. Today was one of those and it was particularity more painful than usual.

You know what they say, "The truth hurts."
edit on 23-11-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

50 isn't old but you can be old at 20 if you have a stinky attitude and think you know everything. I'd be careful if I were you.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

She raises the bar. She says I should eventually look at early retirement...say WHAT???

she gave you a synopisis of your physical condition. No way for me to say whether its really good or bad. If its truely bad consider doing gym regularly to improve shape.

top topics

join