It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proud American

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
It always astonishes me when people say “I’m proud to be an American”. Whenever I hear that phrase I want to reply, “Wow, that was a major accomplishment, how did you pull it off?” Like Lee Greenwood’s moving song lyrics, “… where at least I know I’m free”. Don’t you just shake your head at that line with a sense of wonderment at how many things Americans believe they know that they, in fact, don’t.

C’mon people, unless you swam to America from distant shores through shark infested waters, of which one could justifiably be proud, being American is purely an accident of birth. It can make one lucky or unlucky, grateful or disgusted, or any number of other adjectives, but prideful can’t be one of them.

Like gay pride, which is really silly when you consider that in the next breath they’ll tell you they were born that way. No choices, no great accomplishments, just genes.

Same goes for white pride or any other color, shape or size of pride. Pride goeth before the fall and the ones who really need a walker to stay upright are those who are so proud of being born one thing or another that they automatically despise anyone who wasn’t born that exact same thing. Watch them striding through your neighborhoods with clipboards taking notes on how everyone else must conform to their superior rules, and flaming across the pages of ATS screaming for bloody reprisals against concocted enemies, and marching around the world carrying explosives, trying to reshape everything and everyone into their own images of “acceptable”.

The really sad part of it all is that they don’t realize that they’re hated in return not for being born a better thing in a better place, but for being so stubbornly prideful about things over which they have absolutely no control. They are merely useful tools in the hands of the really prideful bastards who believe they should own the world, including the tools in the shed.

What we need are more humble Americans (and others) who are cognizant of the fact that one little slip of God’s wrist (or fate) and they could be a Palestinian grandmother sitting on a pile of rubble which was once her home with her beloved grandchildren lying dead in the rubble. Or a Pakistani herdsman with bomb laden drones flying overhead and a red dot glowing on his turban, or an Iraqi woman who’s been forced by war into prostitution to feed her children. Or stuck in some rendition factory where no one knows or cares about his suffering. Who, looking at current lawmaking, doesn’t know that if we keep going the way we’re going all of these things actually could happen in America to Americans?

Then again, on the other hand, defending one’s home and family against invaders and against horrific odds, wherever that home and family may be, does carry a reasonable justification for pride. Odd it is then that it is most often its the invaders with bigger guns who suffer an overabundance of pride and entitlement. Isn’t that kind of backwards? Shouldn’t we rethink our priorities and maybe take the Hippocratic oath ~ “first, do no harm.”

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

I have one question for you: What's your problem with people being proud of their nationality? If they aren't cutting you down, and their pride isn't hurting anyone, I think they are fully deserving of their self-esteem. Quite honestly, I'd rather hear, "I'm proud to be an American" than "God darn those filthy Muslims," or something along those lines.

In my healthy opinion, a healthy dose of security is better than a healthy dose of racism, because generally, all of these racist and stereotypical offensive conversations come from people who are insecure with their place in the world. With that said, be happy for them.

Because from the looks of this thread, people are being beat up on for being proud of who they are, or for being degrading about who other people are. Give these guys a break, seriously. Is there NOTHING people won't gripe about?

"Hey, dude. You're proud of being an American? High five, man. I was watching CNN on the Israelis and Saudis the other day, and you know what I realized? I just ate a turkey dinner the other day, enjoyed some pumpkin pie, watched television, and went to bed without worrying about a bombshell landing in my living room. I gotta say, we got it good. Be proud, my American friend. Be proud."

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

I don't quite understand your post. are you stating Americans shouldn't have any nationalism? It seems this should go to the rant section since i interpret this post as a rant against Americans. I just don't see a gray area.

Name one country on earth that doesn't believe they are better then another. you speak as if nationalism is alien to any country besides the US. Just go to a European soccer game with the opposing team jersey on.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I really think that most these people are fed stereotypes of Americans through our media and believe everything. They don't realize we have 300 million people all who are VERY individualistic, all with unique opinions. I love my country and I'm damn proud to be an American. I don't go running down the street with an American flag lynching anyone who doesn't share my opinion, like it seems many believe on ATS

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by JDmOKI
reply to post by frazzle

I don't quite understand your post. are you stating Americans shouldn't have any nationalism? It seems this should go to the rant section since i interpret this post as a rant against Americans. I just don't see a gray area.

Name one country on earth that doesn't believe they are better then another. you speak as if nationalism is alien to any country besides the US. Just go to a European soccer game with the opposing team jersey on.

its not a rant against anyone in particular, I have no problem with people who've accomplished good things in their lives or who appreciate the good things in their lives. I do have a problem with people who, as you say, think they're better than anyone else because of where they were born or judging others by their ancestry.

If a mod would prefer this post to be moved to the rant section, its fine with me.

link   
I think the main reason of OP is "Why are you proud of something you did not do or have control over?"

Having a Pride is different.

Why would you be "proud" of you skin color? unless you think the skin color gave you an advantage, in that case you will be called something else.

Ancestors? unless you are kin to Abraham Lincoln, even then how are YOU part of any accomplishment he did?

Why would you be proud of being Gay? well you should be proud of people who accept you as a normal person.

When someone says "I'm Proud to be Country A" they are being selective, and only looking at positive things the country did.

link   
reply to post by frazzle

OP, I would have to disagree. If having pride in being an American bothers you, you should ask yourself why.

Does it go against your own sense of nationalistic pride?
edit on 23-11-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I understand completely. But do I think it is harmful to say another country is better than another....maybe. Im just stating that how is this any different than any other country in this world? Im proud of what our system could be and i'm openly naive to think that the American dream could be real. I want it to be real but my government sucks...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by frazzle

I have one question for you: What's your problem with people being proud of their nationality? If they aren't cutting you down, and their pride isn't hurting anyone, I think they are fully deserving of their self-esteem. Quite honestly, I'd rather hear, "I'm proud to be an American" than "God darn those filthy Muslims," or something along those lines.

In my healthy opinion, a healthy dose of security is better than a healthy dose of racism, because generally, all of these racist and stereotypical offensive conversations come from people who are insecure with their place in the world. With that said, be happy for them.

Because from the looks of this thread, people are being beat up on for being proud of who they are, or for being degrading about who other people are. Give these guys a break, seriously. Is there NOTHING people won't gripe about?

"Hey, dude. You're proud of being an American? High five, man. I was watching CNN on the Israelis and Saudis the other day, and you know what I realized? I just ate a turkey dinner the other day, enjoyed some pumpkin pie, watched television, and went to bed without worrying about a bombshell landing in my living room. I gotta say, we got it good. Be proud, my American friend. Be proud."

Nobody chooses their nationality, its like being proud of winning the lottery ~ the luck of the draw. Funny you should bring up racism.

How did we get from proud Americans to filthy Muslims? Yeah we've got it good. So lucky we are that we all got a slice of pumpkin pie while others were getting pounded. Its just hard to equate luck with pride.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
We're proud of the fact we don't make ignorant posts on ATS,among others.Such as erasing the #hole the open hails from in hours had its leaders run their mouths like you do.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

Nobody chooses their nationality, its like being proud of winning the lottery ~ the luck of the draw. Funny you should bring up racism.

How did we get from proud Americans to filthy Muslims? Yeah we've got it good. So lucky we are that we all got a slice of pumpkin pie while others were getting pounded. Its just hard to equate luck with pride.

Seems you didn't get the gist the first time around. Allow me to reiterate - and if possible, simplify.

I don't understand where you're coming from on this. At the moment, you seem to be coming from a complete inexplicable direction, creating a whiplash effect: Be positive, get slammed. Be negative, get slammed.

I'd much rather us Americans be positive towards ourselves for what we are, than be negative towards other people for what they're not. And in the end, it looks like you're never satisfied. Almost like you're LOOKING for something to be sour about. Seriously, if someone chooses to be proud, that's their choice. What's your problem with it? Are you so sick of being an American?

Then move to Mars. I hear they have vacancies.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Nationalism is a poison.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
I think the main reason of OP is "Why are you proud of something you did not do or have control over?"

Having a Pride is different.

Why would you be "proud" of you skin color? unless you think the skin color gave you an advantage, in that case you will be called something else.

Ancestors? unless you are kin to Abraham Lincoln, even then how are YOU part of any accomplishment he did?

Why would you be proud of being Gay? well you should be proud of people who accept you as a normal person.

When someone says "I'm Proud to be Country A" they are being selective, and only looking at positive things the country did.

Sorry, the country has done nothing at all, it sits here patiently undergoing whatever people do TO it.

You've never heard of white pride or black pride or red pride or gay pride? Some take any of those as a positive and it can be that if the speaker doesn't set one above another. Therein lies the rub.

Of course I'm not any kin of Lincoln's and might not admit to it if I was, although he was allegedly the big "egalitarian", wasn't he? What, something like 650,000 Americans killed?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

So your problem lies in the perceived glorification of the American heritage?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

reply to post by frazzle

So your problem lies in the perceived glorification of the American heritage?

Glorification might be the operative word, yes, of any heritage. I'm glad of my own roots, they are unique to me and I spent years tracking them down (successfully) but I played no role in creating those roots.

My point in this whole matter is that we should be grateful for what has been given to us, not prideful.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09
We're proud of the fact we don't make ignorant posts on ATS,among others.Such as erasing the #hole the open hails from in hours had its leaders run their mouths like you do.

Very impressive post, now if it just made sense.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

Hmmm...now you have me thinking. What's the difference between pride and gratitude? These two concepts have very similar expressions, but perhaps that is simply a result of inaccuracy. They are both a form of appreciation, but where gratitude is concerned with the awareness of relief, pride is concerned with satisfaction.

So you're saying that instead of being satisfied, we should be relieved? Why not find satisfaction in this relief? Personally, that's what it's about for me. I don't call it pride, though. I call it gratitude because I don't take credit for anything I have. I don't want credit for anything I have, because satisfaction tends to boost the ego and -

Ah. And there we have it. Your problem lies with the ego. You believe that pride exacerbates our overinflated sense of importance? And that instead of being proud, we should practice gratitude and humility?

I see what you're saying.

Edit: S&F now that we're at an understanding. Glad to have helped make your point clearer for those interested!
edit on 23-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

reply to post by frazzle

Hmmm...now you have me thinking. What's the difference between pride and gratitude? These two concepts have very similar expressions, but perhaps that is simply a result of inaccuracy. They are both a form of appreciation, but where gratitude is concerned with the awareness of relief, pride is concerned with satisfaction.

So you're saying that instead of being satisfied, we should be relieved? Why not find satisfaction in this relief? Personally, that's what it's about for me. I don't call it pride, though. I call it gratitude because I don't take credit for anything I have. I don't want credit for anything I have, because satisfaction tends to boost the ego and -

Ah. And there we have it. Your problem lies with the ego. You believe that pride exacerbates our overinflated sense of importance? And that instead of being proud, we should practice gratitude and humility?

I see what you're saying.

Edit: S&F now that we're at an understanding. Glad to have helped make your point clearer for those interested!
edit on 23-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

So it boils down to semantics? That's probably true. In answer to your first question, I think it would boil down to the difference between damn I'm lucky and damn I'm good. So yeah, I guess ego is the big issue. That and recognizing the difference between what you've made and what you've been given.

Thanks for your input, apparently I can use all the help I can get.

top topics

join