It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

jam in my coffee!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
ok,maybe this a bit nutty,but anyway....
i woke up this morning to the utter horror of not having ANY sugar in the house for my morning craving for coffee!

no white sugar,no brown/golden sugar,no icing sugar,no sugar cane!!!!

i live quite aways from any store that sell sugar,and i don't drive.
well,being the inventive person i am,i scoured the house for anything with sugar in it for a quick substitute.
i tries bakers chocolate but that just pissed me off more!
it just melted into some sort off particle form on the bottom of the cup! and no,it didn't sweeten the coffee at all!

whilst going thru caffine withdrawl ,i racked my brain on how i could get my fix.
then it struck me!
EUREKA! JAM!
so i grab the smuckers from the fridge, pull out a nice size teaspoon of strawberry heavan,and stirred it into my piping hot cup of java.
to my amazement,it tasted really good!!!

i'm no chemist by any means,but i suppose the boiling water melts the geletin away,and releases the natural(and artificial) sugars into the coffee.
because the water stays hot,the geletin doesn't get a chance to solidify.
(i guess if i left my coffee for an hour or so,it would get a bit 'chunky'! but i aint gonna let that happen!
)
i also got the extra bonus of a very light taste of strawberries too. not in your face,but just a hint!
has anyone ever heard of this before,or should i be calling nestle for a business proposition!!!

any thoughts?
cheers

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Blasphemer!!

How could you desecrate coffee with jelly?
May the gods have mercy on your soul, you vile heathen.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Hmmm....to be honest it sounds quite disgusting but if it works for you then cool.

Have you ever thought of drinking your coffee without sweetener? I know it's a crazy thought but just thought I'd run it by you.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
S & F 'ed!

Nice fix!

I think you should add it to THIS thread!

Coffee drinkers and their devices are as wide as the sea...so it seems!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

I have been in this situation, as well !! LOL! But I did not think about jam, my first thought was about honey! Yes it was OK! Lol! When I told my friends about this, they looked horrified and disgusted! Ha-ha-ha, silly folks they are! One of them suggested to have herbal tea (in the morning?! without caffeine?! not for me!!!!), another said that coffee is OK without sugar! (yakk!)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

no sugar!!!!!! are you mad????
the whole backbone of the british empire in the new world was built on sugar!
(i'm scottish - its bred into me!)
the english didn't like the idea of not having sugar for their tea in the new world!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Whiteinch

oh i've used honey on many occasions,but alas, i'm out of that too!
(i'm moving soon,so im only buying food i will use till then!
herbal tea is for the evening,and the thought of no sugar in my coffee makes me shudder!
kinda like drinking non-alcoholic beer. whats the point!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

oh,don't worry. i'm a coffee whore!
and all morning with no coffee makes reficul a very up tight boy!!!
anyway, it worked well for me!
no holes in the wall,and i didn't kick the puppies or the kids!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Take notes, write this down, there may be a quiz later.

Tang is a perfectly acceptable coffee addition.

Instant cocoa is also acceptable, if you can drink around the mini 'marshmellows'.

Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to melt mashmellow peeps into your coffee. It's wrong, its probably illegal, and it makes baby cluthullu cry.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Coffee without cream and sugar is an abomination in the eyes of the gods. I started drinking coffee in 7th grade while living with my aunt and uncle. On Saturday and Sunday mornings my aunt would make breakfast for just the three of us consisting of a whole pound of bacon and a dozen eggs fried in the drippings of the bacon. There was so much grease from the bacon that she could make "over easy" eggs by just flipping the grease over them with the spatula. And she also made a large stack of pancakes or waffles to go with it all.

But it was the coffee that was the star of the breakfast. She had one of those old fashioned blue porcelain percolators and it was huge. She would put the grounds in the basket and then take the shells from that dozen eggs and crush them on top of the grounds. The egg shells acted like oil dry and absorbed the bitter oils so she could perk that coffee until it was strong enough to jump in your cup by itself and still taste good. In fact, the coffee was so strong that you had to put cream and sugar in it twice since the coffee won the first round.

My wife usually made the coffee but early one morning I decided I wanted some real coffee like my aunt used to make, so I made a pot like hers. I was sitting by my computer enjoying my coffee when I heard a strangled scream from the kitchen. My wife told me that when she took a slug of my version of coffee every hair on her body stood straight out instantly. After that I was forbidden to go near the coffee pot.

edit on 23-11-2012 by happykat39 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

I know what you are saying.

My coffee has been known to kill the faint of heart. And I have been banned from more than a few pots. But I refuse to put cream and sugar in it.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
My father put jam in his tea. I miss my father.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by happykat39

I know what you are saying.

My coffee has been known to kill the faint of heart. And I have been banned from more than a few pots. But I refuse to put cream and sugar in it.

I have to hang my head in shame. But in my defense, I did start drinking the high test stuff in 7th grade before my taste buds had time to mature enough to withstand the assault on them without help. My uncle, however, did drink it black and no sugar and my aunt only used sugar but she can be forgiven since she is a woman and her sense of taste may have been more delicate.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Here is a little tidbit from Fred Astaire to atone for my sins of cream and sugar...

Coffee Time - Wait for the lyrics at about half way through.

And a little inspiration too...

edit on 24-11-2012 by happykat39 because: added second video

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
what you could also use is condensed milk. I want to remind you that all that crap star bucks coffee is just coffee with sugar syrup and flavors.

The specialty coffees I make are basically coffee with natural desert syrup mixed into the milk. I buy natural fruit syrup for like ice cream. NO CORN SYRUP!

I will give you some recipes I use in my place I came up with. They sell pretty well.

Since you don't have a professional espresso machine with the vapor arms, you can just boil the milk with the ingredients.

These all mix better if you take the coffee and heat it with a little condensed milk after it is made. Just enough to make it tan colored. Again you don't have a vapor arm, so just add a little to the pot once you have made the coffee and lightly heat being careful not to burn the coffee stirring it in. I suggest you buy a stove top espresso maker.

1. Maple syrup, caramel, and some brown sugar. ( boiled into milk.)

2. natural strawberry syrup, wild berry syrup. ( boiled into milk.) The wild berry might have a different commercial name, basically forest berries.

3. eggnog, a LITTLE bit of natural strawberry syrup. ( boiled into milk.)

and finally something to treat yourself when you have time. It is awesome.

4. boil brown sugar in milk, cocoa-ed. when it gets thick, add it to hot chocolate mixed with coffee.

I suggest you make hot chocolate with REAL cocoa. The powder quick stuff is a sacrilege. You can use powdered cocoa if it is 100% cocoa. If not melt the bar chocolate in milk as you heat it the way it was done before everything became fake powder.

For this recipe add allot of cocoa powder in milk, heat until it is a dense chocolate dip. Add that to the bottom of the mug (a little goes a long way. If not the chocolate will dominate the flavor). then heat brown sugar in milk. About 4-6 table spoons into 1 cup of milk until it is well dissolved and the milk is brown. You may want to add more ( I do ). Pour the coffee, about two espressos worth into the milk and sugar and then pour that onto the thick chocolate dip you made with cocoa.

you can top it with REAL whip cream since you can't froth milk at home without an espresso machine. OR if you want to get crazy, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. top with sprinkled cocoa powder or chocolate shavings. OR BOTH! OR crumble artisan cinnamon cookies on top. OR! ALL THE ABOVE!

Orgasm and enjoy.

EDIT:
for some reason this is better and easier when you make about 4 or more servings worth. It is a great idea for dessert/ coffee. after a light meal.

edit on 24-11-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I just made some coffee and remembered this thread. I thought I would post a pic I just uploaded.

Traditional cappuccino....2 shots espresso, creamed milk, and 100% cocoa powder for the garnish....

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I thought I would include this one too

Strawberry infused cappuccino.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I stopped using sugar in my coffee years ago. I can now enjoy the taste of the beans, and you start to really crave it. Still gotta have cream though. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DC434L2A
Take notes, write this down, there may be a quiz later.

Tang is a perfectly acceptable coffee addition.

Instant cocoa is also acceptable, if you can drink around the mini 'marshmellows'.

Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to melt mashmellow peeps into your coffee. It's wrong, its probably illegal, and it makes baby cluthullu cry.

Oh wow! I forgot about my emergency pick-me-up first-aid method of adding Swiss Miss packets in my old office to the coffee and then ZOOM off I was! Fun times.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

I HATE scrambled eggs. But, one day I decided to mix a teaspoon of grape jelly in them eggs. DELISH!

top topics

join