It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avnerd challenge 11/23

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Ok my fellow Avnerds, I've seen you guys pull some amazing stuff out of thin air, so here is your latest challenge. We pulled into a Kingman Arizona truck stop, and this was sitting there.

First pic

Second pic

Now, the external fuel tanks I recognize. The other looks like a horizontal stabilizer from something. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to identify what type of aircraft. I've never seen a horizontal stabilizer with markings like that on them, but they don't have the usual features of a wing, and are awfully small for anything else but a vertical fin. But if it was a vertical fin, where's the rudder?
edit on 11/23/2012 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

The flash insignia to me appears to be the Swiss Roundel
Link to Flash

As far as the Horitontal/vertical fin piece goes I am going to go out on a limb and say it is the vertical stabilizer off of the JA 37 Viggen with the pitot tube removed. I believe what we are seeing is the trim/servo tab and the rudder has been removed.

Link to Suspected Aircraft
edit on 23-11-2012 by perpetrator76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by perpetrator76

Oh I forgot to say there were two, the other reason I'm thinking horizontal stabilizer.

But Swiss was the first thing that popped into my hear when my other half asked who had markings like that.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
something old anyways

swiss hawker hunter?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Well that is odd because in all of my years in aviation I have never seen the insignia placed on the horizontal stab, its always on the wings, or the vertical fin... perhaps they guy was shipping two vertical stabs... did you get close enough to see any data plates? Perhaps the items are off to a aviation museum to be used as part of a restoration, that would be something id like to get into when im a old worn out A&P

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I don't know much about aviation so excuse my lack of correct terminology but I think it is this aircraft

It is the Rafale B. I think it is this plane because the top of the "tail?" is curved in the front instead of being a flat 45 degree angle into a flat top and also the drop tank from the Rafale B looks pretty similar as well, though I don't know how much those differ from plane to plane.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by maintainright

I think you're right.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The only problem I see with that is that face the vertical stab is missing a structure at the top. That and the insignia seems to be improper according to location and size...

Comparision

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
i'm pretty sure its the outer section of the main wing from a hawker hunter

the tip of the wing looks a little out, but its probably just the angle its at

and the OP said there was two of em

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I didn't want to get too close, since the driver wasn't around. I know how twitchy I get when I see people nosing around my truck, so didn't want to make him think I was trying something.

I'm kinda thinking the outer portion of wing might be right. The missing piece on the back of it looks like where an aileron goes, but there's nowhere for a flap to go. If it's the outer portion that would make sense.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by maintainright
something old anyways

swiss hawker hunter?

And I believe we have a winner!

In my picture, notice how there's a notch in the wing right by the second strap (the right side), here's a close up of a Hunter wing.

Notice a similar notch on the wing of that one.

Notice also how the aileron goes all the way to the wingtip on both of them.

And here's a Swiss Hunter, with the logo in the correct location too it appears.

ATS Avnerds rule!

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
woohoo, just pay the winnings into my bank account , cheers

keep up the posting in the AV forum Zaphod, this forums been very slow in recent times
edit on 24-11-2012 by maintainright because: because I chose to

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Wish I'd seen this sooner, I knew it was a Hawker Hunter the second I saw it

top topics

join