It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia implements electronic tracking system for women

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Is this for real???
I haven't seen it reported in the MSM .. but then again, the MSM doesn't tell us things like this. It isn't 'PC'. Welcome to 2012 in Saudi Arabia. Women are tracked and not allowed to leave the country without a male family members permission. If she trys to leave (more like .. ESCAPE), a text message is sent to the family member informing him.

Saudi Arabia Implements Electronic Tracking System For Women

RIYADH — Denied the right to travel without consent from their male guardians and banned from driving, women in Saudi Arabia are now monitored by an electronic system that tracks any cross-border movements. Since last week, Saudi women’s male guardians began receiving text messages on their phones informing them when women under their custody leave the country, even if they are travelling together ...

“The authorities are using technology to monitor women,” said columnist Badriya al-Bishr, who criticised the “state of slavery under which women are held” in the ultra-conservative kingdom. Women are not allowed to leave the kingdom without permission from their male guardian, who must give his consent by signing what is known as the “yellow sheet” at the airport or border.

They can run their country however they want, of course. But it's really SPOOKY.
I feel bad for the women stuck in that kind of situation. No where to turn and no escape.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Not a bad idea.....................................................................only joking!

Is this for real? Surely not!

This is or would be jail without the bars.

Amazing Saudis

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Thats good ol religion for you. Keeping us in the Dark ages where we must believe that women are subhuman in comparison to men.

There is a huge majority of religious folks in Americas bible belt who are FULLY CONVINCED (thanks to the silly bible) that women are subhuman and that man is the King Supreme.

If not for FEDERAL LAW in America, poor treatment of women would CERTAINLY BE GOING ON HERE just like in the Middle East countries who buy into silly religion. MAN-MADE beliefs. EMPHASIS on "MAN"-MADE beliefs because NO "god would wish to see women as subhuman. Only war-mongering superstitious ignorant males would see that view and that is exactly the type of males who wrote the bible. HMMMMMM...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

They can run their country however they want, of course. But it's really SPOOKY.
I feel bad for the women stuck in that kind of situation. No where to turn and no escape.

If the women want out, they ought to be let out. You can't keep your citizens prisoner for no other reason than they were unlucky enough to be born female.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

When I read your post a whole stream of expletives flew out of my mouth, causing my husband to jump up off the couch and come running thinking something really bad was going on!

If there is truth to this, all I can say without violating T&Cs right now is HOW DARE THEY!!! If any man in my family tried that tracking bull with me they would be in a coma in the I.C.U., and that's not an exaggeration!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Anyone interested in learning about the Saudi woman, read the true story called "Princess" by Jean Sasson. It tells the story of a saudi princess who risked her life to tell the story of her life, and what it means to be female in her country. I admire this woman and her courage. It gave me a much better understanding of the saudi woman. There are 3 books total that I know of.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Just read about this FF,

Coming soon to a county near you, give or take a decade or two.

edit on 113030p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SoulSearching8

I read the first book, didn't know there were two more. It was enlightening to say the least. My pity is for the young girls from poorer families. A few excerpts from the book shocked me to say the least. It is almost unbelievable that there are no repercussions for how they are treated! Since you've read it I'm sure you know what I speak of. Horrible, just horrible!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

They can run their country however they want, of course.

This attitude ensures its continued existence. And if you think they have this right, why make an issue of it?

Our PC overlords teach us all that intolerance is taboo. It is not. Take a stand. You don't have to agree or recognize the right of anyone to do anything, particularly when you know it is wrong.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I dont see any reason for outrage, the outrage should be with the existing laws, not the technology to make it easier to enforce them. Electronic surverilance or not, they still have to abide to all these laws.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Perhaps the Burkahs are providing the Sudi women undercover opportunities to do things their husbands do not like.
The tracking device will give the men greater peace of mind in this regard.
I mean with four wives it must be hard keeping track of them all

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy
You can't keep your citizens prisoner for no other reason than they were unlucky enough to be born female.

Apparently .. they can. And they are.
Is this 2012 AD or is it 1000 AD?
I guess it depends on what part of the world you live in. :shk:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Another source: Electronic tracking: new constraint for Saudi women
-- EDIT: The article it seems is all from AFP, it reads the same as the OP's source.

Pretty crazy that our focus in on the notion of the "War on Women" here in the States, yet in parts of the world ideas like this swirl and have backing...
edit on 23-11-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
Pretty crazy that our focus in on the notion of the "War on Women" here in the States, yet in parts of the world ideas like this swirl and have backing

I'm glad you brought that up.
Here's a REAL war on women. Not some partisan blathering by american politicians about a faux-war on women. But here is the real thing. Men treating women as subhuman or as slaves. Nothing more than slaves. It's awful.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
i've often wondered how the US could consciously be allies with such an oppressive regime.
over the years, the answer has become apparent.
throughout the coming years, i suppose we will be forced to adapt equally.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
i've often wondered how the US could consciously be allies with such an oppressive regime.

The special relationship between US/Zionists and Saudis

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Where is our First Lady on this? Our Secretary of State? Our UN Ambassador? While Saudi Arabia will entertain their own business, as Honor just noted, how can we (the Federal Government) remain silent on this with the continuing "ally" nonsense.

This is like me being friends with a person who beats his spouse while advocating against domestic violence.

PS: Do not see my mention of those three positions to indicate a political slant or spin on the story. They three just happen to be all women with a lot of influence.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by forklift

Originally posted by Honor93

The special relationship between US/Zionists and Saudis

thanks for the link but it just wasn't as informative as i had hoped.
can't view the videos and no summaries were provided.

i do know about Aramco (from its founding) and OPEC and all the rest of the back door deals that got us here ... my question is to the intent of the US government to aid and give comfort to the enemy.
the life led in Saudi Arabia is not only offensive to American ideals but it is a humanitarian shame, how can the US continue to contribute to it ?

(it's a question that really doesn't have a definitive answer, that's the problem)

edit on 23-11-2012 by Honor93 because: typo

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
Where is our First Lady on this? Our Secretary of State? Our UN Ambassador? While Saudi Arabia will entertain their own business, as Honor just noted, how can we (the Federal Government) remain silent on this with the continuing "ally" nonsense.

This is like me being friends with a person who beats his spouse while advocating against domestic violence.

PS: Do not see my mention of those three positions to indicate a political slant or spin on the story. They three just happen to be all women with a lot of influence.

Treading carefully in a house of glass. Thats where she is on the issue.

Its a bit also like why the US (and other western nations) support the exporter of the lowest most intolerant form of islam and overlooks the effect that has on spreading the very extremism that the 'war on terror' is allegedly about fighting.

The mistake is in thinking morality has anything to do with anything (it doesn't). Or in looking for a consistently applied moral standard in how great powers choose 'friends' and 'enemies' (there never has been).

In the end its simply the algebra of competing self interest. Only the unwashed masses think in terms of good/evil right/wrong and they can simply be peddled any particular line as necessary to either stoke convenient outrage or distract from some inconvenient injustice.

Saudi will be protected and its foibles overlooked as long is its needed, both as a supplier of oil and a regional counterforce to Iran. When its no longer useful it'll transition from 'historic ally' to 'oppressive non democratic regime' in no time at all.

When the transition occurs the vast majority will accept the new reality without question.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy
You can't keep your citizens prisoner for no other reason than they were unlucky enough to be born female.

Apparently .. they can. And they are.
Is this 2012 AD or is it 1000 AD?
I guess it depends on what part of the world you live in. :shk:

Depends on which calendar you are reading.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join