It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unanswered Questions about the Lincoln Assassination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I've watched a few documentaries about the Lincoln Assassination. But none of them answer some simple questions.

1. Why did John Wilkes Booth shoot Lincoln in the back of the head and then jump down onto the stage and break his leg and expose himself in full view of everyone in the theatre? Why didn't he just go out the back the way he came and escape that way? Then no one would know to look for him and he would not have broken his leg. This seems illogical and has never been explained as far as I can find in my research. Why has no one even addressed this?

2. Why didn't Lincoln have any security guarding him? Wouldn't it be common sense to protect the President? If the government wouldn't give him any security guards, then why didn't he just hire some? Otherwise, any random person could just walk up to the President of the United States and shoot him? That seems to defy common sense.

3. In the 19th Century, I read, US Presidents tended to walk around in public without guards like normal citizens. Is that really true? If so, then why didn't John Wilkes Booth just hide in the bushes or trees or rooftop and shoot Lincoln like a sniper when he walked around in public?

I assume that long distance shots were possible in the 19th Century, since a British marksman during the American Revolution in the 18th Century said that he could have picked off George Washington with his rifle from the bushes but chose not to for some reason.

edit on 23-11-2012 by WWu777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
He was an actor. Maybe he wanted to make a statement.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by WWu777

I've watched a few documentaries about the Lincoln Assassination. But none of them answer some simple questions.

Maybe you should read a book....

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Gee ya think since Booth WORKED at that theater he would know the best escape route?Evidently so as he did escape the theater didn't he?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09
Gee ya think since Booth WORKED at that theater he would know the best escape route?Evidently so as he did escape the theater didn't he?

That doesn't answer the question. Why didn't he go out the back the way he came? Then he wouldn't have broken his leg which impaired his ability to run from Federal troops.

I guess he assumed that he'd be heralded a hero for assassinating Lincoln rather than being arrested?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

didn't he say something while he was on stage after the assassination? i would assume he wanted to get to the stage so everyone could see him,

walking up to someone and shooting them in the back of the head is easier than hoping out the bushes while the target is walking

there was no reason there shouldn't have been a guard at the door, but for whatever reason there wasnt, i also find this odd.

why use a long distance shot when you can go point blank to head.

He said 'Sic Semper Tyrannis' (Thus be to tyrants) while he jumped to the stage from the Lincolns' balcony.

edit on 23-11-2012 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Sic semper tyrannis.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by WWu777

1. Why did John Wilkes Booth shoot Lincoln in the back of the head and then jump down onto the stage and break his leg and expose himself in full view of everyone in the theatre? Why didn't he just go out the back the way he came and escape that way? Then no one would know to look for him and he would not have broken his leg. This seems illogical and has never been explained as far as I can find in my research. Why has no one even addressed this?

2. Why didn't Lincoln have any security guarding him? Wouldn't it be common sense to protect the President? If the government wouldn't give him any security guards, then why didn't he just hire some? Otherwise, any random person could just walk up to the President of the United States and shoot him? That seems to defy common sense.

3. In the 19th Century, I read, US Presidents tended to walk around in public without guards like normal citizens. Is that really true? If so, then why didn't John Wilkes Booth just hide in the bushes or trees or rooftop and shoot Lincoln like a sniper when he walked around in public?

I assume that long distance shots were possible in the 19th Century, since a British marksman during the American Revolution in the 18th Century said that he could have picked off George Washington with his rifle from the bushes but chose not to for some reason.

edit on 23-11-2012 by WWu777 because: (no reason given)

#1 I cant answer.

#2 Lincoln didn't like the thought of consistently being watched and being protected he enjoyed his freedom. Interestingly he had more the one attempt on his life.
Lincoln's wife would spend his money, Lincoln knew it was because she was trying to fill the void of not having a child so he couldn't pay for it security detail.

#3 He walked in public believing that if the people wanted him dead they could easily do it even with the guards. The British marksman was taught not to fire on commanding officers a rule that us Americans didn't follow lol
edit on 23-11-2012 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Last try.1:From the stage on first floor was the FASTEST way out of the theater to his horse waiting outside.2:How was he supposed to know that he'd catch his spur on the presidential flag and break his leg jumping?3:How was he supposed to"go back the way he came"after EVERYONE saw him shoot Lincoln and walk past them?

new topics

top topics

join