It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google maps island, Scientists discover it does not exist.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

It seems Google have mapped an island that simply does not exist, a team of Australian scientists have attempted to search for this island that appears on Google earth satellite view.

"How did it find its way onto the maps? We just don’t know, but we plan to follow up and find out,” Seton said.

I find this a very strange, how could Google wrongly map an island using a satellite, when the images are taken in real time.

A largish Pacific island that appears on Google and iOS Maps, Bing and other online services has been declared not to exist by team of Australian scientists who spent more than three weeks looking for it. The Times Atlas of the World labels it as “Sable Island.” If it did exist, it would be located in French territorial waters. But the island has been shrouded in mystery, as it appears as nothing other than a black shadow in Google’s satellite view. In an attempt to solve the puzzle, a group of scientists from the University of Sydney set sail on the Southern Surveyor, a new Marine National Facility research vessel. “We wanted to check it out because the navigation charts onboard the ship showed a water depth of 1,400 meters in that area,” researcher Maria Seton told AFP. Yet the island does appear on the ship's navigational equipment. After more than three weeks combing the seas the scientists found no trace of it, nothing in fact – except for deep ocean. A search on Google Maps shows it lying north west of New Caledonia, a French-governed island 1,210 kilometers northeast of Australia.

Its funny how this also appears on iOS Maps and bing.

I am most definitely scratching my head on this one, I hope they find out what happened and put this right.
The corps will most definitely need to answer the scientists questions. I wonder what they say......

Please comment how and why you think this could have happened. Im interested into what everyone thinks about this one.

SOURCE

Much love.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
if you're that interested in finding out about it, a simple search will show you it's been posted on ats several times already.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyteeny
if you're that interested in finding out about it, a simple search will show you it's been posted on ats several times already.
of course he's interested - here's one link: www.abovetopsecret.com...
here's another: www.abovetopsecret.com...

a little kindess never hurt anyone!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by musselwhite

indeed! and if i hadn't had to race to the loo i would've pasted the link. so much so that when i got back i put "island" in the search engine and the first result is the main one.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I gave you a star and flag because I know how it feels when you post something awesome.........just to discover it has already been posted.

God bless ATS and their OCD members

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by musselwhite

Originally posted by ladyteeny
of course he's interested - here's one link: www.abovetopsecret.com...
here's another: www.abovetopsecret.com...

a little kindess never hurt anyone!

As courteously pointed out above - there are extant threads discussing this topic. Please feel free to add comments to either of the above.

Thread closed,

top topics

join