It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't talk about UFOs around children!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I recently was on the phone talking with my daughter when she asked me not to talk about UFOs the next time I visited. She says my 11 yr. old grandson is having bad dreams and she doesn't want me to talk about anything that might scare him, On my last visit I had mentioned that I had seen 2 UFOs in Boise and that someone else had photographed one over Ann Morrison Park. At no time did I say they were controlled by aliens. Apparently, after I left he told his mother that he knew about Area 51. I had not talked about Area 51. So I am assuming he found out that information either through TV, internet or from other 11 year old friends.
Now here is the rub, she has allowed him to read every Harry Potter book and watch every movie. This last summer she took him to see Harry Potter at Universal Studios in Florida. She and her friends are very much into the Twilight books and movies and talk about them around him. He has been well introduced to witches, wizards, demons, vampires and werewolves. He can say the name Voldemort but isn't allowed to say UFO.
I am wondering is it that subconsciously people know that UFOs are real and therefore possibly pose a real threat while witches, wizards, demons, vampires and werewolves are seen as pure fantasy. What do you all think?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I think if they show up a lot of people are going to be wishing they addressed this sooner.

I also think you might be on to something with the notion they are real. It's something we all know in the back of our mind and in my opinion, we need to accept this instead of keep pushing it to the back of our minds and let fiction fill in the blanks.

We've let horror film experts write the truth on this issue and it is a mistake.

edit on 23-11-2012 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by grayeagle
I recently was on the phone talking with my daughter when she asked me not to talk about UFOs the next time I visited. She says my 11 yr. old grandson is having bad dreams and she doesn't want me to talk about anything that might scare him, On my last visit I had mentioned that I had seen 2 UFOs in Boise and that someone else had photographed one over Ann Morrison Park. At no time did I say they were controlled by aliens. Apparently, after I left he told his mother that he knew about Area 51. I had not talked about Area 51. So I am assuming he found out that information either through TV, internet or from other 11 year old friends.
Now here is the rub, she has allowed him to read every Harry Potter book and watch every movie. This last summer she took him to see Harry Potter at Universal Studios in Florida. She and her friends are very much into the Twilight books and movies and talk about them around him. He has been well introduced to witches, wizards, demons, vampires and werewolves. He can say the name Voldemort but isn't allowed to say UFO.
I am wondering is it that subconsciously people know that UFOs are real and therefore possibly pose a real threat while witches, wizards, demons, vampires and werewolves are seen as pure fantasy. What do you all think?

I've always thought about that as well. I never had problems with spirits, demons, witches and the like. Never. When I was a kid I'd even think they were so cool and I grew up watching these movies. No problems at all. When I first watched X-Files though, and the aliens appeared (I was about 10 or 11 at the time I think) that's when the problems started, and even now (I'm 26) I still am scared to hell when someone talks about aliens or when I come to ATS and start reading about that stuff.

I so believe that it must be something related to our subconscious, it's almost like we can feel and differ what's just a joke or a story and what isn't. I've noticed that same pattern with members of my family and a few friends as well. It's really creepy.

Let's see what our fellow ATSers have to say about that. Great thread.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
It sounds like a subject you probably do need to avoid, is my thinking. It's not that it SHOULD be....but it sounds like it would take the 'serious chat' about UFO's vs. the War of the Worlds and Independence Day "truth" all the kids likely think only they know about those 'evil UFO's'. I'm trying to think back through a lifetime of experiences and education to recall the world os an irrational childhood outlook....and I imagine it could be a pretty scary thing when media craziness may be all they have for a base of reference?

Has anyone in that house ever touched the subject in a real 'lets at least understand what exists and what doesn't' way? Otherwise, the whole topic is like a boogeyman with a real classy ride, right?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

On my last visit I had mentioned that I had seen 2 UFOs in Boise and that someone else had photographed one over Ann Morrison Park.

Where can I see this alleged photo?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I think this is a good idea in general, seeing as how children are impressionable, and talking as if UFO's are alien beings may cause these kids to grow up assuming aliens are real. Something that people who believe in aliens visiting earth seem to forget is that there are a whole lot of phenomena occurring in the skies of the world that are terrestrial in nature. Assuming they are extraterrestrial, especially when all that is visible is a LIGHT, is completely misguided.

There is quite a bit of evidence to suggest that multiple governments around the world possess military technology that has not been declassified, and some UFO's are likely to be these classified aircraft. To prove my point, just look at the information that was declassified on the stealth aircraft. There were a plethora of UFO reports at the time these stealth aircraft started flying, but civilians who reported them as alien UFO's had no clue what they were. So despite the fact they were quite terrestrial in nature, the observational skills of humans are relatively poor when looking into the sky.

I would trust someone's judgement much more if they were on the ground, looking across land. But when looking into the sky there are just too many factors that can confuse a person. Distance, speed, etc. are characteristics that will change relative to a person's position, and testimony of this nature is quite unreliable. I'm sure aliens exist, but I doubt they are visiting earth. Besides human technology that is in the sky, there are also many natural phenomena that we have yet to be able to explain.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kromaion

That is an interesting thought. Perhaps we have an inner sense that is able to discriminate between fact and fantasy or what is a threat and what isn't. I recently posted an experience I had in the past on a thread about creepy things occurring in the forest. I never felt threatened although my girlfriend was.

edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: Correct mistake,

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I think it's tabu to talk about UFOs and very silly. The reason is because a lot of people don't know the definition of the word UFO and associate it with flying spaceships controlled by aliens. And I think that it is very wrong to project your own beliefs and thoughts about what UFOs may and may not be to kids. Let them by themselves to create their own opinion about the subject.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by grayeagle

When I was 11 we had to read The Martian Chronicles for school. I wonder if he has to read it for school if it might make him not so afraid....or maybe a copy in his Christmas stocking. It's kid friendly fiction.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Well its rather easy to debunk things in movies, especially when it's things like Harry potter and such. UFOs are real in my own opinion, whether they are controlled by aliens or the government.

Something about them leads a lot of people to think that they could actually be a threat to us.
Once you start to take a look at the vast number of stars, and potential planets of said stars around them, the whole "Aliens could come and kill us all scenario" actually holds water.

A 10 year old kid shooting magic laser beams, or a vampire and a werewolf have never been seen in modern times, and if they are it's more then likely a hoax, or a dramatization.

Personally I am much more afraid or an alien invasion then a giant boogey-man coming to get me, even at 11 I was aware of this.

I would leave it alone in my opinion, and just not talk about it, 11 year old kids are really impressionable and gullible.

Or you could be a real jerk and send him a copy of Whitley steebers "communion" That's sure to give the kid nightmares for a few years. (joking on the last part btw ^^)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

It was on local news here and I believe it made the paper. It was October of 2010 I believe. I will try to find it and post. I am not all that skilled and haven't attempted to upload a picture yet. If I can't I will try to find link. If you are interested in my observation I will talk about it maybe on a different thread.

I just googled it "ufo photographed in Boise Idaho over Ann Morrison Park"

edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: To add Google search info

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

"Not discussing" it would be respectful of a parents wishes. No argument there but I'll go the other way and suggest that the parents have a sit down and explain that UFO's and possibly "aliens" are a subject of debate and not a threat.

Children are scared of many things they don't understand. If it was explained to them then they'd have a better understanding of the topic as it is now they haven't learned anything of value to make any sort of judgement for themselves which is exactly the traits we as parents should try to instill in our children.

If they had a fear of Dogs the parents should address it so as to prevent life long fear of dogs.

Two pennies

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I don't believe they have talked to him about it at all. He is very bright and curious. I have known about UFOs and flying saucers from a very young age because my maternal grandfather observed them in 1949 and it was a story that the whole family knew and talked about. I don't ever remember being scared about them growing up.
My daughter's opinion is that I am an old man who hangs out with conspiracy nuts.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I agree with you. This is a very bright kid and I think he would have no problem with that talk. More than likely he has been talking about them with his peers and not getting a very balanced view of them.

I will totally honor their wishes and I told her so. I would never undermine their parenting.

edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Who are you to say what children should be afraid of?
Plus, You are generalizing that since this kid is afraid of aliens, all kids are afraid of aliens.
People have different fears.
ET scared my childhood friend horribly, I loved the movie and didn't find it scary at all.

This kid's afraid of aliens, don't bring it up around him. end of story.
edit on 23-11-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-11-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Personally, adults run the world and should not pander to children. By caving in to every fear a child expresses you reinforce it instead of overcoming it with logic.

Vampires and Harry Potter, but no UFOs?

Who is the child and who is the adult?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I have a 11 year old son and we regularly watch those bigfoot and ancient alien shows,not to mention the Darkskies series and the Walkingdead..

I think he will be well prepared for the zombie/alien Apocalypse when it comes,if he doesn't kill me in my sleep first.

edit on 23-11-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpoq47

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

If the Child is afraid of a Ham and Cheese on rye sandwich [With the dark mustard

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join