Egypt - Update and Information thread

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Hundreds, perhaps a few thousand people have taken to the streets in Tahrir Square in Egypt again. Reuters has a live feed going on at the moment from the square: reuters.livestation.com...

They are protesting because they feel conned:
Violence breaks out across Egypt as protesters decry Mohammed Morsi's constitutional 'coup'

Headquarters of the Muslim Brotherhood’s political front, the Freedom and Justice Party, were ransacked and burned in Alexandria, Port Said and Ismailiya. Protesters described Mr Morsi as “Egypt’s new pharaoh” and said his declaration on Thursday night was a “constitutional coup”. In Cairo, the biggest demonstrations for months filled Tahrir Square, reviving the spirit and chants of last year’s revolution against the country’s former leader, ex-President Hosni Mubarak. “Out, out,” the crowd chanted. The people want the downfall of the regime.”

Al Jazeera Report:

New protests in Tahrir Square as Egypt's Morsi grants himself broad powers

Critics of Morsi accused him of seizing dictatorial powers with his decrees a day earlier that make him immune to judicial oversight and give him authority to take any steps against "threats to the revolution".

"There are weevils eating away at the nation of Egypt," he said, pointing to old regime loyalists he accused of using money to fuel instability and to members of the judiciary who work under the "umbrella" of the courts to "harm the country."

This has the potential to erupt into something very major throughout the weekend. Use this thread to update the situation in Cairo's Tahrir Square and throughout Egypt.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
A few other live feed of Tahrir: bambuser.com...

I think this is also Tahrir but not sure: bambuser.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I hope for the people that I'm wrong. I've never hoped for something more in my life than to hope I'm wrong here. However, I think the Egyptians are going to find very very hard that doing "something" is NOT always better than doing "nothing". The replacement to Mubarak may well become something they think back on the old days with very fond memories as a result of.

At the very least, traditional Islamic state leadership doesn't tolerate fools or protesters, They aren't the same thing, of course, but meet the same ends and fate in historic examples. Hopefully...they don't become the latest living...or not...example of how this is handled over there.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
They know the Reuters camera is there live reuters.livestation.com... The protesters or at least one, is pointing a green laser pointer at the camera every so often...directly.
edit on 23-11-2012 by DragonFire1024 because: clarify

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Matt Stucker ‏@MattStuckerCNN
U.S. expresses concern at #Morsy's expanded powers. www.cnn.com...

twitter.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Tahrir Square sit-in begins, Morsi defends decrees

Opponents of Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi's seizure of powers have begun a one week sit-in in Tahrir Square in Cairo. Morsi told fellow Islamists at a rally Friday that he was maintaining "political stability." The United States, the European Union and the United Nations said presidential decrees issued by Morsi on Thursday - ostensibly to remove hitches in Egypt's transition to democracy - were counterproductive. Morsi defended his moves as his supporters rallied outside his presidential palace, saying it was his "duty to continue the march of the revolution," in a reference to the popular revolt that toppled former president Hosni Mubarak in February 2011.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The laser pointer makes the live feed cut out sometimes. reuters.livestation.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Enough is Enough! ‏@enough14
@MoudBarthez The police forces attacks the protesters and they are trying to break-in #Tahrir square. #Egypt #Cairo #jan25 #23NOV

Liza Sabater ‏@blogdiva
#Egypt RT @buckyturco: Amidst the madness there's people out here serving food and water and sleeping. Tahir Square is occupied. twitter.com...

Quotes from Morsi's speech

"We are, God willing, moving forward, and no one stands in our way. I fulfill my duties to please God and the nation and I take decisions after consulting with everyone. I am for all Egyptians. I will not be biased against any son of Egypt. Opposition in Egypt does not worry me, but it has to be real and strong. The people wanted me to be the guardian of these steps in this phase that the whole world has witnessed."

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Non-lethal weapons, particularly rubber bullets, are severely injuring protesters in and around Tahrir Square:

Daniel Berman ‏@DanielBerman2
Rubber bullets or regular ammo?@Beltrew: Guy shot in the stomach carried past me. Being treated at field hospital on #tahrir #egypt" twitter.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
2:04am Saturday (EET) - Time in Cairo, Egypt

Possible gunshots near Tahrir reuters.livestation.com... Probably rubber bullets but definitely sounds like a gun.

Bel Trew - بل ترو ‏@Beltrew
#Tahrir square right now, 1000s still here, clashes still going. This will go on all night #egypt yfrog.com...
edit on 23-11-2012 by DragonFire1024 because: (no reason given)
edit on 23-11-2012 by DragonFire1024 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Right on, thanks for starting this thread. This definately needs to be watched.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
twitter:

Leil-Zahra@ LeilZahra
8m Attack with tear gas now a
bomb fell in #Tahrir and huge
cloud next to mogamaa bldg.
They are firing more.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Oh noooo...not again

I'm not going to sit here like that Gaza thread update (at least not that long).

Yeah, I was watching earlier on the Live RT feed. Whats with the guy with the green lazer. Wonder why he'd (or they) want to do that. Must drive the camera dudes nuts.

ok

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
They are getting gased now. Its starting ...not many people though.reuters.livestation.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

Wth is going on with the ME? is it me or do these people need serious therapy and meds?...

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Faith ‏@FaithHitaf
sad state for #Egypt post revolution RT @ArwaGaballa:NIGHT CLASHES IN EGYPT: youtu.be... #Tahrir #مصرLebano #Syria #Gaza #UN

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Egypt opposition leader: No dialogue with Morsi until rescinds 'dictatorial' powers

Prominent opposition leader Mohamed ElBaradei said on Saturday there could be no dialogue with Egypt's president until he rescinds a "dictatorial" decree that he said gave the Islamist leader Mohamed Morsi the powers of a pharaoh. "There is no room for dialogue when a dictator imposes the most oppressive, abhorrent measures and then says 'let us split the difference'," ElBaradei said in an interview with Reuters and the Associated Press after talks with other opposition figures.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Reuters still has a live feed of Tahrir If you watch and listen long enough, you can hear tear gas cans being fired somewhere just off the camera's view. reuters.livestation.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Senator John McCain has a thought:

John McCain ‏@SenJohnMcCain
President Morsi should renounce his power grab before things get out of hand #Egypt twitter.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
More ambulances in and out of Tahrir Square in Cairo reuters.livestation.com...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join