It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Narcissistic to believe in God?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Is it more narcissistic to believe your so important that there is a God there for you. Or is it more narcissistic to be so confident in yourself that you only believe in you?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boostah
Is it more narcissistic to believe your so important that there is a God there for you. Or is it more narcissistic to be so confident in yourself that you only believe in you?

It isn't narcissistic to believe you are important. It isn't narcissistic to believe in yourself as well. It is conceited to believe that God ONLY exists for you, and it is conceited to believe that you are all there is in the entire universe.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Realistic would be accurate. Then, not all people are required to live by faith alone.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
A true narcissist would put him/herself above any God.

Your question doesn't really have an answer because it is entirely moot.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
From wiki

Narcissism is a term with a wide range of meanings, depending on whether it is used to describe a central concept of psychoanalytic theory, a mental illness, a social or cultural problem, or simply a personality trait. Except in the sense of primary narcissism or healthy self-love, "narcissism" usually is used to describe some kind of problem in a person or group's relationships with self and others. In everyday speech, "narcissism" often means egotism, vanity, conceit, or simple selfishness. Applied to a social group, it is sometimes used to denote elitism or an indifference to the plight of others. In psychology, the term is used to describe both normal self-love and unhealthy self-absorption due to a disturbance in the sense of self.

From wiktionary
conceited (comparative more conceited, superlative most conceited)

vain and egotistic
having an excessively favorable opinion of one's abilities, appearance, etc.

Both seem like similar words to me why disagree on semantics?

Point being it's somewhat of a paradox no?

Let me put it another way...

Is it selfish/conceited/narcissistic to believe we are so important there is a god there for us plural or I singular or smaller version of us plural if talking about a specific god pertaining to specific religion.

Or more selfish/conceited/narcissistic (your preferred word here) to believe in only yourself.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Unrealised

Agreed a true narcissist would put them selves before God, it is possible that those that believe there is something there for them because they are so important is simply through narcissism ergo a narcissistic belief if you will. I would bet my bottom dollar there is more of them the. The other ones who would say die for their God. Which in this day and age is rare.

Therefore unmooting the question

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boostah

I don't think the connection between narcissism and belief in gods is valid. As a species we are still very childish, and this allows for the belief in magic, monsters and miracles.

If we are spared certain death, surely a god must have had a hand in it even though billions of others were not spared from that same certain death.

If we have no food when we find $20 dollars on the street, then god left it for us, even though there are so many that starve to death each year.

If we are lured into adultery with a drop-dead gorgeous person, we are being tempted by Satan, instead of the fact that the drop-dead gorgeous person is DROP-DEAD GORGEOUS!

Many believe in astrology, numerology, voodoo, spells and incantations, levitation... These believers aren't narcissistic, they're just childish.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
To truly believe in God is to be a servant of God. There is nothing arrogant in that.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I suppose it depends on the psychological reasons for the belief. To truly be a servant one would need to be free of human traits and be a living saint. Which I guess some monks do strive for.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Boostah

It could either or none because it all depends on how you came to your conclusion. There can be varying degrees either choice that has been made. It really all depends on the person and their motivation.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I agree grim, I suspect many people's motivation is unbeknownst to themselves.

However the question can still stand by assuming the individual we are talking about has reached their belief by thinking they are so important.

And the other by being confident in oneself.

As they are can one say both are of equal narscissm?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Boostah

That requires such an in depth answer that anything I may say at this moment would seem incoherent. If you don’t mind I will try to answer tomorrow the best that I can because at the moment I haven’t slept in over 36 Hours and all the guests have just left so I am off to some much needed sleep.

I find your question very interesting so you have my compliments I will reply tomorrow with a fresh mind.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Studies show that the narcissist is usually extremely talented in putting on a false front of themselves, a very charming one to most of the people they encounter. Therefore, I could assume that a narcissist "claiming" a belief in a god or religion could be a part of that front. Narcissists are known to be master manipulators. So, putting on the front of a belief in a power greater than themselves may just coerce others around them that they have weaknesses as every human does.

The thing is, the narcissist often only rely on themselves and want to maintain some sense, even if false that is convincing to others that they are not narcissists. Most narcissists are either unable or unwilling to see that they are narcissists.

I do not think however that believing in a diety is the sign of a nercassist. There are many people that have such beliefs that are also selfless and extremely compassionate individuals. Compassion is important when identifying narcissism. Narcissists lack empathy and compassion, for instance... A narcissist will never say they are sorry unless they are looking to gain more narcissistic supply from their victims. They cannot compromise or meet in the middle. They are very ego driven, and honestly do not care about anyone but themselves and what is in it for them. If things don't go their way, and/or you call them out on their narcissistic approach to life... They will usually run and look for supply elsewhere.

Just my three cents

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Boostah

I apologize for not responding right away last night. I was extremely exhausted to where I am sure no matter what my answer would have been it would have been inadequate to say the least.

If from what you are saying an individual believes that he or she is so important that a god is there just for them it would not be uncommon. In ancient cultures people would keep statues or idols of deities specialized to their household, family and I suspect for them as well. I do not think this was do narcissism at the time but in my opinion due to their inability to comprehend the unexplainable. To have a personalized god was to insure that they would be heard. In today’s society there are some that believe they have guardian angels which in a way is there direct line to god. In other instances there are those who believe that god has mandated them to achieve something. Former president Bush has been quoted as saying god chose him to lead the country. Some can say that was narcissism some say delusion more often than not it is simply those people coping with the unknown. In bushes case I think he was simply trying to reassure himself of his choice. I have never met anyone who believes in one god in existence and at the same time believes he/she hold favor over the rest of the world but if such a person does exist I would say yes that is narcissism border lining insanity.

In the other case you forth where an individual only believes in themselves. I should ask more questions on this but based on what you said. If a person believes that they are all there is and there have been some cases where people believed themselves to be good or that everything around them is a fabrications of their mind in which case I would say that is a form of mental illness and not narcissism. If a person has reached their conclusion because they think they have figured it all out that they understand everything. Then yes that is definitely narcissistic. If that individual is as you said simply confident in themselves and the conclusion they have come to. I do not see that as narcissistic however if that person does have doubt and then claims one truth over the other because they believe themselves to be of superior intellect than everyone else so therefore there choice is the most intelligent choice and true. That is supreme narcissism. If as you say that person is simply confident in their findings then I can’t label that as narcissism.

I gave my best answer with the info you provided but my answer is loose at best. To say whether a person could be labeled as a narcissist based on their religious determination you need to know a lot more about that person especially how they came to their conclusion. All one with a basic description is make a guess. Like throwing darts blindfolded.

new topics

top topics

join