Ancient 5,000 year old Petroglyphs Stolen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Ancient Petroglyphs Stolen Along California Cliffs; Local Native Americans Stunned

Petroglyphs, rock engravings left by ancient Native American people, stood along the California cliffs for up to 5,000 years. Yet it only took a concrete saw and pliers for thieves to steal the ancient rock writings last month, leaving the surrounding community stunned.

“When we went out there and looked at it, it hit my heart more than it did anything else,” said Raymond Andrews, the historic preservation officer of the Bishop Paiute tribe. “These are old and it’s part of our culture.”

To some this story wont matter but to those of us who are passionate about preserving our collective human history this rings with shame and disgust. To me, this is just as bad as when the Taliban blew up the Buddha statue a few years back.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The destruction of human history is a travesty. There they stood for almost 5,000 years and some brain dead moron took a saw to them and destroyed the site. I'll bet they will either end up squirreled away in some private collection or on e-bay which would be fine with me because they'll most likely end up being caught.

For archaeologists and members of the tribe, the carvings are much more than just physical representation of the past.

“It’s a very important spiritual and ceremonial artifact in history,” said Greg Haverstock, an archaeologist with Bishop field office of the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). “It has a very religious value and it’s irreplaceable.”

Obviously many sites have been and will be lost to nature but to purposely deface a site for greed or worse just turns my stomach.

Thoughts?
edit on 23-11-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
First thought? This kind of thing just gets to me. It's like the idiot/s who cut down what was the oldest tree in the world with a chainsaw. (A 6,000-year-old bristlecone pine.)

Destruction of noble, human history, destruction of a noble, natural wonder.

Such wantonness is mindlessness gone mad, if that makes any sense. Well even if it doesn't, neither do the knuckle-draggers who do this sort of thing. What goes on in their heads?

Not a lot, I reckon.

Second thought? Thanks to bring this to our attention, Slayer.

edit on 23/11/12 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

it was probly this guy.......

belloq

but in all seriousness this seems odd to me, does anyone know what the petroglyphs said?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
That is just wrong in so many ways..

really? what the hell were those people thinking?

I am speechless..some people just suck..

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Sad.

500 to 1500 dollars on the black market.

The spiritual value is priceless.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Ah the plague of looters spread still further

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I live somewhat near this area and the Volcanic Tablelands (where this happened) is a popular place for bouldering (a form of rock climbing). In fact, it's a bit "world famous" within the climbing community. So, it can get a lot of visitors and tourists year round

I've climbed there myself quite a bit over the years. And, as far as I know, the climbing areas aren't near the glyphs and most folks respect things like this anyhow.

But, as they say, there is an a-hole in every crowd. I think this was bound to happen unfortunately. With so many people there, some idiots were bound to show up. I've seen something similar happen at Coso boulders - another bouldering area further south, but much less popular. There is a big, big boulder with some petroglyphs on it and somebody actually went and started drilling holes to set up a bolted climb. It was on the other side of the boulder and it didn't hurt the glyphs themselves ... but still. Some of the locals found out who it was, gave them a hard time, and tore down the climb, but the damage was done.

Anyhow, sad, but not surprising, at all.

edit on 23-11-2012 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
totally dismaying
i'm in 100% agreement with the rest of the posters here, it's an absolute travesty

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
A public scalping should be the punishment. Makes no sense destroy an artifact just for the sake of making a small monetary profit.

I expect the idiots will be caught in a short time. The reward is just about as high as they can sell one for.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I rode my dirtbike out to another glyph area a few months back. Although it is a bit remote, it's also somewhat popular. It's called Inscription canyon and is about 2.5 hours south of Bishop (the place in the OP).

As I began walking down the canyon I came across a glyph that said E=mc^2. Now, either somebody was way ahead of Einstein 5000 years ago, or this was vandalism. We went with the latter theory. Soon, it became clear it was very hard to tell which glyphs were authentic and which were modern day forgeries/vandalism.

Was also pretty sad ...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I can't say much that hasn't already been said. This is a crime to humanity.

I will say I don't find this as bad as the taliban blowing up a buddhist statue (did that really happen? didn't hear about that one.
) The reason I say this, is that at least a part of this artifact is still out there, and will possibly end up in a museum at least, one day, after it passes through the chain of greed. When some religious nutjob destroys a part of history, it is gone forever.

However, because of the nature of the "item" it has now been permanently removed / defaced.

Originally posted by sonnny1

Sad.

500 to 1500 dollars on the black market.

The spiritual value is priceless.

I can't say I know a ton about this stuff, but I would imagine it going for considerably more than this. You can get $1500 for some crappy novelty junk from the 1920's....let alone this.....

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Perhaps the Eagle and the Condor are about to fly in the same sky again.

These glyphs may be required for something prophetic?

I tend to error on the side of simple theft as well; however strange days are upon us.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
One last post to share some good news. The desert in California is filled with petroglyphs/pictographs. Some are far from any (dirt) roads, or even hiking trails, and are a real gem to find. I like to hike/climb a lot of the desert peaks and have come across a few surprising finds and it's always a magical moment. Very few people know about these spots, or would be willing to go to them if they did. I think there are probably many sites that are safe for some time to come ;-)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

You would think.....

Haverstock said if the thieves try to sell the artifacts, each piece could run anywhere from $500 to $1,500. He said that even if the carvings were recovered, it would be nearly impossible to restore them.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
nothing is safe in the new world

it really annoys me...its been there for thousands of years...but our generation....tut tut

the Nedjay of egypt dealt with these people...now the army does....but thats egypt

the native americans need to realise that in court..no one can beat them..get a good lawyer and get your sites protected by the government...

peace

BTW - i felt this angry yesterday...i saw a tree being felled by the local council yesterday....its been there for about 100 yrs...but some short sighted mugginz thought...hmmm why not....

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I appreciate all the feedback.
It's good to know others feel the same way as I do. I hope they catch these losers and toss the book at them.
edit on 23-11-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I dont suppose it is another venture by the Smithsonian to cover up the hatural history of North American habitation?
The glyphs say anything?
Way out in the wild there is a rock with Hebrew written on down thataways too.......
Also the Smithsonian dynamited the Caves of the Giants back in the 30s and dissapeared the mummies.....
They were in or near the Grand canyon....
I have a bad feeling they are going to be revealed to us as the thieves of NA s heritage soon....
There is only so much you can cover up....and they have a lot of splainin to do......

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by EthanT
I rode my dirtbike out to another glyph area a few months back. Although it is a bit remote, it's also somewhat popular. It's called Inscription canyon and is about 2.5 hours south of Bishop (the place in the OP).

As I began walking down the canyon I came across a glyph that said E=mc^2. Now, either somebody was way ahead of Einstein 5000 years ago, or this was vandalism. We went with the latter theory. Soon, it became clear it was very hard to tell which glyphs were authentic and which were modern day forgeries/vandalism.

Heartbreaking. I photographed most of Inscription Canyon several years ago, and loved the glyphs. I saw some modern graffiti but it wasn't very extensive.

I wish I could lock the canyon away to keep it safe.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by EthanT

Heartbreaking. I photographed most of Inscription Canyon several years ago, and loved the glyphs. I saw some modern graffiti but it wasn't very extensive.

I wish I could lock the canyon away to keep it safe.

Actually you can do something. The message these glyphs conveyed is really the most important thing about them. You and others have pictures which can help these glyphs endure. Not sure if their is a central depositary for such pictures but we should be able to ensure that they live on (in spirit at least).

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
I dont suppose it is another venture by the Smithsonian to cover up the hatural history of North American habitation?

No. If anything, you should go see the Smithsonian (I saw it last week.) You will change your mind, I think.

The glyphs say anything?

They aren't writing. They're individual signs from visions and are (according to the descendants of the people who made them) "invocations" to spirit helpers for the "shaman" (shaman is not what they call themselves -- it's what we call them.)

Way out in the wild there is a rock with Hebrew written on down thataways too.......

A modern hoax, written in modern Hebrew script.

Also the Smithsonian dynamited the Caves of the Giants back in the 30s and dissapeared the mummies.....
They were in or near the Grand canyon...

The caves of the giants was something made up by a writer -- it didn't exist (and if you go looking for it, you won't find any really old manuscripts or documents for it.) The Smithsonian would have no need to destroy something -- IF they found something like that, they'd put it in the museum and get millions of visitors and sell souvenir reproductions and postcards and lapel pins and so forth.

...as any trip through the museum will show you. Plus, there are ways of getting access to the archives (yes, even an ordinary person.)

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join