Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Heffs To HELL With Black Friday - We're NOT PLAYING Thread!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Where is it? It's been perverted by our consumerist culture. We're being bombared daily with social programming that tells us that we need to consume X, or buy brand Y.

Our culture has perverted us, and glorifies in fetishizing (sp?) objects.

This type of culture touches on everything, and bleeds down into the way we even treat eachother. This "keeping up with the Jones" syndrome, combined with a tight wallet is turning people into consumo-mosters.

The Walmart philosophy of "quantity over quality" is permeating our very way of life. We are being sold more lower quality items that need replacement at ever increasing rates.

Kids today expect a huge pile of presents for Christmas, instead of maybe one or two high-quality items that will last for years.

Personally, I'd rather get a $300 sweater that I can wear for a decade than 10, $30 Blu-Ray DVDs that I may watch only once.

Don't feed the consumer-culture, define yourself by yourself. Author thought-provoking posts, paint a picture, write a song, create a new recipe, investigate the strange.

Memories and experiences are the most valuable things you can collect.

Life is to short to stand outside in a line.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Just go get a tree she said, it won't be that bad she said.

I accept no responsibility for the carnage and death I just escaped. I told them I was hungover and not fit to be in public.

I was manipulated into going to get a christmas tree. So of course we had to stop at the grocery store, then Target, then Lowes.

Death toll:
2 by candycane.
3 by shopping cart.
1 by Douglas Fir.

The liquor store was nice and calm though.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I am glad you made it back, were you bitten or scratched?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

My avatar is waiting for the answer to this question with baited crossbow breath.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

To HELL With Black Friday - We're NOT PLAYING

Word... too tired anyway. A cup of hot chocolate [with whip cream] sounds good though...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

No, we made a clean escape.
No bites or scratches.

I think they may have followed us though, so I beefed up our defenses.
And we will have a watch posted tonight just in case.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm home too..been relaxing and playing WII with my kiddos..they are watching a movie with the neighbors right now..so thought i would check in...

People are crazy over cheap junk...I checked the reviews for a lot of the stuff they had advertised and pretty much hands down most got really bad reviews...I wonder why people keep falling for it? It's always the same cheap junk they can't give away on any other day...

Oh well...not my concern..I'm home, I'm warm, and I'm happy

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
From Black Friday to Dec. 28 I avoid shopping at all. I even hate to go to grocery stores this time of year. If it wasn't for online shopping no one would get a gift from me.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
There's a Fringe marathon on the Science channel.....

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Is it over yet? *peeks out from hidey hole* No? Well, I am going back to hide, might stay there until Dec 26th.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

December 26th is also a bane in retail... it's the number one day for product returns and is considered just as loathsome as Black Friday to shoppers and retail employees alike.

According to my experience the next safe shopping day will be January 18th - between noon and four PM. But don't hold me to that because my formula has a 12 hour margin of error.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

I've been watching the Doomsday Preppers marathon on the Nat Geo channel on my 27-inch old style, non-HD TV, which works just fine. (See Heff? There are others.) Every time I see Doomsday Preppers, I can't help trying to figure out which ATSers they are.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Thanks everyone who gave me stars for that post. I re-read it and thought, "I could really turn this into something".

I spent about half an hour editing it, nixing and adding parts here and there. I then emailed it off to my old man who is a jouranlist and has his own op-ed collumn for a local newspaper. He emails me all kinds of things he writes before they go to the press, and I thought he'd get a kick out of reading something his son wrote.

He replied back fairly quickly, asking me if he could use it for his collumn! He's going to make sure my name is in the byline!

I want to once again thank those here that starred that post of mine. Without thinking, "Hm..maybe I'm onto something with this" from the support I saw here -- I wouldn't have my first published article in a real newspaper!

I am reminded that the content of this community is entirely in our own hands! Thank you again to everyone ... I'm quite excited!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

That's awesome!

My luck works in reverse... my family mails my posts to my therapist.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Bills due yesterday but just too scared to leave the house.
edit on 11/23/2012 by ashtonhz8907 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I'm glad I skipped shopping and stayed on ATS. I just got called "right wing" in another thread. I mean this is EPIC! I am pretty sure the Bible, Nostradamus, and the Mayans foretold of this day....

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
this sums it up for me

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I have never stood in line like a bunch of cows ready to be butchered by big box retailers on a Black Friday.

However, I did find some amazing deals on grocery items up to half off regular price!

I first meet my Food, Shelter, Clothing, and Transportation needs. Everything else for purchase is SECONDARY!

Great rant OP

Btw, below is a mad scramble over some phone in Walmart....if only it was a fight over half price peanut butter (which of course I bought 3 jars worth)

edit on 23-11-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Thanks Hefficide, I sat in my store all day today with only two customers. Way to go. Who is going to finance that new WII for my kid huh?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

I've been watching the Doomsday Preppers marathon on the Nat Geo channel on my 27-inch old style, non-HD TV, which works just fine. (See Heff? There are others.) Every time I see Doomsday Preppers, I can't help trying to figure out which ATSers they are.

Me too! Sorry for the short answer but its true!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join