It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was there a certain event, or experience that you remember that you believe altered how you thought

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I really can't talk about it on ATS. But one time I tried something I had been told by my government, parents, teachers, and about everyone else that it was dangerous and evil. I never automatically believed anything told to me by those people again, cause if they would lie to me about that, well then they would lie to me about anything.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by reficul

i took wane to my house after school one day,and i didn't tell my folks he was black. i din't think it important.
well,the look of surprise on my parents faces was priceless!
it all worked out good though.
i haven't seen wane in about 30 years,and i often wonder what he's up to,and if he realizes how much
he had an affect on me.
probably not!
but hey,i'm not complaining!
cheers

What you have typed is interesting, you had the chance to experience a friendship before you were exposed to other peoples opinions.
I like hearing stories like that.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
I've told this story before, but it's well worth repeating.
I was riding the bus home after a very gut wrenching day. I was so emotional that I couldn't hold back the tears.
A homeless man got up to get off at the next stop, and he saw me crying.
He turned and said to me... " I'll give you my smile if you'll stop crying. Look at me, I've got nothing else, but I'll give you my smile if it will make you happy. "
So I smiled at him.
THAT was one of the most profound light bulb moments of my life.
this man truly had nothing but the clothes on his back and the small backpack he carried. I should be thankful for what I do have because someone else is still happy with far less.
That small gesture from a stranger will stick with me my entire life.

Seeing another person receive happiness from making a stranger happy is a very profound moment, the impact on that person also could have been a very pleasing moment too.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Thread title question -

Was there a certain event, or experience that you remember that you believe altered how you thought

Yes, so many that I cannot count. I'll choose one very significant one. I cannot explain HOW it came about though as I don't fully understand it. I was on a hilltop and felt like an eggshell cracking open and a baby bird being hatched.

We ARE the MASTERS of our own ships!

If your Mother tried to kill you dozens of times and abused you every moment of your childhood; that's NO EXCUSE. That is PAST and now is now. If you ALLOW the PAST to rule you NOW, you are as guilty as the abuser of abusing yourself. You are the master of your own ship. Sink or swim.

This goes for ANY past abusive relationship.

P.S. I really loved AccessDenied's story - starred and special mention.

edit on 23/11/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by chloe2850

Hi Cloe.

The first 2 lines of my signature ARE the "events, or experiences" that
changed my life and my thoughts ! !

If you are as you are, it may be because you are quite strong by yourself.

Even as the way you are, if you want a very good "pep talk",
investigate the first line of my signature ! !

Blue skies.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
There is probably a real life event or two that I am forgetting, but the film Fight Club had a profound effect on my mindset. As soon as I finished watching it I searched the internet for information on the movie and life began to change. The way I viewed life and my own existence changed, my interest in philosophy was ignited and I had a deeper appreciation for the things I did have.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I remember when I was walking my little daughter (she was three) along a small neighborhood street in my hometown, and suddenly this huge shepherd-type dog came charging up a driveway between two houses to our right, barking and menacing. Scared my little girl, and normally - prior to that instant - this dog would've had me scooting into the street and really rattled as well. It was really big, and I'm built for speed, not power. But something in me clicked and I launched right at that thing, really angry because it caused my baby girl to scream and cry, and that dog panicked at the sight of me tearing after it.

At that moment, I realized that I had all the power over my own life that I needed as long as I was willing to exercise it in the face of anyone or anything threatening to impose itself on me. After calming my daughter down, it was as if a switch had been thrown inside of me, and I've never been frightened or worried about anything since that moment. My daughter is now 32, and I've won and lost since then, but have never lost a moment to fear or anxiety.
edit on 11/24/2012 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join