All format player?

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I want a small player that plays nearly all formats like mp4, avi, mkv etc
I have one that plays only avi and another that plays mp4 and some mkv but want just the one that plays them all from a USB flash drive etc.
Any recommendations would be helpful as I don't want to buy one that either doesn't play these files or gives up the ghost after a few weeks.
Any ideas would be appreciated....thanks

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
perfect player for all formats www.videolan.org... there's a portable version as well, install right to your usb flash drive.
edit on 22-11-2012 by n3mesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
...that's the one to go with.
VLC media player doesn't just play everything under the sun, it uses its own codecs too, so you don't have to go searching for the right ones to watch movies etc.

Other players, like Media Player Classic, might have more features etc., but they also require more knowledge, they're a little more complex.

VLC is your player of choice

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I have that on my pc but its an external one I need to play on the TV without using streaming or PC at all....

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
VLC for sure. It is easy on resources and plays anything thrown at it. Not one bad thing to say about it. Its straight forward w/o all the junk code added.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
A Raspberry Pi could be setup to do what you want.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.raspberrypi.org...
edit on 22/11/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Hi there, whilst VLC player is a good choice, i personally recommend GOM player, very good player.

Its my main one, as i watch a lot of video and HD FILMS

And if i visit a friends house i usually put the mkv and avi films along with the GOM player installation files and play from usb, works a treat.
edit on 22-11-2012 by ISeekTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Good player and ideas but it is an external player I am after not one that can be downloaded and played via a PCM or laptop I am after.
One that I can plug a USB flash drive etc in and play from it to the TV.
I have one that has a DVD player and USB player but only plays avi format and one when I used to watch Netflix on it that has a USB port but only mp4 and some smaller mkv files.
Maybe I never explained fully here...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

I would go for the Raspberry Pi option.

You can buy one for about $40 and it outputs "Full HD" via a HDMI output and has two USB ports(amongst other things).

Add a wireless keyboard & a 64Gb SD card and you have a decent home theatre PC that will accept just about any format you could imagine.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

I would go for the Raspberry Pi option.

You can buy one for about $40 and it outputs "Full HD" via a HDMI output and has two USB ports(amongst other things).

Add a wireless keyboard & a 64Gb SD card and you have a decent home theatre PC that will accept just about any format you could imagine.

Are you referring to the kit tho? He'll have to put it together and install linux, codecs etc himself that way won't he?

I have no idea, I've only had a cursory look of the pi in the past, but it's a hobby kit afaik, unless they've started selling them pre equipped with the os and media bits and pieces..

Either way, even if they do, if the OP is that way inclined, it'd be a good project.

Thinking of it myself, but I've still got an on wm8650 ex tablet board and lcd I am putting linux on, works fine but meh wifi..

would work perfect for the job as a media player too, pity it lacks the hdmi out lol..

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
The Raspberry Pi does look really good. But READ THIS before you decide to put a Pi system together. It isn't a piece of pie for the neophyte hobbyist.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend
reply to post by happykat39

Really?

Have either of you actually purchased and used one?

Mine shipped with an OS and was easy to set up.

I wouldn't recommend them to an i-tard, but the average windows user should have no problems.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
oh, hmm, if i understand you correctly now.. you want to play video directly from a flash drive on your tv? your tv should already have the any software needed to do this.. i have a external hard drive connected to my tv and it'll play almost ever video and audio format i've come across so far even flash video but before i got a hard drive specifically for the tv i actually used an flash drive mp3 player, i formatted it then every time i downloaded a movie or tv shows i'd put it on the mp3 player and it worked perfectly without any other software at all. by the way if anyone wants to try this you do not need batteries in the mp3 player for it to work.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
just a tip for anyone who downloads movies or tv shows that are archived in multiple, split winzip or winrar files.. you can open either the first winzip or winrar file or the last and vlc player will play the entire movie or tv show. i don't know why it's the first or last but that is my experience. anyway.. this is mainly for anyone who doesn't really have the space to extract the files and just wants to watch the files on your pc.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by n3mesis
oh, hmm, if i understand you correctly now.. you want to play video directly from a flash drive on your tv? your tv should already have the any software needed to do this.. i have a external hard drive connected to my tv and it'll play almost ever video and audio format i've come across so far even flash video but before i got a hard drive specifically for the tv i actually used an flash drive mp3 player, i formatted it then every time i downloaded a movie or tv shows i'd put it on the mp3 player and it worked perfectly without any other software at all. by the way if anyone wants to try this you do not need batteries in the mp3 player for it to work.

My tv can only play jpg photos and nothing else. Only modern tvs can do this and mine is a few years old even though its a 56 inch flat screen ...
edit on 26-11-2012 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1
My tv can only play jpg photos and nothing else. Only modern tvs can do this and mine is a few years old even though its a 56 inch flat screen ...

you know.. you could do a kinda sneaky workaround for this.. you have a digital camera? if it records video, avi files or if other format you may have to convert your movies or tv shows to whatever format your camera records in. you could get the bigest flash card you could find then you know how you can plug the camera into your tv to view the photo's and video.? well just plug the camera into your pc, transfer a movie or 2 depending on the flash card size and watch that way. try it. let us know how it goes to.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by n3mesis

Originally posted by scotsdavy1

you know.. you could do a kinda sneaky workaround for this.. you have a digital camera? if it records video, avi files or if other format you may have to convert your movies or tv shows to whatever format your camera records in. you could get the bigest flash card you could find then you know how you can plug the camera into your tv to view the photo's and video.? well just plug the camera into your pc, transfer a movie or 2 depending on the flash card size and watch that way. try it. let us know how it goes to.

That's a good little way to do it but a long way. I suppose it would work if I tried it but would take too long but a good idea netherless.
What it is, I just want a small box that will play anything I throw at it from a USB flash drive. My biggest one is a 64gig that plays on both, whether its mp4 or avi, but, they only play certain formats and not all.
My DVD player has a USB socket that plays avi only, and I have a Netflix box that I don't use, because I got fed up with Netflix and it has a USB socket that plays everything except avi. So I have to watch what format I download in and what box today them in. Any ones I see always have something wrong with them according to reviews, just thought if anyone has one they use a lot with no problems could tell me what kind it is and I could get the same.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Last week I was looking for this type of all-around player, to find a lot of trial are not ideal for a moment, then a friend recommended me a piece of software, I tested the effect is very good, I recently just had some of the AVI format convert video to MP4 format, I think this convert avi to mp4 software, you should try it, you should be very satisfied.

top topics

join