It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Being Politically Correct Cause Psychological Damage and Mental Retardation?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
To start with, let me say that being politically correct means fitting in with your surrounding politically saturated environment.

So I will start by posting a conversation I am having on Facebook at the moment.

Me: Does anyone else besides me feel like they have to dumb themselves down to avoid offending people? This doesn't seem to be an issue of being smart, because it could apply to anything involving conversation.

Buck: like, what do you mean?

Griff: Offending people isn't the end of the world, darkbake. Just remember, it's their problem. But keeping an open mind never hurts either.

Me: That's a great question Brando - I'm wondering if it is just me personally. I find that when I am hanging out with someone I am always afraid to open up with them because I think they might find it offensive. It occurs in a lot of different situations, and could be hindering friendships / relationships for all I know. And I like your advice, Griff.

Cousin: I've been experiencing this most of the time I've been in Fresno, I'm so glad not be alone on this one!

Conservative Friend: When I was in Ireland I had a Danish friend who once asked me why Americans apologize for everything and why we're so afraid to offend anyone. I studied in Germany and Ireland and found people to be so much more straightforward with their opinions. I think Americans take political correctness to a point where people are afraid to say what they really think.

Liberal Friend: It could be the fear of liability and lawsuit that drives Americans to go to great lengths to be nonoffensive.

---------- ---------- ----------

I don't know if anyone else out there has noticed this, but liberals are very totalitarian when it comes to forcing people to have one view, and one only - theirs.

It goes so far as to fire people for the political beliefs. And with the current polarized political system, people in conservative zones might be afraid to think liberal thoughts.

This is BULL#.

People need to be free to speak whatever the hell they want to say, because that is an important part of processing information. Even if you don't agree with something, you should be free to talk about it, in order to process it, and understand both sides of an issue.

By ignoring important issues, not only are you keeping yourself from understanding the other viewpoint, but you are keeping yourself from understanding your OWN viewpoint

THIS ISN'T ALL - if everyone goes around afraid to talk to each other, we are all going to end up a bunch of idiots who never had the chance to learn how to socialize, connect to people or understand EITHER of the two political parties because ALL WE ARE DOING ARE BEING MIMICS.

Oh, and we won't be able to understand ourselves, either.
edit on 23-11-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
So I will start by posting a conversation I am having on Facebook at the moment.

Me: Does anyone else besides me feel like they have to dumb themselves down to avoid offending people? This doesn't seem to be an issue of being smart, because it could apply to anything involving conversation.

Buck: like, what do you mean?

Griff: Offending people isn't the end of the world, darkbake. Just remember, it's their problem. But keeping an open mind never hurts either.

Me: That's a great question Brando - I'm wondering if it is just me personally. I find that when I am hanging out with someone I am always afraid to open up with them because I think they might find it offensive. It occurs in a lot of different situations, and could be hindering friendships / relationships for all I know. And I like your advice, Griff.

Cousin: I've been experiencing this most of the time I've been in Fresno, I'm so glad not be alone on this one!

Conservative Friend: When I was in Ireland I had a Danish friend who once asked me why Americans apologize for everything and why we're so afraid to offend anyone. I studied in Germany and Ireland and found people to be so much more straightforward with their opinions. I think Americans take political correctness to a point where people are afraid to say what they really think.

Liberal Friend: It could be the fear of liability and lawsuit that drives Americans to go to great lengths to be nonoffensive.

---------- ---------- ----------

I don't know if anyone else out there has noticed this, but liberals are very totalitarian when it comes to forcing people to have one view, and one only - theirs.

It goes so far as to fire people for the political beliefs. And with the current polarized political system, people in conservative zones might be afraid to think liberal thoughts.

This is BULL#.

People need to be free to speak whatever the hell they want to say, because that is an important part of processing information. Even if you don't agree with something, you should be free to talk about it, in order to process it, and understand both sides of an issue.

By ignoring important issues, not only are you keeping yourself from understanding the other viewpoint, but you are keeping yourself from understanding your OWN viewpoint

THIS ISN'T ALL - if everyone goes around afraid to talk to each other, we are all going to end up a bunch of idiots who never had the chance to learn how to socialize, connect to people or understand EITHER of the two political parties because ALL WE ARE DOING ARE BEING MIMICS.

I would have to agree with you whole heartedly, I myself, have told my bosses to never ask me a question, if you don't want to hear the answer, because, I will not say what you want to hear. I think the whole political correctness bull$hit, is just that...[snip]. I've had people shove there opinions down my throat all my life, I usually will not give mine unless the issues affect me directly. Then, I have people mad at me, Do I care, HELL NO. I hope this thread does good. It needs to.
edit on 23-11-2012 by Kandinsky because: Circumventing censors

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

Thanks, Polish. I am hoping the same thing, because people need to be aware.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I dont socialize much to begin with but when I do, I say what I want, if youre offended, tough, grow some thicker skin.
Thats probably why I dont socialize that much, I usually end up offending at least one person in whatever group im hangin with.
Oh well.

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The only people I see complaining about "political correctness" are people that are mad they can't go around saying bigoted things without intelligent backlash anymore.
edit on 23-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Reminds me of a poster i saw on a wall that said "stress was caused by the minds ability to stop you giving someone who needed a good kicking a good kicking"

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

That's part of it, but don't forget that Pussy Riot was recently jailed in Russia for expressing feminist viewpoints. I think it's an issue that could turn on its head in another few decades - for example, Martin Luther King, Jr. and a lot of liberal activists were not politically correct in their respective time periods.

And history tends to go in cycles - so you could see yourself in a conservative cycle in the near future where politically correct has a different meaning.

I agree with the idea of ending hate speech, but attacking someone who comes from a culture where they learned it as part of their surroundings and had no opportunity to see a different perspective isn't the best way to accomplish this.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

personally, i think being PC is a crap shoot depending on the audience.

some ppl are already so dummed-down that they cannot even recognize the bigotted commentary flowing freely from the person leading this country into further strife than ever in its history.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
By trying to force silence and non-expression, the PC-thought-police is actually achieving the opposite of what they intend to achieve. People then harbor certain thoughts secretly and when they harbor them secretly, those unbecoming thoughts become stronger. Policing thought is how they turn normal people into bigots/haters. PC-culture is just about the dumbest thing ever brought to society under the guise of "good intentions".
edit on 23-11-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Skyfloating knows exactly what he is talking about, everyone should listen to him.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

Skyfloating knows exactly what he is talking about, everyone should listen to him.

Well...lets not exaggerate

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustfund
The only people I see complaining about "political correctness" are people that are mad they can't go around saying bigoted things without intelligent backlash anymore.

BS. When the PC crowd wants the public to fall in line with their beliefs, first theyll try and shame you into supporting a cause, then they use peer pressure to try and force you, else become an outcast, then theyll try to force you by law by enacting some kind of hate laws to make it illegal to call someone a fag or whatever.

For example, when I say I dont support any gay marriage laws, im called a bigoted hate monger or a right wing christian fanatic and I am none of those.
No, im not mad that I cant say what I want because I do it anyway.
edit on 11/23/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Pussy Riot was jailed over protesting Putin in a church and pissing religious cooks off. I don't know if feminism had that much to do with their actual prosecution.

Martin Luther King, Jr. and a lot of liberal activists were not politically correct in their respective time periods.

Yeah well, society was trash then.

And history tends to go in cycles - so you could see yourself in a conservative cycle in the near future where politically correct has a different meaning.

American society is progressing towards a more socially liberal, accepting and progressing society. I cannot see myself going through any form of conservative mindset. As conservative means traditional, and traditional values are trash. I like freedom and equality for all.

I agree with the idea of ending hate speech, but attacking someone who comes from a culture where they learned it as part of their surroundings and had no opportunity to see a different perspective isn't the best way to accomplish this.

If you're an adult in America there's no excuse to give for being hatefully bigoted against a group of people.

Plus people should be legally allowed to hate speech all they want. Once you start arresting people for saying racial epithets then you loose freedom. You want to work on ending the hate, not the speech.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Nice exegesis of the fallacy of political correctness, darkbake.

Dumbed-down cookie-cutter "good" citizens is exactly what a Totalitarian political philosophy would want/need for, say, an NWO.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

When the PC crowd wants the public to fall in line with their beliefs, first theyll try and shame you into supporting a cause,

I think you're referring to being intolerant to intolerance.

For example, when I say I dont support any gay marriage laws, im called a bigoted hate monger or a right wing christian fanatic and I am none of those.

You can believe whatever you want, just don't try to legislatively deny a group of people equal rights because you personally don't believe or agree in it.

No, im not mad that I cant say what I want because I do it anyway.

Well aren't you such a rebel.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

If you're an adult in America there's no excuse to give for being hatefully bigoted against a group of people.
so why then is Obama excused on a regular basis ??

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

You can believe whatever you want, just don't try to legislatively deny a group of people equal rights because you personally don't believe or agree in it.

Oh, Im not the only one, roughly half of the population are against it.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Oh, Im not the only one, roughly half of the population are against it.

Recent polls show this isn't true, but let's just say it was, why should I care? More than half of the south was against inter-racial marriage at one point. It was illegal until 1967 in most southern states.

I don't let other people do the thinking for me, I think on my own. Try it out sometime.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

so why then is Obama excused on a regular basis ??

Yep, everyday.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Like I said, "roughly" half

For example, a just completed national Gallup poll fielded May 3-6 shows 50 percent in support of same-sex marriage and 48 percent opposed, slightly down from 53 percent support a year ago.

source

And I do think for myself, as Ive stated in this thread more than once.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join