It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists unearth an ancient city of Wu

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I need to brush up on my understanding of the period. I totally flaked out on the possibility of there being a library to discover

That would be completely amazing if they found one

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Well it was designed to sweep out bourgeoisie ideas and support the concept of class struggle in ancient societies. The East German's archaeologists who grew up in such a system have written about it. I always think of how it worked when people bringing up suppression of archaeological ideas -

Reinforcing the adage that the historical record is tainted because of "ideology".

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I think I'd rather a library, or the sorts of which, be found at Gobekli Tepe. Although it would most likely be of some forgotten language, thousands of years died out and would take years to decode. It would be interesting to find writings somewhere that matched up to any one of the anomalous writings found thru the ages, that have not been deciphered for lack of reference.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

Well it was designed to sweep out bourgeoisie ideas and support the concept of class struggle in ancient societies. The East German's archaeologists who grew up in such a system have written about it. I always think of how it worked when people bringing up suppression of archaeological ideas -

Reinforcing the adage that the historical record is tainted because of "ideology".

There is always bias, the important thing is to recognize it. A while back I was shown a problem in Indian archaeology by a gal in Wisconsin who was trying to figure out why the 9th century Indian gate structures she was studying had iron spikes on them. She had all kinds of religious and cultural reasons why they were doing it. Because I've done research in 18th century Indian warfare I knew the answer immediately- it was to keep elephants from ramming down the gates but hey why would a 26 year old in Wisconsin know that! She defaulted to religion because she had a bias that Hindu's were 'peaceful' and her historical knowledge of culture was weak

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

I think I'd rather a library, or the sorts of which, be found at Gobekli Tepe. Although it would most likely be of some forgotten language, thousands of years died out and would take years to decode. It would be interesting to find writings somewhere that matched up to any one of the anomalous writings found thru the ages, that have not been deciphered for lack of reference.

Unfortunately an unknown language cannot be figured out unless it was keyed to another known language you can only get a hint of what they are referring too, usually numbers and the general structure can sometimes be figured out
edit on 24/11/12 by Hanslune because: Removed an evil misspelling

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

What I want to know now is which one of us misspelled deciphered decyphered ?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

WELL that would have been me but I have cleverly edited the MSG so no one will be the wiser, ER, oh dang wait

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

WELL that would have been me but I have cleverly edited the MSG so no one will be the wiser, ER, oh dang wait

Not to worry I can keep a secret.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

We'd Like to thank RZA and GZA for keepin' it real with the 36 Chambers.... "Deversify Yo Bonds Ni66a"

im actually pretty excited to see pictures....(i think RZA is actually part chineese)
edit on 24-11-2012 by Scamzarilla because: was not done

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Because I've done research in 18th century Indian warfare I knew the answer immediately- it was to keep elephants from ramming down the gates...

So the spikes weren't on the top of the gates but sticking out the sides? Elephants would push with their heads against the flat of the gate, I guess...

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

China seems to have a very active archaeological program at present as more discoveries come to light.
I really commend what they are doing.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Because I've done research in 18th century Indian warfare I knew the answer immediately- it was to keep elephants from ramming down the gates...

So the spikes weren't on the top of the gates but sticking out the sides? Elephants would push with their heads against the flat of the gate, I guess...

or this one

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Thank you, a picture is worth a 1000 words isn't it? Surely stopped elephants. They even looked bent like some still were forced to try by their "Mahouts".

If I might what were those other "religious" explanations for those spiked barriers?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Another great piece of history to be put into the archives, and thankfully the information about this find is now public. Most of humanities true treasures are not allowed into the public domain.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Thank you, a picture is worth a 1000 words isn't it? Surely stopped elephants. They even looked bent like some still were forced to try by their "Mahouts".

If I might what were those other "religious" explanations for those spiked barriers?

Mainly ideas dealing with horizontal lingam and the such - rather contrived - 'a gate to keep out evil and asuras and the such'

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xieon
Another great piece of history to be put into the archives, and thankfully the information about this find is now public. Most of humanities true treasures are not allowed into the public domain.

? Oh such as?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Thanks again. I had seen pictures of those gates before but never gave it much thought what they were for. Thats why I come here.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

omfg hahah was just thinking of wu tang something to add and i scroll down and bam!!! grrrrrr lol

great find, lov civ topics.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join