It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Thanksgiving Matters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I think most Americans know the story. The Pilgrims came over on the Mayflower and landed at Plymouth rock. Now the Pilgrims themselves were basically like the Amish and were not accepted in England so they left and came to America. With the help of the Indians they were able to survive and they all got together and had a celebration.

There are those who will say it is a religious holiday and in some ways it is the most spiritual of holidays; but, you don't have to be religious to enjoy it and just be thankful for what you do have. What a great holiday, you spend time with loved ones enjoy a meal together and thinking about how fortunate you are. Heck, if you can read this then you are fortunate enough to have eyes or the proper equipment.

It is just a great holiday and as far as I know is only celebrated in Canada and the United States. The Pilgrims were thankful to be free of laws prohibiting them from practicing their religion. Unfortunately, they later forced people to follow their rules. I am thankful that I can come on ATS, state my religious beliefs and hear others. I am even thankful that people attack my beliefs and me (sometimes). LOL. It would be a shame if we could not state our beliefs.

They don't have Thanksgiving in China, they don't have it in Africa. In the end, even if you are not spiritual in anyway, are you not thankful that you live in the United States or Canada, that you were born here or chose here and got to be here? Are you thankful to be living where you are and not in a different country? There are a lot of things going on in this country that I hate; but, it is home. I am third generation Irish, born in the United States, in southern California and it is here that I want to be buried. I am fortunate, we have the desert, we have the mountains and we have the sea. I thank God for these things; but, if I did not believe in God, I would still be thankful them. I love my home, it is in my blood, it rejuvenates me, it keeps me together in a world surrounded by madness and hate.

I don't like to travel much anymore, I quickly become homesick. I miss my friends and family, I miss the people who work at the supermarket that I go to. I am so thankful that I have these things to miss. I miss my elders and relatives and friends who have passed away. I am thankful to have had them in my life. That is for me the true meaning of Thanksgiving. Peace and enjoy your day.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I am thankful and blessed.

The tradition of Thanksgiving is a break from the craziness of life to be with family and friends.
To celebrate life.

I think back to my childhood and this comes to mind.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
While everything may not be going as I might have hoped it would. It could easily be much worse.
I am not spiritual or religious in any way.
But I can reflect and be content with my present circumstances.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Something to remember,are you a peppermint patty or a charlie brown.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Neither.

I'm the Bloody Red Baron.

new topics

top topics

join