Could Being Politically Correct Cause Psychological Damage and Mental Retardation?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I agree with what you said, but read the post StormDancer wrote above yours. In my experience, you can still be extremely polite and be considered politically incorrect - and often the politeness level gets so high that a meaningful conversation cannot be had.

It might be a different situation altogether these days than the ones from your experience, perhaps. I wouldn't be complaining if it was just about being polite - but whole topics and viewpoints are off limits just because they are not politically correct, and it has nothing to do with being polite.

I also agree with you that other factions, like conservative or religious factions, can be intolerant of other viewpoints. I pointed out a while ago that political correctness can be wielded as a weapon by whoever is in charge.

I just pointed out liberals because that is pertinent to the conversation at the moment in America. Also, people are so sensitive, that I would rather not speak than risk offending someone, no matter how polite I am.

Glad to hear the good counter-argument.
edit on 24-11-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by GD21D

I don't think there is much correlation between political correctness and stupidity. I just think the average person is just stupid for lack of a better term, or I can always use my "politically correct" term, mentally deficient. In my personal experience, it's not that people get angry with what I say. It's more like they just look at me with a confused/blank look.

All right, I will be willing to admit that this is getting much closer to what I'm talking about.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I disagree with the thesis of the OP....
I think only the psychologically damaged and the mentally retarded can be politically correct!

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by poloblack

Originally posted by Logarock

Originally posted by spinalremain
Reply to post by Trustfund

Yep.

The ones who are angry about being PC are the ones who cannot give you an example of how it interferes with their everyday life.

They are slackjawed honkies who want to run at the lip about ni**er this and Ni**er that. To intrude upon how they were taught to think and speak is upsetting to them.
-Dam slackjawed, honkie bastards

J/K everyone

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

A white person having an encounter with a black person, an issue, has been trained to put everything in as mild of turms as they can.....so as not to offend and incur wrath. Wrath like "Oh hell no! I know youre not talking to me". Blacks very often will take advantage of this position.

I know of a case of late where a black guy that sould have been fired and taken to court droped the race card against the aggrieved white party. It involved thieft and the plundering of an account. Higher ups caved in to the race bomb and forced the aggrieved party to do the same. Higher ups also bought the aggrieved party a replacement item but of lesser quality but there was no return of funds to the account....an account that had been rasied by the aggrieved. Not only did the aggrieved party not get their 18,000$ from the account back but the idem stolen was worth 25,000$ replaced with a 10,000$ item.

The higher ups in this case were the black mayor of a large city. Much of the city "leadership" is black with some lackey whites, who must be so, working so close to blacks in a power structure.

This is what political correctness looks like in the real world. A total "slack" of justice due to a damaged view of justice as it has been skewed by modern race thought in america. Go ahead and steal from whitey....we will cover youre ass.
edit on 24-11-2012 by Logarock because: n
That's a mighty broad brush that you're painting black people with there, Ace.

I am simply giving the guy an answer to his question about providing a real world example. He asked for one. Thats what he got....one. Not trying to paint anything, in fact that just one little small brush stroke. And yet your reaction is the knee jerk politicaly correct standard "broad brush" stuff.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
reply to post by darkbake

Any idiot can express their views. Most do. The capacity to monitor and adjust oneself - relative to the specifics concerning social congeniality within a given situation - is a much more sophisticated requirement, forcing the brain-mind cooperative to be extremely precise and dynamically responsive. This being the case, being "politically correct" (in other words, socially adept) actually strengthens the brain's immediate flexibility, as well as its dynamic detection-response relationship with the mind.

So, no, being politically correct can't cause psychological damage or mental retardation. In fact, the inability for someone to be "politically correct" - regardless of the immediate and long term negative impact of that inability - is an indication of psychological damage and/or mental retardation. Or at least social retardation. Children are often the freest from suffering political correctness, and that should be a clue for any adult that fears the mental impact of correcting one's impulses when they are in public.

I was at a public event not long ago and had a black woman spout off about my boots as I wear logger boots. I guess I look like a red neck or an ol honkey. She felt totaly confortable ragging me in public which was almost all white (suburban, I can drive about 1 hour down the road and eveybody wears boots even the girls)! I think that says a lot if you think about it. She said she hated big ol boot wearing people that stomp around....something like that. I did not respond although in another setting I would have. I got to say though the last time someone called me a honkey it was a white man.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I was at a public event not long ago and had a black woman spout off about my boots as I wear logger boots...She said she hated big ol boot wearing people that stomp around....something like that.
News flash...just because one is black, that doesn't exclude one from being an arse. Same as anyone else.

More pertinent, how might one express the opposite of PC? I'd be interested in hearing a few opinions.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Psychological Damaged and Mental Retarded liberals are the way they are and they want us to be PC like them.

I fixed the headline for you!!

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotsrevenge
Psychological Damaged and Mental Retarded liberals are the way they are and they want us to be PC like them.

I fixed the headline for you!!
I really like these responses. They tickle my sense of irony big time!

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

I was at a public event not long ago and had a black woman spout off about my boots as I wear logger boots...She said she hated big ol boot wearing people that stomp around....something like that.
News flash...just because one is black, that doesn't exclude one from being an arse. Same as anyone else.

More pertinent, how might one express the opposite of PC? I'd be interested in hearing a few opinions.

That she was an ass is not the queastion. To the point of the thread or where its drifting the lady felt it no problem to point out a race or type sterotype in public. It was and is politicaly correct to bust a honkey looking white man down in public. What she did would be like me making a comment in the same setting about some old black race sterotype. Pick one. The thing is in her mind a guy like me, whatever that means, didnt have a place there and she felt free to let lose, she was being politicaly correct. She like her whites a certain way...sneaker wearing polo shirt boys. But heck there are whites that like their whites a certain way depending on were you go. We are talking about just the sort of thing being politicaly correct was supposed to fix. Its clear to me this lady thinks being correct is to pop off about certain sterotypes that express in her mind a white type.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

That she was an ass is not the queastion. To the point of the thread or where its drifting the lady felt it no problem to point out a race or type sterotype in public. It was and is politicaly correct to bust a honkey looking white man down in public. Its clear to me this lady thinks being correct is to pop off about certain sterotypes that express in her mind a white type.
Wrong. Here's the wiki definition, and it does the trick for me:

Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term which denotes language, ideas, policies, and behavior seen as seeking to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, certain other religions, beliefs or ideologies, disability, and age-related contexts, and, as purported by the term, doing so to an excessive extent.en.wikipedia.org...

What you got is simple oafish behaviour.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Being able to say what one thinks in a room full of those that dont like youre opinions.....without being tagged and thought less of. Which may in fact not be possible. I heard a guy the other day call a call in radio talk show and say that southern baptist need to get back up in the hills and play thier banjos and stay out of politics. That comment is the fruit of political correctness and its main goal. Political correctness is about the new in crowd.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

That she was an ass is not the queastion. To the point of the thread or where its drifting the lady felt it no problem to point out a race or type sterotype in public. It was and is politicaly correct to bust a honkey looking white man down in public. Its clear to me this lady thinks being correct is to pop off about certain sterotypes that express in her mind a white type.
Wrong. Here's the wiki definition, and it does the trick for me:

Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term which denotes language, ideas, policies, and behavior seen as seeking to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, certain other religions, beliefs or ideologies, disability, and age-related contexts, and, as purported by the term, doing so to an excessive extent.en.wikipedia.org...

What you got is simple oafish behaviour.

I feel that her oafish behavior was do to the confort she feels in the new politicaly correct environment we live in aound here.

Look at it this way....what if I said loud enough for everyone to here....Man I hate the smell of jerry curl! Jerry curl folks commin in here and stinking up the place! That would have been seen as a race remark even if oafish. I see the wiki you posted as backing my point.....some cant embrace political correctness without going on the hunt for the other side of the coin in their mind. Its not live and let live....its pointing out types not covered by correctness for one reason or another.
edit on 24-11-2012 by Logarock because: n

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Being able to say what one thinks in a room full of those that dont like youre opinions.....without being tagged and thought less of. Which may in fact not be possible. I heard a guy the other day call a call in radio talk show and say that southern baptist need to get back up in the hills and play thier banjos and stay out of politics. That comment is the fruit of political correctness and its main goal. Political correctness is about the new in crowd.
Again, I must disagree. The banjo comments are an example of "Being able to say what one thinks in a room full of those that dont like youre opinions.....without being tagged and thought less of." A politically correct conversation would not generate such talk.
A lot of left wing blather might be made up of political correctness, but it does not follow that all political correctness is left wing blather.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

Originally posted by phroziac

You have it backwards, being politically correct is caused by psychological damage and mental retardation.

I definitely think that there could be somewhat of a cycle going on here. I just want to be able to go out into the world and have an intellectual conversation with someone and have real friends... that's my main goal here. If people are forced to be fake, or worse, aren't allowed to develop to the point where they know their own views and why they have them, it keeps everyone from this.

I agree. A couple weeks ago someone commented to me that Obama got the vote in Michigan. Im like, yeah, we have Detroit, whatcha expect? Hes like, whatcha mean? I said, well, who lives in Detroit? Immediately im a racist and blah blah blah blah, because apparently I just claimed a bunch of black people in Detroit voted for Obama cause hes black. No. What party do black people statistically vote for? Democrats. It's a proven statistic, even when its a white guy, so.......

I never even mentioned Obama being black...its a non issue for me.

Of course, I guess I could've not said it, Detroit isn't the only reason Obama won in Michigan. But Detroit is going to tend to vote blue....

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
To the OP, you seem to be in tune with the feelings and sensitivities of others, you come across as thoughtful and kind so if you've had recently recurring problems with offending people......maybe the people you've been around have been too fragile......could be due to a number of problems affecting a seemingly large portion nowadays, from the bratty overprivileged type, spoiled to the point where they take great offense that someone would even have a differing thought/opinion than theirs. Then all the way on the other side of the spectrum you have the type that has had a rangingly difficult upbringing that will believe they are right for the simple fact that they have been through more and arguably have a more complete point of reference.

There are so many people and you can never really know peoples intentions or what they're truly thinking until you've been around them enough. The process speeds up tremendously if two people like each other in any sense of respect or interest, where people don't feel the need to try as hard.

Things like this can and always should be natural. If theres too much friction, apply a little jelly or move on.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Again, I must disagree. The banjo comments are an example of "Being able to say what one thinks in a room full of those that dont like youre opinions.....without being tagged and thought less of." A politically correct conversation would not generate such talk.
A lot of left wing blather might be made up of political correctness, but it does not follow that all political correctness is left wing blather.

A political correct way of saying what he said to me anyway would be to say...."Did you southern baptist ever consider that you are not thinking in the larger frame. That the way it is where you live is not how it is for everybody else". Now the same question could be asked of him if he likes that shoe. But yea when I" say saying what you think" I dont mean language that demonstrates that the speaker is simply taking a cheep shot. You cant start out down this road by blasting with sterotypes from both directions. You take AG of US...Holder said we need to have frank race talks. OK. But his idea of frank race talks may be you shut up and listen. Thats what modern day PC is one group wagging the finger at another and full of assumptions. Insted of helping us work it out PC is the place were blacks can bring to the table a bunch of assumptions about white people....a big ol white paint brush as it were. Look at the fail of PC by its high profile prophets when it comes to tagging the Tea Party. At taging christains, NRA members, Jews, ect ect. They just get publicaly eviscerated by the PC gang.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Any idiot can express their views. Most do. The capacity to monitor and adjust oneself - relative to the specifics concerning social congeniality within a given situation - is a much more sophisticated requirement, forcing the brain-mind cooperative to be extremely precise and dynamically responsive. This being the case, being "politically correct" (in other words, socially adept) actually strengthens the brain's immediate flexibility, as well as its dynamic detection-response relationship with the mind.

So, no, being politically correct can't cause psychological damage or mental retardation. In fact, the inability for someone to be "politically correct" - regardless of the immediate and long term negative impact of that inability - is an indication of psychological damage and/or mental retardation. Or at least social retardation. Children are often the freest from suffering political correctness, and that should be a clue for any adult that fears the mental impact of correcting one's impulses when they are in public.

I was at a public event not long ago and had a black woman spout off about my boots as I wear logger boots. I guess I look like a red neck or an ol honkey. She felt totaly confortable ragging me in public which was almost all white (suburban, I can drive about 1 hour down the road and eveybody wears boots even the girls)! I think that says a lot if you think about it. She said she hated big ol boot wearing people that stomp around....something like that. I did not respond although in another setting I would have. I got to say though the last time someone called me a honkey it was a white man.

She's an idiot with a big rude mouth, and that's the long and short of it. Someone like that makes an ass of herself by refusing to be "politically correct" by keeping her stupid opinions to herself. Just because she's black doesn't make her "correct" regardless of what anyone suggests. Anyone that does insist that sort of thing is just plain ignorant on too many levels to adequately go into here.
edit on 11/24/2012 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

She's an idiot with a big rude mouth, and that's the long and short of it. Someone like that makes an ass of herself by refusing to be "politically correct" by keeping her stupid opinions to herself. Just because she's black doesn't make her "correct" regardless of what anyone suggests. Anyone that does insist that sort of thing is just plain ignorant on too many levels to adequately go into here.
edit on 11/24/2012 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

I refuse to seperate the race element. It was the catalyst..... PC gave it justification of expression.

Who knows, maybe she was projecting. She may have been in love with me and was trying to get my attention.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I would be one of those who apologize if I feel like I've said something that could be taken wrong.
What doesn't make me feel better are the people who say that I'm racist if I feel like I'm walking on eggshells about ethnic minorities, for example. I honestly do wish I could loosen up.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Of course conforming like a lemming will cause some form of stunted intellectual development.

It's why people are so threatened by those who refuse to remain in this 'yoke of retardation' and thus label them convenient buzz terms like "insulting", "rude" or "racists" -- on at least a subconscious level, we all know that keeping things pent up has a deleterious effect on our mental well-being. People naturally envy those who have the gumption to speak the truth.

new topics
top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join