It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gory Death Details Heard in Sentencing for Man Who Killed 100 Sled Dogs in Whistler B.C. (2010)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Also God forgive me, but the more i read on some threads on ATS about canada and its attitude towards animals is disgusting on the whole, i thought it was meant to be part of the civilised world, were not talking about fox or deer hunting here, were talking about letting some eejit loose with a gun to kill all those dogs and trying to make excuses for him. don`t think i`d like to visit such a backwards country sorry.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I agree that huskies don't make good "house" pets. They need a good size yard.
Many people in Canada have large yards.

In Saskatchewan they have dog sledding, as well as northern communities. That might have been a good fit.

I took in a Siberian husky once, an older outdoor dog. He was 11 when I got him, and for the couple of years he had left, he was still smart enough to be trained to get along with my other dogs, and I even sort of house trained him. He actually tried to pee in the toilet a couple of times, lol. You can't even get mad at that - it sort of made sense. He did learn to bark at the door to be let out. My dogs are both inside and outside dogs.

I would have gladly taken one of those BC huskies.

They just need a good fit for new homes for any large dog. People with patience, that know huskies need to have room to run.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Originally posted by vonclod

Originally posted by snowspirit

From what I understand the company had tried to sell the animals,

Maybe they should have tried to give them away for free. They could have put them on the morning or evening news. Or even tried a "no kill" animal shelter.

Maybe then those beautiful animals would have lived.
At least some of them would have had homes.

there were attempts made at finding homes..also the spca dropped the ball on this, but in reality it isnt actually that easy to place these kinds of dogs..not going to be a family pet per se..very tragic thing

There were no media advertising for these dogs. I should know because I live in BC. There are many people who would have adopted them if they were only notified by the news or other agencies. Never happened. This was an internal incident.

this is a local story for me as well and i have been watching it and posting on it since it broke out..other mushers were asked to take some of these dogs and nothing really happened..i believe if memory serves me the spca was notified/asked for help as well..these dogs were not suitable for public adoptions..i dont think fawcett made the gravity of the situation apperent and we may never know how hard he tried..dont get me wrong for a second..i do not condone or excuse what happened..i wanted to kill this guy but i think he is in his own hell, he will be punished by the law and it wont be much punishment im sure..but im absolutly posative he will carry it around with him for the rest of his life
edit on 22-11-2012 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by fenian8

I'm quite sure most Cdns are horrified by this sled dog killing.

A dog's attitude is always reflective of their owners/parents.
There are no bad dogs. The people raising dogs need to understand the dogs, instead of trying to force the dog to understand human.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
at the end of the day, they're dogs.

should a person be sent to a place where murderers and rapists reside because he did what the humane society does every single day 365 days a year.

And at the end of the day your just a human, why cant 100 dogs live on earth when 7 billion+ of us are, If the life of a dog is causing no harm to anyone then why kill them? Never work with dogs or children is a popular catchphrase, it is because they are similar... both require care to be looked after, if a person harms an animal they can harm a human, isint it a noted fact that most serial killers start of by killing animals first?

If anyone intentionally kills anything innocent breathing, whether it be animal, baby, child or man and someone thinks that's okay, im disappointing to share my oxygen with them.

i love my fellow person, but the reality is we are the real animals... shame some of us amongst us have brains which are yet to evolve.

Seriously though, im understandable for the killing of an animal for survival puposes e.g food but not for fun or whatnot its a waste of life.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by fenian8

Let me inject some reality into the discussion in regard to their predisposition.

lesstroud.ca...

The dogs will have to pull me many miles beside the ocean and through the Labrador trails that the locals, mostly Inuit, use. I’m out in the middle of nowhere halfway between a small town called North West River and another called Rigolet. The dogs are beautiful, but a lot of work. Running them alone can be exhausting and even dangerous. I’ve only known these dogs for three days while I trained with them (I ran sled dogs for three years some time ago), so they have to get used to a new musher calling the orders and they can be obstinate if they don’t like you. For humans though – they are usually big babies – always rolling over for a tummy rub or looking to snuggle. With each other they are not at all unlike a pack of wolves, even killing their own in a display of dominance and positioning. I have, on many occasions while sledding in my past, had to jump in to the middle of a five dog, dog fight with my fists and boots swinging to break up the fight. If I don’t they can injure each other severely and on occasion kill. I will not hide the fact that all my activities with them begin with butterflies in my stomach. I don’t want to have to tell the owner that one of his dogs died, was killed or simply got loose and ran off into the frozen landscape. So I have been quick to establish my own dominance and they seem to respect me – that’s the key

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
www.sleddogcentral.com...

Interesting, a couple of years ago a house guest was going to take two of my sisters 'rescue' chows out for a walk, I told him that was a bad idea, but he insisted "he could handle them", ten minutes later I am out back of the house at the edge of the property literally prying one off of each of his hands. It was only accident I glanced out the back window and saw the struggle. The dogs wernt making any noise, and at that point the pain wasnt letting him think clearly enough to make communicating kind of noise. It took me a good five minutes to get them loose, knocking one senseless and the other one halfway there, he was almost out but could stagger back to the house, I dragged the two dogs by the collars back and stuck them in separate areas, had him wrapping his hands in cold towels while I called an ambulance. Two hundred plus stitches and several broken bones in the hands.Plus a transfusion. They each got p o'd at his trying to break them up, no accident about it. Both were always til then great with people. So, he had pumkins for hands for several weeks and didnt shake hands with anyone for awhile. He lucked out. If I had left the property as I had planned he most likely would have bled out right there at the edge of the woods.

I agree with Jake. I used to work at a bourding kennel. one time I let a chow lab cross and a golden retriever out at the same time. Before you could say "dog fight" the chow+ attacked the golden. Just latched on to one of her ears. I tryed to get the chow+ to let go but couldn't so I punched it in the face. I'm a big guy so there was some power behind that punch. it still wouldn't let go. I finaly got it to let go, but it immediatly attacked again. By this time the golden is screaming in fright, Punching the chow+ didn't work this time so I kicked it. I had to kick it three times before it let go. I picked the golden up and held her above my head. the chow jumped up and got her tail end. before it could get a good hold I picked it up and threw it against the door. The dog hit with enough force to break the door down. The moral of this story is never turn your back on a chow. the chow and the golden were fine. the chow was rather subdued for the rest of the day. The owner was saying what a wonderfull dog it was. Ha!! the moral of this story is that chows are bad medicine my friends.

Nice post !!!!! Here's how I deal with dog fights ,#1 I'm the boss. any questions . please review #1
Seriously, haveing dogs from different kennels I know fights need to broken up quickly and justly, the dog starting the dog that starts fight needs to know that you are not happy with them, the other dog in the fight also needs to know it but not so severe the one outstanding rule that I have is everyone must get along. I don't care if one dog like the other dog , it's better than the FBMS ( flying blackman syndrome mail me for more info or mike can explain..lol
) The dogs are in a fight to the death belive it or not , and so am I when I break a fight up anything goes wheither 5 dogs of 15 I'm going to win, I have been bitten quite severly but when the dog did they instantly knew that the boss is not a happy camper right now , I better run. I've never given a dog a punishment except for that one rule. and remember to be fair, compassionate , and loveing. Dogs know when they have done wrong

Unless a person knows how to dominate them, as a pack leader, then all hell is going to break lose. Does that sound like a good dog for the average home owner to be saddled with? Really?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

So you're saying this man had NO other option than to shoot the dogs?

This is the result of an irresponsible business owner who had no plan, as to how he would take care of the dogs in case his business lost money.

The dogs ended up getting killed because of this man's incompetence as a business owner.

Now that's animal cruelty

It’s nice to know you have perfect 20/20 hindsight. But that only helps you after the fact. That won’t change the fact that you are in the pre specified BAD situation NOW. There is no good choices to be had. Until a person has personally experienced a “no win” situation, then all their babbling about how “he should have done something better” is really just talking out their butt. Because they really can’t comprehend what it is like to have to make that decision. As they say. “Unless you have walked in his shoes……”

When you get old enough, and have had to deal with the harsh realities of life, you will understand.

edit on 22-11-2012 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Unless a person knows how to dominate them, as a pack leader, then all hell is going to break lose. Does that sound like a good dog for the average home owner to be saddled with? Really?

If the dog's aren't given away in multiples the new owner becomes their new pack. And their new alpha.
Same with any dog.

I would never recommend a family with children though. Huskies need lots of attention.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
eGADS!
Killing dogs is not illegal.
Far as i know the Innuit have done it seasonally with no penalties or outcry....same breed same reason too almost.....
I feel sorry for this poor dude....
he should have been better prepared thats fact, but five years?
Comon folks, they are dogs.......
The same assholes wholl rasie the hue and cry against this guy will probably meet at Mcdonalds for a pre picketng burger....fail
after all...they shoot horses dont they?
edit on 22-11-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Mr Tranny please let ME inject some reality into this subject, i have owned huskies in Virginia and now have Northern Inuits in england but my experiences with these dogs are nothing like you quote, huskies are probably one of the most friendliest dogs towards humans that i know of, now leave the Rottweiller or Staffordshire bull terrier with strangers or introduce them to a house with children there may be a big problem. I think common sense is called for but your statements are making sled dogs look like devil dogs and then some. Only yesterday a jack russell savaged a one week old baby to death, all dogs are capable of turning aggressive, certainly when they have useless owners and anyone considering any kind of dog should seriously read up about the breed especially temprament, exercising etc but please its very rare you hear of a husky savaging people and its certainly not a reason for some backward hick who obviously shouldn`t even be allowed to look at a gun let alone fire one to "cull" 100 of these beautiful animals. If some incompetent buisnessman had asked me to do it am afraid i think i would have took his gun and culled him instead.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Gentlemen, I present to you ..
Militant animal rights exhibit..#640983830853

Originally posted by fenian8
If some incompetent buisnessman had asked me to do it am afraid i think i would have took his gun and culled him instead.

I sure hope you are a vegetarian, because I would hate to see someone be a hypocrite.
Killing thousand on thousands of animals a day is what the food industry has to do, to put food on your table.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Mr Tranny i don`t know which gentlemen your speaking to and no sorry to dissapoint you but am no militant anything, grown up round animals all my life i do sometimes eat meat, however i would never kill a healthy animal which has been reared to do a job just because an incompetant buisnessman, (your words i believe) asked me too so please don`t try and pretend your smart, your not, or that you know me, you don`t and don`t try and pigeon hole me into some militant animal rights activist who OMG eats meat. Yes i will eat meat on occasion just as humans are designed to, it still in no way means that i in any kind of way condone or can justify what happened to them dogs and your rantings about them savaging everything and everyone to somehow justify what the fella has done is, tbh a joke. So to put it in a nutshell so you don`t get confused and start labelling me as anything is yes i will eat meat, but no i couldn`t go and try to kill 100 sled dogs because i was told to and then screw it up so badly, thats just cruel, people eat meat and still don`t agree with cruelty to animals, theres a difference between nessecity and cruelty.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by fenian8

What is the difference between a business man having an animal killed to save money, when he didn’t need to. And a consumer having an animal killed so he can eat it, when he doesn’t really need the meat to survive?

It’s all a mater of degrees.

You are just trying to draw hard lines between them so you can try to stoke outrage where little, to none, is warranted.

That is the standard method of hard-line animal rights activist. If the shoe fits, it fits.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Also God forgive me, but the more i read on some threads on ATS about canada and its attitude towards animals is disgusting on the whole, i thought it was meant to be part of the civilised world

Hi, Canadian here. Could you please direct me to the closest Dog shelter so I can have dinner?

Thanks.

Your last line makes me laugh.. proving to me you've never been to Canada.
Perhaps you don't even know a Canadian.

BTW, that was a tasteless joke ment for shock. I love dogs and when I heard the story I was horrified.
Generalizing us all like savages is just screwed up.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Also God forgive me, but the more i read on some threads on ATS about canada and its attitude towards animals is disgusting on the whole, i thought it was meant to be part of the civilised world

Hi, Canadian here. Could you please direct me to the closest Dog shelter so I can have dinner?

Thanks.

Your last line makes me laugh.. proving to me you've never been to Canada.
Perhaps you don't even know a Canadian.

BTW, that was a tasteless joke ment for shock. I love dogs and when I heard the story I was horrified.
Generalizing us all like savages is just screwed up.

First of all, there is no civilized world that I know of....the world is in a state of chaos. Secondly, I agree with you YM, there is no room for generalizing people as savages.
edit on 22-11-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
well the sentence came down..$1500.00 fine and 3 years probation..not good

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

That appears to be a well balanced outcome.
Some could quibble about the level of the fine, more/less
Community service would have been more preferable than probation in my opinion. But that is nether here nor there.

Looks as though there is some intelligence left in this world after all.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Probation is NOT the same thing as jail time. What a joke!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

I live in BC. There are many people who would have adopted them if they were only notified by the news or other agencies. Never happened. This was an internal incident.

I honestly believe you are right on with this statement, there are people out there who have a massive love and respect for these dogs, These dogs would definitely have been of some use to someone in BC.
I don't think for a second that ALL of the dogs would have been euthanised due to not being able to find them placements in working environments/ rescue homes.

It is shameful that the expense of organising a rescue was deemed to much for a company that had used these animals.
As a uk resident, i can see the upset and anger this has created in canada against this man, his company and their combined actions, i have no doubt the average canadian is just as sickened by this behaviour.
The fact that people could be heard sobbing during the court proceedings speaks volumes.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join