It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity Rover's Secret Historic Breakthrough? Speculation Centers on Organic Molecules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Curiosity Rover's Secret Historic Breakthrough? Speculation Centers on Organic Molecules

www.wired.com

Much of the internet is buzzing over upcoming “big news” from NASA’s Curiosity rover, but the space agency’s scientists are keeping quiet about the details.

The report comes by way of the rover’s principal investigator, geologist John Grotzinger of Caltech, who said that Curiosity has uncovered exciting new results from a sample of Martian soil recently scooped up and placed in the Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM) instrument.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
blog.chron.com
mashable.com

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I apologize if their is already a topic started. I couldn't find it.
But I was surprised I didn't see this one at the top of the list.

This is legit. NASA has a huge secret concerning Mars but they are keeping quiet about it (probably to make sure they aren't wrong)

Either way, they are saying if they are correct- this one is for the history books.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPlow

We've already discovered "organic molecules" in comets and asteroids.

Organics on Mars could be the result of meteoric imacts. (MSL is in a crater, you know?)

Any "eathshattering" news would have to be far different.

jw

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

thats right..

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
reply to post by MrPlow

Organics on Mars could be the result of meteoric imacts. (MSL is in a crater, you know?)

jw

Building blocks ...pieces of a puzzle, were found in a asteroid - which lent credence to the theory that life could have began on earth from impacts carrying these compounds.

Either way, I wouldn't discount the possibilities because the headline of the article was loosely put together.
edit on 22-11-2012 by MrPlow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
One of the astronauts from the secret military space program accidently dropped his mobile phone there....Nasa just found it.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I do think it will be organics .. or perhaps even some evidence of microbial life... or insects!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
reply to post by MrPlow

jw

While you're correct, they address that very thing in the actual article.

Curiosity’s suite of laboratory instruments are able to slowly heat a sample in a way that doesn’t trigger the perchlorates. They can also weigh any molecules present, determining how much carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen they are made from. Simple organic compounds wouldn’t be completely shocking, said Smith, since these probably come from meteorites originating in the asteroid belt and probably are around on present-day Mars. But they would indicate that the building blocks for life are present on Mars and might only need the addition of water, which Mars had in the past, in order to produce organisms.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPlow
I apologize if their is already a topic started. I couldn't find it.

Multiple threads exist.
Here is just one, started 2 days ago, located in the same "Breaking news" section that you put yours in.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Maybe all the hoopla is just to tell us some expensive gadget on Curiosity was able to revive Opportunity(dead rover).

That would be something I can see them doing.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
As suggested above, let's please keep discussion focused in the existing thread:

Mars Rover 'Curiosity' Team Reportedly Will Reveal Major Discovery In December

Thanks.

top topics

join