It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nov 29th - Palestinian UN bid - another flashpoint incoming

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by theMediator
I find this situation very unexpected.
Maybe I'm paranoid but there's more to this.

There is, it is old and it is new, and it reaching a potential explosive point.

There are groups on both sides of the Israeli/Palestinian issues that do not want any kind of stability and peace in that region.

Israel is always going to have to fight for its existence in that region. Geographically you are talking about an already extremely small country. There is no where for them to "grow" and yet the populations on both sides are growing, there is only one way all of this can end, no matter what your perspective is... It will end badly!

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Here is an interesting development, if true:

"Palestine UN Vote Expected Thursday; Hamas Endorses Plan"
By Jason Ditz
Global Research, November 27, 2012
Antiwar.com 26 November 2012
www.globalresearch.ca...

The long-discussed UN draft resolution on upgrading Palestine’s status to “non-member observer state” is expected to come to a vote on Thursday, and is receiving a last-minute shot in the arm with an endorsement from Hamas.

Hamas had previously expressed ambivalence about the move, but in the wake of last week’s Gaza War is moving toward reconciliation with Fatah, and today’s endorsement underscores how much those unity talks have already progressed.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
WOW! UN bid passes!

Votes for: 138

against: 9

abstention: 41

* I think those are the correct #'s

eta: Here is the breakdown:

edit on 29-11-2012 by curiouscanadian777 because: add photo

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I wonder what the Palestinians did to upset Micronesia

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Yay, they got "Observer Status". And that means precisely nothing? They get to be in the room and watch?

What am I missing here?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by curiouscanadian777

Australia, Germany and UK abstained, huh? US is one of nine that voted no. Boy are we on the winning team.
Thanks for the rundown.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
Yay, they got "Observer Status". And that means precisely nothing? They get to be in the room and watch?

What am I missing here?

Observers have the right to speak at United Nations General Assembly meetings, participate in procedural votes, and to sponsor and sign resolutions,[clarification needed] but not to vote on resolutions and other substantive matters. Various other rights (e.g. to speak in debates, to submit proposals and amendments, the right of reply, to raise points of order and to circulate documents, etc.) are given selectively to some observers only. So far, the EU is the only international organisation to hold these enhanced powers.[2]

en.wikipedia.org...

Before, the Palestinian Authority had "entity" observer status. Now they have "non-member state" observer status.

As a non-member state observer...

Non-member observer states are recognized as sovereign states, and are free to submit a petition to join as a full member at their discretion.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

What am I missing here?

It basically means they now get to stand up in front of the General Assembly and be officially recognized as a proper entity, as it were. They can make a lot of noise, request legal action against Israel, have their grievances fully heard, etc. No, it doesn't give them any real power, but it does mean they can make life hard for Israel. It's like before they were a member of the audience at a talk show - and now they've been given a microphone and are standing up

It's also a pretty major symbolic achievement for the Palestinian people as well.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

reply to post by Curio

Thanks for your replies, I am so glad as well that the Palestinians heve been allowed into the room to observe (but not to vote) during General Assembly meetings.

NON-member, OBSERVER- status is just what it sounds like. Reminds me of the HOA meetings where I live. I can go, but can't vote or speak in the meetings. So yah, whoopie.

According to your posts, they can now apply for full member status, (isn't that what they just did, I thought?) Oh, not, I see. They're in the room at least, in the back, craning to hear whats being discussed.

Ultimately the General assembly is an opinion forum with resolutions passed that really don't mean a thing if the nations involved don't abide by them. As I recall the UN passed ones regarding this matter of "Palestine" in 1967 that Israel never acknowledged. Well they did, but just kept stealing land and bombing the Palestinians anyway.

So... you don't want to know what a sham I think the UN ultimately is. Its really run by the Security Council, the elite member nations that make all the important decisions. 5 of these are the biggest arms dealers on the planet; Russia, China, the UK, USA and France.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Curio

Thanks for your replies, I am so glad as well that the Palestinians heve been allowed into the room to observe (but not to vote) during General Assembly meetings.

NON-member, OBSERVER- status is just what it sounds like. Reminds me of the HOA meetings where I live. I can go, but can't vote or speak in the meetings. So yah, whoopie.

According to your posts, they can now apply for full member status, (isn't that what they just did, I thought?) Oh, not, I see. They're in the room at least, in the back, craning to hear whats being discussed.

Ultimately the General assembly is an opinion forum with resolutions passed that really don't mean a thing if the nations involved don't abide by them. As I recall the UN passed ones regarding this matter of "Palestine" in 1967 that Israel never acknowledged. Well they did, but just kept stealing land and bombing the Palestinians anyway.

So... you don't want to know what a sham I think the UN ultimately is. Its really run by the Security Council, the elite member nations that make all the important decisions. 5 of these are the biggest arms dealers on the planet; Russia, China, the UK, USA and France.

I agree with you 100% about the Security Council. The whole system is completely broken...broken to the point of absurdity.

Don't underestimate the General Assembly too much though. Your description isn't quite right - they were at the back clambering to be heard before....now they get to come forward, have their say and everybody has to listen. Of course they can be ignored, but it's a good stage to have a rant and gain sympathy from other states, which in turn can put pressure on Israel.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Curio

now they get to come forward, have their say and everybody has to listen. Of course they can be ignored, but it's a good stage to have a rant and gain sympathy from other states, which in turn can put pressure on Israel.

Agreed. The vote was the most telling thing of all. The current world opinion has the US and Israel looking stupid claiming the tide of opinion hasn't changed a thing. I do so hope that this will stay in the limelight and become more of an issue as well. The only way anything can really change is if the balance of power changes.

That change begins with change in the balance of opinion. My concern is that the western media will go silent on the issue and hope it fades. But I don't think the world opinion is retractable. They aren't fooled any more by poor little Israel crying about a few poop rockets. They exposed themselves to the modern world of technology on the web and the court of world opinion has found them wanting. I bet they are kicking themselves for having made such a big deal out of their little shock and awe display in Gaza.

Operation "Pillar of Doubt" was a horrendous failure.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

That change begins with change in the balance of opinion. My concern is that the western media will go silent on the issue and hope it fades. But I don't think the world opinion is retractable. They aren't fooled any more by poor little Israel crying about a few poop rockets. They exposed themselves to the modern world of technology on the web and the court of world opinion has found them wanting. I bet they are kicking themselves for having made such a big deal out of their little shock and awe display in Gaza.

Operation "Pillar of Doubt" was a horrendous failure.

Guess who else is exposing themselves? Do you think the international community is going to recognize this now that they've voted on the side of Muslim terrorists?

"I bet they are going to end up kicking themselves for having made such a big deal out of their little shock and awe display in Gaza." That works both ways.

Larijani: Shiite Clerics in Iraq See Tehran behind Tel Aviv's Failure in Gaza

TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani said that all the Shiite clerics residing in Iraq are aware of Tehran's key role in regional developments, especially in Gaza, and added that they consider Iran as the main cause of Gazans' victory over the Zionist regime during recent 8-day war.

english.farsnews.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Guess who else is exposing themselves? Do you think the international community is going to recognize this now that they've voted on the side of Muslim terrorists?

The "international community" you speak of doesn't exist. Didn't you see the vote tallies in the UN? Even the UK, Australia and Germany abstained. What community? America and Israel are among only 8 nations in your "community". Over a 130 nations voted to recognize the Palestinians.

Besides, referring to whole nations as "Muslim Terrorists" is misleading. Like Axis of Evil or Christian warmongers, it attempts to degrade one side to sub human or enemy status. Are you that gullible to the western media's guiles?

I guess so if you aid their spin that all terror roads lead to Iran. They are next on the NWO agendas hit list aren't they? Try not to be so obvious about it.
edit on 1-12-2012 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Besides, referring to whole nations as "Muslim Terrorists" is misleading. Like Axis of Evil or Christian warmongers, it attempts to degrade one side to sub human or enemy status. Are you that gullible to the western media's guiles?

You mean like your "poor little Israel" statement?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I guess so if you aid their spin that all terror roads lead to Iran. They are next on the NWO agendas hit list aren't they? Try not to be so obvious about it.

I don't have to be obvious. Iran's doing a good job of that all by themselves.

If Iran makes it to the "hit list", now you know why.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I don't have to be obvious. Iran's doing a good job of that all by themselves.

Iran hasn't done anything. All the media sponsored anti Iran, WMD and "bad" presidents is well worn. Still works with you though?

That is the most amazing thing about Western Media. The same Regime Change, Evil dictator and WMD rhetoric used in Iraq (twice) Afghanistan and Libya is still swallowed by the west... One_More_Time.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

You obviously didn't even notice who my source was.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join