It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lucid dreaming - I don't get it

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Two times I have had the joy of experiencing a lucid dream..

I didn't really do anything special in the dreams, I just walked around, looked at the world I was in.
The world was pretty much a mix of places I've been to before, nothing special at all really.

I was aware about the fact that I was in a dream both times, but everything felt real to me, I really felt like I was there! One thing I noticed a lot was the fact that my body felt really good, and it was no effort at all to move around ( well I didn't move in reality, so guess that makes sense :lol

The last time I had to end the dream kinda early... I began to fear that I was walking around in the real world, while in the dream-world (and it worked, I woke up right away).

Now to my concerns:

Why is our brain able to render an alternative world for us to live in, that feels real, and we feel 100% conscious in? To me, it makes absolutely no sense! I mean, it's like a function completely out of place, right?

Maybe it's just me, I just can't help feeling weird about it

edit on 23-11-2012 by iamdavid because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
My best lucid dream:

I was a vampire that was a ghostbuster(not the movie kind, the tough guy kind). I was in training and learning how to levitate, I could control my hovering. It was so awesome!

We then had to go root out some ghost in an apartment building. I flew up to the top and busted a ghost through a window. The rest of the dream was even more awesome! But I will spare you all the bore lol.

Oh, and I was a "dry" vampire for what ever reason. That part wasn't lucid.
edit on 11/23/2012 by mcx1942 because: I should be beat with a grammer stick.

To the last part of the post: It just goes to show you how truly powerful our minds are! Let's not waste them!

edit on 11/23/2012 by mcx1942 because: added most awesome ending to post.

edit on 11/23/2012 by mcx1942 because: elaberated

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by iamdavid

Why is our brain able to render an alternative world for us to live in, that feels real, and we feel 100% conscious in?

Because our brains are amazingly powerful machines capable of so much more than we currently understand.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

...good question you asked yourself.

But for me, even more interesting question is, how real is this day dream anyway. Since both the lucid dream state and the wake state are equally feel-able. In a lucid dream I was able to feel the texture of the wooden table and notice that it is the same feeling of wood I have touching it in the "real" world. No difference.

The mind is powerful, and this reminds me constantly, reality is produced in our brains.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Worse, when I used to do this on purpose, I finally reached this odd state where I was awake and asleep at the same time, not just lucid dreaming.

I could lie there and listen to myself snore, the AC cycle on and off, the dog ghost-barking in his dreams, the old lady muttering in her sleep, and be aware that part of me was dreaming at the same time off over -> there in my head. I could sort of turn and see the dream going on, almost like on a movie screen, but could also turn

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Why is our brain able to render an alternative world for us to live in, that feels real, and we feel 100% conscious in? To me, it makes absolutely no sense! I mean, it's like a function completely out of place, right?

Everything we feel, touch and see is interpreted by our brains. As long as you have the ability to remember what certain sensations feels like it isn't hard for the brain to re-imagine. It's just a combination of memory + imagination + previously experiencing the stimuli.

This is why people that are born blind do not have visual dreams, their minds cannot re-create something it has never even somewhat experienced.
edit on 23-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
If our brain is able to render such a real feeling alternative world in which we are fully conscious, this suggests to me that our mind is, in fact, rendering what we know as reality. The difference is that in this particular "reality", we are commonly bound by our physicality. It further suggests that our true being, the one experiencing, is not of physical nature.
I have felt that we are experiencing concurrent realities, and it is the one upon which we put our awareness that is "real" to us. In a hypnagogic state, I have experienced dreams kind of drifting through my consciousness, though i
am still awake. And images of people and places and mundane things, that I know I am not creating. So it seemed like these dreams are always going on, whether you are aware of it or not.
Strangely, it seems we share the dream planes as we share the physical earth. There is population.
I felt like, really, we are dreaming all things at once somehow, but if were aware of this, it would be too much information to comprehend, so somehow the reality of which we are aware is filtered.
Has anyone ever felt like an action in dream has accomplished a result in real life. I have read teachings that offer we may resolve karmas in our dreams. So lucid dreaming may be a powerful device to help oneself and others.
In my most memorable lucid dream, I was in a giant house and explored thoroughly, opening doors and drawers.
I do not remember finding anything interesting.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

You describe the experience I have had, well. the dream being there, already, over there->in your head.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ecapsretuo

I think people dream to some extent all the time, even when awake, we're just not aware of it that clearly. When I'm tired, I'm prone to microsleep and I'll be dreaming in little split second bits while I'm talking to you. It's sort of disturbing, in that that state leaves me sort of vague and scattered, and I end up having to spend mental effort corralling my horses again, so to speak.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I used to lucid dream all the time when i was little, like up to 5 years old.
I was able to lift myself onto a platform of air and then i would take off and fly around!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Some of my lucid dreams have felt more "real" than reality.. to the point I became concerned I would "forget" I was in fact dreaming and could get my "worlds" mixed up.

Then I remembered at least part of me was creating both of them.. so I quit worrying and finally began living the dream

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   

I am a Lucid Dreamer and ALWAYS KNOW I am dreaming. This has it's benefits as I can to an extent mold my dreams and make them more exciting.

The Human Subconscious is one of three different individual ego's or Ids in the Brain. The Left and Right Hemispheres constitute two personas and the Subconscious makes three.

The Subconscious is like a Recording Computer which stores every bit of data that a persons senses have ever perceived as well as storing every thought that has ever been. Thus when you dream your Subconscious Mind uses this time to create scenarios based on experiences that the dreamer may or may not recall being in when awake.

The Subconscious uses these scenarios as a way to communicate to the Left and Right Hemispheres as a form of working out issues that a persons Conscious Mind has either not been able to solve or the Subconscious is alerting the Conscious Mind to issues that the Conscious Mind may not be aware of.

The Subconscious is a very tricky thing to understand. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Hey there,

Long time lurker, but this post inspired me to create a username and give my two cents. I have been practicing Lucid dreaming and astral projection for about two years now. There is a plethora of information and teqniques on the web that you could find with any search engine. Anyway after a recent incounter with what I will refer to as my "spirit guides" I was informed of this little factiod:

We are all creators. We can manifest our own reality. In this plane/demention/real world, we can't manifest things directly with thought, only with our actions, emotions, and intentions. This ties into the law of attraction, but that is for a different thread. In the dream state we are operating at a higher frequency. In this plane we are able to manifest anything simply by willing it to be there.

When you get good at this, you can create just about any experience you want. I do not know this, or anything for that matter, to be 100% truth, but I can only speak on my experiences and hope it helps you find the answer you are looking for. Good luck and safe travels!

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
This is similar to what is happening to each of you right now. You are creating EVERYTHING you see around you, including the observable universe, , and you're experiencing that creation through a viewpoint you call 'you'.
edit on 24-11-2012 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by breakONthrough38
Hey there,

Long time lurker, but this post inspired me to create a username and give my two cents. I have been practicing Lucid dreaming and astral projection for about two years now. There is a plethora of information and teqniques on the web that you could find with any search engine. Anyway after a recent incounter with what I will refer to as my "spirit guides" I was informed of this little factiod:

We are all creators. We can manifest our own reality. In this plane/demention/real world, we can't manifest things directly with thought, only with our actions, emotions, and intentions. This ties into the law of attraction, but that is for a different thread. In the dream state we are operating at a higher frequency. In this plane we are able to manifest anything simply by willing it to be there.

When you get good at this, you can create just about any experience you want. I do not know this, or anything for that matter, to be 100% truth, but I can only speak on my experiences and hope it helps you find the answer you are looking for. Good luck and safe travels!

Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. Isaiah 46:9

John 14 v 26    Jesus said:  “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”

Have you given no thought to the fact that these supposed spirits identify themselves as various identities to different people? Extraterrestrials to those interested in ufology, spirit guides to shamans and pagans, ascended masters to those into occultism, angels to those in apostate Christianity, and little blue gods to Hindus? Does it give you no cause for concern that all of these supposed entities tell variations of the same message - that their knowledge is true wisdom, that man can be or is a god, that Jesus was not an incarnation of God, that there is no such thing as sin and that humanity will be ascending, spiritually evolving and gaining the true divine consciousness?

There is only one truth and it doesn't live in the vain imaginations of the human mind and heart. There is a very good reason why diviniation is completely off-limits to those whose faith is in the True Creator of Heaven and Earth ;

2 Thess 2 v 9-11   “Even him who is coming after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, and with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not a love of the truth that they might be saved. For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they might believe what is false in order that may all may be judged who did not believe in the truth but took pleasure in wickedness”

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   

I agree with TrustFund's explanation. Our brains are very good at recreating reality, misperceiving it and screwing with it.

Nevertheless, I look at some of the NDE literature and fall short of the certainty that our consensus reality is the only one. If any of that is accurate (and interpreted correctly) it appears that consciousness potentially exists elsewhere and outside of our skulls. *If* that is so, it opens up a discussion about dreams and other realities.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I've practiced lucid dreaming for some years now. I used to program my digital clock to beep every hour. After some time, I would associate the deep with becoming suspicious of whether or not I'm awake. I feel it's very rewarding. Flying dreams make me feel so good and I almost feel refreshed after a night of exploring the world by flying.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamdavid
Two times I have had the joy of experiencing a lucid dream..

I didn't really do anything special in the dreams, I just walked around, looked at the world I was in.
The world was pretty much a mix of places I've been to before, nothing special at all really.

I was aware about the fact that I was in a dream both times, but everything felt real to me, I really felt like I was there! One thing I noticed a lot was the fact that my body felt really good, and it was no effort at all to move around ( well I didn't move in reality, so guess that makes sense :lol

The last time I had to end the dream kinda early... I began to fear that I was walking around in the real world, while in the dream-world (and it worked, I woke up right away).

Now to my concerns:

Maybe it's just me, I just can't help feeling weird about it

edit on 23-11-2012 by iamdavid because: (no reason given)

How do you know you aren't dreaming right now?

Im not talking Inception kinda doubting your reality, but to be honest, we can't really be sure can we?

So many things in the universe dont quite make sense or can fit inside the human mind, so anything is possible in my opinion. Right now I'm just enjoying this experience a bit too much so I'm not leaving any time soon.

But lets imagine "Vanilla Sky".... That's not too far fetched is it. This could all be one amazing very lucid dream that unfolds as we lay in stasis. Maybe right now, we in the hybernation deck of a shuttle headed to the next Earth and all this is a way of teaching the surviving generations where we came from in a pleasant but efficient manner.

Perception is a curse and a reward at the same time. So much info... what to do with it all.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The real world exists, and your mind contains memories and projections based on the real world, in that sense, a dream is a combination of memory and imagination, and because these are things that you have experienced, the experience of them in a dream gives you the impression that a dream can be "inescapeable" - to "lucid dream" is to tamper with the dream process and create a non-linear perception in a state of awareness that is linear and story-like.
edit on 16-12-2012 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Has anyone heard of the Remee mask? Apparently it uses LED lights in the mask to trigger lucid dreams. I haven't had any lucid dreams in a while so was thinking of getting one but have no idea if it would work. I love spiritual and metaphysical lucid dream now and then.. they really take me on a spiritual journey. Not sure if it's a scam or not.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join