It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update : Egypt Unrest

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The violence in Egypt erupted after President Morsi issued a declaration granting his office wide-ranging powers, and effectively neutralized Egypt’s judicial system, which now can’t challenge the president’s decisions. Hundreds of protesters both for and against Egyptian President Mohammad Morsi are rallying in the streets of Cairo, Egypt. The demonstrations came after the country’s opposition called for a protest against what they called a ‘coup’ by Morsi.

UPDATES :

22 November 2012 : Morsi declares expanded powers, bans breakup of assembly penning constitution
RT

The Egyptian president has issued a constitutional declaration protecting Egypt's constitution-drafting assembly from dissolution, and replacing the prosecutor general. It also rules that none of the executive's decisions can be overturned.
Morsi gave the Constituent Assembly a two month deadline to finish drafting a new constitution, ruling that no authority may dissolve it until the country's defining document is completed.
He further ruled that no authority may dissolve the Shura Council, the upper house of Egypt's parliament.

23 November 2012 : Egypt's Constitutional Court looking to impeach Morsi
RT

Egypt's Constitutional Court is reportedly considering the possibility of impeaching President Mohamed Morsi for violating his oath and undermining the country's constitutional foundations.
According to a representative of the court, “the judges are prepared to exercise the right to shift the head of state after he flouted the laws and constitution,” local media reports.

23 November 2012 : Egyptian anti-Morsi ralliers clash with police, torch Muslim Brotherhood HQs
RT

Demonstrators have clashed with police in Alexandria, Egypt, as they protest against Egyptian President Mohammad Morsi. Protesters have set fire to the Muslim Brotherhood's headquarters in several Egyptian cities, AP reports.
Morsi opponents also hurled stones at Muslim Brotherhood supporters outside a mosque.
State TV says Morsi opponents set fire to the offices in the Suez Canal cities of Suez, Port Said and Ismailia.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Is this a surprise to anyone but Obama? Maybe not even him.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

edit on 23-11-2012 by UltraMarine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Not surprising too . Obviously such controversial move will not be accepted . He wants to grab the whole power and become a New Dictator .

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
the Egyptian ppl deserve better than Morsi or the MB.
it is a good thing that his grasp is not tight enough to be as effective as he projects.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by UltraMarine
reply to post by Bilk22

Not surprising too . Obviously such controversial move will not be accepted . He wants to grab the whole power and become a New Dictator .

But didn't everyone but Obama suspect this would happen? The Arab Spring is total BS. It was used by radicals as a means to an end. It has nothing to do with democracy and everything to do with wresting control from moderates and those who work with the west and placing it in the hands of fundamentalists. Just look at what is happening in Turkey. The fundamentalists have wrested control from moderates via democratic means. I guess democracy does work - for a while.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Someone in the 'Arab Spring' not doing what people in the West expected?

Wow. Colour me surprised.

Going to keep an eye on this though, interesting times indeed.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

You are right . Egyptians deserve more than what they are getting after Mubarak era . MB's ultimate goal is to establish a Islamic state in Egypt .

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

reply to post by Honor93

You are right . Egyptians deserve more than what they are getting after Mubarak era . MB's ultimate goal is to establish a Islamic state in Egypt .
They got exactly what they wanted and voted for. They chose the MB to represent them. What else did they expect? This is just like the palestinians electing hamas, then being surprised by Israel's negative reaction. Elections have consequences.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Police fire teargas at protesters in Egypt's Tahrir Square

RT

Police have fired teargas at protesters near Egypt's Tahrir Square, Al Arabiya and Ahram Online report. It comes amid clashes between supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood and opponents of Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi.

In a speech in front of his presidential palace in Cairo on Friday, Morsi told Egyptians that his aim was to "achieve political, social, and economic stability.” He said that he would never use legislation for personal reasons, or to settle scores – and that he wants to ensure the independence of the executive, legislative, and judicial authorities.

“I will never be biased. I will never be against anyone – any Egyptians – because we are all together and we need to give the momentum to the freedom and democracy and the transfer of power. And in order to be able to take care of everything you like, I like to be honest and take care of everything you care about because I like to support what you want to have: stability and safety," he said.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Elections have consequences

Yeah , they will pay the price for choosing a Hardliner . MB has overtaken the whole system Democratically . They are now above the Law .

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

reply to post by DarthMuerte

Elections have consequences

Yeah , they will pay the price for choosing a Hardliner . MB has overtaken the whole system Democratically . They are now above the Law .

Sounds familiar. Oh yeah we have a "democratically elected" president too

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
All the world is a mess, money issues, political issues, street wars, ethnic wars, power grabs....
And the US is focused on shopping for the best deals.... L..O..L

The Us just seems to have it together..
edit on 23-11-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

reply to post by Honor93

They got exactly what they wanted and voted for. They chose the MB to represent them. What else did they expect? This is just like the palestinians electing hamas, then being surprised by Israel's negative reaction. Elections have consequences.
assuming the elections weren't rigged, i agree. they'd be getting what they voted for
(is it fair to assume they really knew about whom they were voting for ?)
ppl in the US still don't really know about the "man" they voted for, twice.

@ UltraMarine --> i agree and am aware the MB seeks far more than "control".
hopefully, the Egyptian ppl who desire better will prevail.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Sounds familiar. Oh yeah we have a "democratically elected" president too

May be 1 day he will also takeover everything

edit on 23-11-2012 by UltraMarine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Looks like that . West wanted to put puppets all over but not happening like expected . I guess, 1 day Hardliner will take over Libya and Syria too .

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Yay! We gave money to the Muslim Brotherhood.

Now their HQ is being burned.

Quick, find out who will be in power next, so we can give them money to build a HQ that be burned down next.

Maybe we should send them gasoline and tell them to just burn down a building that looks like it could be used as the next HQ.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

reply to post by khimbar

Looks like that . West wanted to put puppets all over but not happening like expected . I guess, 1 day Hardliner will take over Libya and Syria too .

They must have known. I knew, ATS knew, everyone knew!

Therefore it must be planned and deliberate?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

planned and deliberate?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

They must have known. I knew, ATS knew, everyone knew!

Therefore it must be planned and deliberate?

I don't think they knew. If they knew this was going to happen and it was deliberate, they would go ahead and intervene in Syria too and just hand it over to the Muslim Brotherhood. I honestly think that Obama's administration was shocked when the Muslim Brotherhood went ahead and entered the Presidential race, because in the beginning, they claimed that they weren't going to get involved in Egypt's election. Live and learn. That's why the situation in Syria is moving so slow.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join