It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria - Update and Information thread

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
And check this out! The video of the 'anti-Assad' protesters, but with a different description this time! (As I said earlier, it sure would be useful to know Arabic).

"People Protest against the so-called Free Syrian Army terrorists Aleppo 12/01/2012"

I found it on this page at the Friends of Syria site:

"People Protest Against the Free Syrian Army Terrorists Aleppo 12/01/2012" Posted on December 2, 2012
friendsofsyria.wordpress.com...

It says there : "The citizens of Aleppo are protesting against the FSA in Aleppo; they are chanting “The FSA are Thieves” “FSA Get Out” “FSA Go Fight Israel”

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Turkey scrambles jets as Syrian government forces bomb border town (Reuters)

that video of the civil airplane.. wow. I wonder if that's the plane which was mentioned a few pages earlier

ETA:

Breaking News ‏@BreakingNews
Syria govt would not use chemical weapons, if it had them, against its own people under any circumstances, foreign ministry says - @Reuters

edit on 3-12-2012 by Zerschmetterling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
That's not good...

Here's another 'not good'. More chemical weapons rhetoric, which worries me; as others have stated, he's had them for many years and not used them, so when they start really harping on it, it worries me that they're planning something.

"Clinton Warns Syria Against Using Chemical Weapons" December 3, 2012
www.nytimes.com...

PRAGUE — Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton on Monday warned President Bashar al-Assad of Syria not to use chemical weapons and said that the United States was prepared to act if he ignored the warning.
“This is a red line for the United States,” Mrs. Clinton said. “I am not going to telegraph in any specifics what we would do in the event of credible evidence that the Assad regime has resorted to using chemical weapons against their own people. But suffice it to say we are certainly planning to take action if that eventuality were to occur.”

The Syrian Foreign Ministry, in a swift response, said the government “would not use chemical weapons, if it had them, against its own people under any circumstances.”

I hadn't heard of this before, I don't think:

Czech troops who specialize in the detection of chemical weapons and decontamination were in Jordan training with forces there.
An American task force has been deployed to Jordan and has been helping the Jordanians deal with the escalating humanitarian crisis, including an exodus of more than 200,000 refugees from Syria to Jordan. The force is also planning how to respond, if necessary, to a chemical weapons threat.

Mrs. Clinton stopped in Prague on her way to Brussels for a meeting of NATO foreign ministers. A major topic of the NATO meeting is a Turkish request that the alliance deploy Patriot antimissile batteries in Turkey. The Turkish government is concerned about Syria’s ballistic missiles, which could carry chemical weapons, and it wants NATO to guard as many as 10 sites inside Turkey.

Has anyone heard that mentioned before?! I'm sure I haven't, that Turkey is claiming to be worried about chemical weapons being fired at them. Scarier and scarier.

What exactly is happening at Syria’s chemical sites is unclear. One American official said Sunday that “the activity we are seeing suggests some potential chemical weapon preparation,” which goes beyond the mere movement of stockpiles among Syria’s several dozen known sites. But the official declined to offer more specifics.

Over the weekend, the activity in Syria prompted a series of urgent consultations among the Western nations, which have long been developing contingency plans to neutralize the chemical weapons, a task that the Pentagon estimates would require more than 75,000 troops.

Nope, this is really not good...

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by curiouscanadian777

A major topic of the NATO meeting is a Turkish request that the alliance deploy Patriot antimissile batteries in Turkey. The Turkish government is concerned about Syria’s ballistic missiles, which could carry chemical weapons, and it wants NATO to guard as many as 10 sites inside Turkey.

Syria attacking NATO-- I mean Turkey? I wouldn't worry too much about that actually happening. I would be more concerned that the west will spin lies to make Syria look like the bad guy in order to justify escalating measures against that country.

The Syrian military is not gong to "use chemical weapons" against its own people Hillary, no matter how much you wring your hands about it. Isn't she supposed to step down already?

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Yes, that's what I'm worried about - an attack falsely blamed on Syria to justify the intervention/invasion they've been spoiling for.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

There is a YouTube loaded in the last 24 hours showing something. Not sure if its related. A lot going on right at the beginning of this video. Looks like one missile flies thru the wreckage after the plane was already hit. Another puff of smoke and smoke streamers below the aircraft signify...?

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

The Associated Press ‏@AP
BREAKING: Egypt airport officials: Violence in Damascus causes commercial plane to turn back from Syria.

Bill Neely ‏@billneelyitv
There are reports that #Syria's main foreign ministry spokesman Jihad #Makdissi has been fired. Not hard line enough?

and it is certainly worrying what they say about the chemical weapons, haven't heard about Turkey being worried that Syria will fire chemical weapons at them before either

ETA:

Alexander Page ‏@AlexanderPageSY
I have recorded conversations with Jihad Makdissi which shows his ability to defect, he has not been fired rather fled his position #Syria

I wonder if that's true.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Yes, that's what I'm worried about - an attack falsely blamed on Syria to justify the intervention/invasion they've been spoiling for.

Uh, huh. Wouldn't be the first time. An even bigger concern is what the worlds reaction to a new out an out war in the Middle East will be. Everyone knows the US is dominating the Middle East country by country. This next victim in a growing list isn't fooling any one anymore with claims of evil dictators and WMD. China and Russia vetoing the UN resolutions to establish No Fly Zones in Syria are one indicator of that. I wonder what the vote in a UN general assembly meeting would be on Syria's right to retain sovereignty? Probably like the Palestinian issue... a 100 to 2.

I wonder what the same vote would be asking the US to stop waging aggressive war against the nations of the world? You notice that is not an issue before the UN...

When Operation Iraqi Freedom began, it was all about "shock and awe" showing live the bombing of downtown Bagdad. Interesting that the same sort of demonstration isn't / won't be tried in Syria. The world would never buy it. What other excuse can there be to invade?

"He's killing his people, he's killing his people!" Imagine Assad with a knife in the street outside his palace, slashing at people...

This whole thing is outrageous.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Syrian foreign ministry spokesman defects: regional diplomatic source

Syrian foreign ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi has defected from President Bashar al-Assad's government and has left the country, a regional diplomatic source said on Monday.

"All I can say is that he is out of Syria," the source, who did not want to be named, told Reuters.

Lebanon's al-Manar Television said earlier that Makdissi had been sacked for making statements which did not reflect official positions.

Source: live.reuters.com...

ETA:

FLASH: U.N. sending "all non-essential international staff out of Syria," halting aid missions outside Damascus for now - U.N. humanitarian agency

same source

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

US concerned about Syria's intentions on weapons-White House

WASHINGTON, Dec 3 (Reuters) - The United States' concerns about Syria's intentions regarding use of chemical weapons is increasing, prompting Washington to prepare contingency plans, White House spokesman Jay Carney said on Monday.

Carney's comments came after Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned that the United States would take action if Syria used the weapons.

Carney declined to say what the contingency plans involved.

Source: live.reuters.com...

ETA:

U.S. State Department Deputy Spokesman Toner: "Rebel forces are making advances. The Syrian regime is growing increasingly desperate."

same source.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Zerschmetterling

US concerned about Syria's intentions on weapons-White House

WASHINGTON, Dec 3 (Reuters) - The United States' concerns about Syria's intentions regarding use of chemical weapons is increasing, prompting Washington to prepare contingency plans, White House spokesman Jay Carney said on Monday.

Reuters is running live updates on what the White house and Hillary think might happen? That's not an update, just more rhetoric from the people that want to depose Assad and throw the country into chaos like they did in Libya.

Echoing the sentiment of the war mongers as "updates" is only helping them to achieve their goals. Hillary is part of the problem, not the solution.

Just wanted to throw that in.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
^ true - but I still think I should share it.

EU says cuts Damascus activities because of security situation

BRUSSELS, Dec 3 (Reuters) - The European Union's office in Damascus is cutting back its activities in the Syrian capital to a minimum because of the security situation, an EU official said on Monday.

"The EU delegation has decided to reduce activities in Damascus to a minimum level due to the current security conditions," a spokesman for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said in response to a question from Reuters.

The EU diplomatic service has an office in Damascus that has remained open throughout the Syrian crisis so far.

ETA:

Russia, Turkey agree to differ over Syria conflict (Reuters)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I just found this website, apparently its headquarters are in Damascus, Syria. The text I'm gonna post is translated from Arabic to English by Google Chrome:

Abdullah Gul: We do not want war with Syria, which has a large nuclear arsenal

Jouhina News:

Turkish President said, Abdullah Gul, today, that his country does not intend to enter into a war with Syria, stressing that Syria has a large arsenal of nuclear weapons.

He added Gul, in a press statement, during his visit to the mandate "Jaenkeri," that the Syrian crisis has reached a point can not continue the same vein, in the time wishing that contribute to the re-election U.S. President, Barack Obama, for a second term, to push things to the solution to the crisis.

He said Gul, to win Obama's reelection, a great success for him, calling that the Syrian crisis of priorities.

And threatened Gul what he called terrorist organizations in reference to the PKK, he said threatened "organizations that exploit the absence of the regime in neighboring countries, and across the border, in order to carry out terrorist attacks against Turkey, vowing responded decisively, and stressing that Turkey and other countries will not allow it at all.

Source: www.jpnews-sy.com...

what to think of that? Syrian Propaganda?

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
twitter:

5m BambuserAlert @ Bambuser_Alert
LIVE NOW: (CONT) #Assad forces keep shelling #Daraa, #Syria. Also sound of gun battles: bambuser.com... bambuser.com...
edit on 3-12-2012 by curiouscanadian777 because: fix link

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

From the Reuters link...

"Our biggest wish is an immediate halt to the bloodshed and fighting in Syria, and we are taking steps to make sure our foreign ministers are carrying out extensive work with this aim," Erdogan told the news conference.

An example of the double talk associated with the current "crisis". Turkey claims it wants an end to the fighting while at the same time training and arming insurgent fighters to send across its border into Syria. Thats why the close border skirmishes and the request for "defensive" Patriot missiles.

He might as well have said, "In the name of peace we make war."

And the excuse for fomenting guerilla war on Turkey's long time neighbor? He's afraid Syria might attack him.

"I swear to God your Honor, he was going to hit me so I hit him back first".

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
the request for "defensive" Patriot missiles.

Why the quotes? There is no offensive capability to the Patriot, unless it's shot at a plane or helicopter. They are primarily an antimissile capability, with an antiair capability. Defensive in nature. A SAM is not an offensive weapon, neither is a AAA gun.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I reviewed the link for the article you trranslated but couldn't find it. Your link is foreign language version. Maybe you could link to the english version of the article so we could read it (the "english" button at upper left)?

Heres one...

George Gallowy said in an interview with RT: "...that the USA and their servants in the region such as Saudi Arabia and Qatar do not want any solution to the crisis in Syria as these two countries work on paying money and providing weapons and media propaganda for the continuation of the crisis."

Galloway pointed out that the Turkish government is skillful in working as a mercenary for the West in the region, seeking to join the European Union, adding that the West is using Turkey as a platform for the events taking place in Syria as it was used to hit Libya.

He stressed that the Government of Justice and Development party in turkey chaired by Recep Tayyip Erdogan has become an agent to the west.

www.jpnews-sy.com...

(Spelling corrections added)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Like you said, they aren't "offensive" unless Senator McCain says so:

www.usnews.com...

I already posted this once to show the true intent for the Patriots. To stop the interdiction of Arms and fighters across the Turkish border into Syria. Putting Patriots on the border pointing at Syrian airspace ought to fix that says McCain.

I guess downing Syrian jets over Syria isn't really boots on the ground though, so its not technically an "invasion"? Like the CIA's interpretation for its Drone program, violating a countries air space isn't unlawful.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

So because one politician, who is already known to be an idiot, says they would be offensive, and create a no-fly zone, we should listen to him, and he is deciding NATO policy now?

The launchers would be German, operated by German troops, so the German government would set the ROE for them, and if they say that they aren't going to shoot at Syrian planes in Syrian airspace, then that will be the ROE.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Why Zaphod I am surprised at your remarks.

So because one politician, who is already known to be an idiot, says they would be offensive, and create a no-fly zone, we should listen to him, and he is deciding NATO policy now?

He's not an idiot, just a warmonger. McCain doesn't "make NATO policy", he just let it slip. US "Patriots" from Germany aren't being emplaced there to stop "errant mortar rounds". I think just today the Syrian air force carried out (another) raid near the turkish border. You tell me what they were shooting at... refugees?

The launchers would be German, operated by German troops, so the German government would set the ROE for them, and if they say that they aren't going to shoot at Syrian planes in Syrian airspace, then that will be the ROE.

Uh, huh. You know as well as I do what the first rule of war is... as well the role deception plays.

In the beginning, Desert Storm was called Desert Shield for a reason.

edit on 3-12-2012 by intrptr because: additional...

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join