It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elderly couple refuse to move as a road is built around their apartment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

A lone apartment building stands in the middle of a newly built road after an elderly couple refused to relocate.

Luo Baogen and his wife insist on living in the half-demolished building in the city of Wenling, in Zhejiang province, China because they believe that the relocation compensation offered by the government is not enough.

Now the only building left standing, the five storey block is a strange sight as cars drive around it while the couple remain living inside.

I think this is great, I hope they continue to stand their ground. They own the land their house is on and have every right to remain there. The road is not officially opened yet. There's lots more pictures and more on the story at the following link.

Daily Mail
edit on 23-11-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Wow, never seen that before. I wonder how they go shopping, or leave the house at all? Seems it would be rather dangerous to live there. What if someone crashes into their house? Also, wouldn't the noise of passing cars get very annoying?

I can imagine that the government will come up with some reason to force them out. Like say it is a safety concern or something. Personally, I am proud that they stand up for what they believe in, and hope they get to continue living there.

I think I saw something like this in a cartoon once.
edit on 23-11-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

ETA: Thanks for bringing this to our attention OP, will be interesting to see how the government deals with this. S+F

edit on 23-11-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Renegade2283

It does seem dangerous, I'm wondering if they would open the road while they still live there. If so then they're in a lot of danger, especially when they want to leave the house. It looks like they still have electricity, I wouldn't be surprised if that gets cut off.

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed under one of the photos it says:

Stranded: The couple were left without running water and electricity ground after real estate developers dug out the ground around it

edit on 23-11-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
China did this i thought they would have made the move like the beggers they put in dog cages when there was a carnival because they were unsightly,wont be long until a car plows clean into the side of that house,

good the old folks stood there ground

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Reminds me of Stott Hall Farm in the middle of the M62.

I'm surprised they didn't get forcibly removed though?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

It's illegal to foribly remove them, they own the land.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by khimbar

It's illegal to foribly remove them, they own the land.

I'm still surprised. I'm sure that even in the UK people can be forced out for roads etc? I might be wrong though.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

its china they have one of the worst human rights ethics in the world(allegedly) i thought they would have been forcibly removed,
how do they leave the house without getting splatooned by passing motorist's

edit on 23-11-2012 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Weird to see two stories of things in the middle of the road that just dont seem to belong there the other one being the telephone pole in the middle of a Quebec Highway

POLE IN ROAD

SaneThinking

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
This story reminds me of a classic Bugs Bunny episode...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

So let me get this right they now have more property rights in China then we do in the United States.
Wow how far we have fallen because of fear and apathy.

I say good for the old people in China.
They had a choice and they made it. I wish I would have had a choice.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Wow! Remind me of this one....

The Nailhouse

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
In all honesty I would have thought the Chinese government would have just forceably moved them, maybe the Chinese Government aren't as brutal as western media lead us to believe.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Yeah I think that may be so.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
In all honesty I would have thought the Chinese government would have just forceably moved them, maybe the Chinese Government aren't as brutal as western media lead us to believe.

This^^^^^

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
So much for the brutal dictatorship of communism. I think it would be more likely they would be forced out here in America where we are supposedly free. If the politicians didn't force them out legally, the workers would harass them, the police would threaten, one way or another they would be forced out.

Either way, good for these folks!

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by haven123

its china they have one of the worst human rights ethics in the world(allegedly) i thought they would have been forcibly removed,
how do they leave the house without getting splatooned by passing motorist's

edit on 23-11-2012 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

Really? Then how come the US has more people in prison than any other country on the planet? Why is male rape in American prisons an expected consequence of incarceration?

I will not mention Gitmo, Abu Ghraib, blacksites, rendition flights...
edit on 24-11-2012 by DoorKnobEddie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join