It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gory Death Details Heard in Sentencing for Man Who Killed 100 Sled Dogs in Whistler B.C. (2010)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Gory death details heard at sentencing for man who killed sled dogs in B.C.

nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com...
news.nationalpost.com...

Robert Fawcett sat stone-faced in B.C. Supreme Court while a Crown lawyer outlined graphic details of the April 2010 slaughter, prompting loud gasps and sobbing from the gallery.

Although Fawcett is sentenced for the prolonged death of nine specific dogs, there were at least 54 dogs killed in the cull. That’s the number of corpses the SPCA exhumed from the mass grave Fawcett built.

Court has also heard Fawcett was sent an email by the company owner directing he drastically limit spending on the pack during a post-Olympic slump, and that those who worked with him believed he cared for the animals like pets and had never been seen to cause suffering to them before.

WHISTLER - The BC tour operator that now owns a company linked to the horrific slaughter of 100 sled dogs near Whistler says it did not order the animals destroyed.

Documents from WorkSafe BC outline allegations that Howling Dog Tours shot and killed the dogs last April after a drop in business following the Olympics.

Killer of sled dogs expresses remorse as court hears grisly facts

www.theglobeandmail.com...

The man who admitted killing several sled dogs near Whistler, B.C., is remorseful and “devastated by his actions,” the Crown said Thursday at his sentencing hearing.

Robert Fawcett, the former general manager of Howling Dog Tours, was charged in connection with the killings in April. He pleaded guilty in August to a single count of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal and faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison.

“Many dogs suffered from the reckless acts of Mr. Fawcett. However, it’s important to bear in mind that he has not been convicted of and is not being sentenced for euthanizing sled dogs generally,” she said. “This is not a sentencing of the sled dog industry, or a discussion of the morality of the euthanization of sled dogs. The fact is that whether the court and the public like it or not, it is lawful to euthanize animals.”

edit on 22-11-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-11-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)
IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Thu Nov 22 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This was a tragedy I wished it did not happen. This was gruesome and the man who violently killed these dogs should be sentenced to the maximum prison sentence hands down.

Moreover, the fine should be $75,000 per sled dog. ie) $750,000 in total.

He should not be allowed to be within sight distance to another dog. In other words, he might as well get the death penalty himself.

This was aweful, outrageous and I wish the worst for him in the future.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
This was a tragedy I wished it did not happen. This was gruesome and the man who violently killed these dogs should be sentenced to the maximum prison sentence hands down.

Moreover, the fine should be $75,000 per sled dog. ie) $750,000 in total.

He should not be allowed to be within sight distance to another dog. In other words, he might as well get the death penalty himself.

This was aweful, outrageous and I wish the worst for him in the future.

75,000 x 100 = 7,500,000.

Math is fun

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The article is dripping with “pull your heart strings” catch phrases. Granted, that is what you are going to get from the militant animal rights groups.

So I am going to ignore all that crap, and get down to the blunt truth of it.
My take on it, from real world experience.

If you are going to do the job of culling a group of dogs, then you should know how to do it properly. He evidently hasn’t had that unpopular task before, so he kind of messed things up a bit. He should have consulted an experienced person on how to do things. He evidently didn’t like the task at hand. And his total lack of experience made the task into a nightmare.

Culling with a gun is perfectly legal here, as long as you use common sense. It’s commonly used for pigs, cows, many other animals, and even dogs when the situation arises.

One of the big mistakes he made was not separating them before shooting them. Once the others see what happens to the first ones, then the whole group gets into a frenzy. Once they get into a frenzy then it is impossible to control them, and to get them into a situation where you can make a humane kill. That is totally unneeded stress on them. Taking them off one at a time, and the experience will be far easier on the animals you are having to put down.

The other big mistake he made was his poor choice of shot placement, and the weapon he used. You shoot them from the back of the head, and they don’t see it coming. And you make sure you have a weapon that can penetrate the skull. A hand gun is a strict no no. Minimum is a 22 rifle for smaller stuff and something like a 223 for thicker skull animals. With those two requirements fulfilled, The dogs death should be painless. He won’t feel a thing. It will be 100% humane.

That is the same method the state police use here to put down wounded deer. One shot to the brain box, and call the road crew to pick it up.

On him having to go into the grave to kill a dog that wasn’t dead before burying them. That was the right thing to do. There was a person around here a while ago that got prosecuted for animal cruelty because he buried a dog alive that didn’t die from the shot. The judge told him specifically that he wasn’t being prosecuted for shooting the dog. He was being prosecuted for not making sure the dog was dead before he buried her.

And then the animal rights people step in and make a bad situation worse. Instead of seeing the problem, and trying to counsel the companies on how to humanly handle bad situations. And trying to point out to them what they did wrong so it won’t happen again, they come in with money and lawyers and blow everything to heck.

If they screw up, and you point out to them what they did wrong, and they do it again, then send the lawyers in. But if it is the first time, then give them a benefit of the doubt and try to help, instead of attack. It was apparent in this situation that the cruelty was not intentional. It was strictly through incompetence.

The incompetence is strictly a result of the company putting him into a situation he was unprepared to deal with.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
at the end of the day, they're dogs.

should a person be sent to a place where murderers and rapists reside because he did what the humane society does every single day 365 days a year.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
From what I understand the company had tried to sell the animals, and when that did not take place, with a dwindling budget the man was tasked with this task. It is horrible, but think about it this way business doesn't pick up and each and everyone of these dogs starves to death. He is then as well held responsible for there deaths, charged with inhuman crimes against animals for there poor state of health. As a previous poster said there were obviously much more humane ways to do this, and of course public outcry will fuel the fire after all these are mans best friends. Also take into account when this was first found out the man expressed much remorse over what he had done, he was unprepared for the task, undertook it the worse way possible and now suffers the fate his peers dole out. But life in prison, absurd fines??? come now do you not think this mans conscience is so destroyed living with this incident for the rest of his life. I am pissed it happend, I am a dog owner, it tears me apart to think that such beautiful dogs lifes came to an end like this. But the man is not a monster he was ill informed on humane ways to handle the situation, and in the end he will suffer, and if he has the book thrown at him then he does, but let it be a landmark day for animal rights abuses, let the guy from kits who severely beat his dog and left it in the dumpster suffer the same fate, let this be a guideline for abuses in the future, and hopefully not just a witchhunt focusing on a man who was tasked with ending the lives of companions that could no longer be cared for properly.

I bye no means advocate what he did but just find it foolish that we think he should be incarcerated for life when people who kill humans dependant upon there plee deal only end up with a few yrs behind bars in Canada. It was wrong and I'm sure he pays daily but lets use common sense

SaneThinking

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

I have read a little bit on another site about this story. As an animal lover I do not want to read all the gory details as it would upset me.

All I have to say is if the man in question did kill the dogs - for no other reason than his company superior told him to cut costs - then throw the book at him. Killing another sentient being is criminal - in this case sentient beings that actually (apparently) helped earn money for the company. So can we posit killing employees of a company??!!

If this is the spin doctors in action all they are going to do is stoke the fire of those who love animals and want to see animal abusers punished to the full extent of the law.

I hope the dogs are at Peace and resting in a place far from the soulless people who inhabit this beautiful but beleaguered planet.

Much Peace...

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I hope the Canadian Justice system does the right thing and hammers down on this sick psychopath.

Sure they are just dogs, but hey...we're just Humans too!

Those dogs want the same things we do.

They want to live their life free of pain. Just like we do.

Just because your business is not making money does NOT give you the right to end the lives of other living creatures.

This man deserves the harsh punishment he will most likely get hopefully.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
All I have to say is if the man in question did kill the dogs - for no other reason than his company superior told him to cut costs - then throw the book at him.

So, you would have preferred them to starve to death, after the money to feed them ran out?

Now, that would be animal cruelty.

The world is not fair. Sometimes all the options available are horrific. It is up to you to figure out which one is the least horrific, and implement it to avoid the more horrific possibility.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

So you're saying this man had NO other option than to shoot the dogs?

This is the result of an irresponsible business owner who had no plan, as to how he would take care of the dogs in case his business lost money.

The dogs ended up getting killed because of this man's incompetence as a business owner.

Now that's animal cruelty

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

There are many societies set up to assist with the care of animals. Exhaust every single avenue of help before you kill an animal that has learned to depend on you. If there was a company involved - declare bankruptcy and get some options.

All I know is killing a sentient being that has learned to depend on you and has served you - deserves every chance at survival. Sometimes when I read about animal activists and animal rescue centres - I cannot believe that they function - with high overheads for sophisticated medical care and medical teams to help care for abused animals.

These people are revered in my book of life. Animal activists will find medical care, food and people willing to adopt animals - they go above and beyond. I cannot believe that in this case absolutely every option was explored. Animals are very receptive - if times were tough and their regular food seemed less they would sense there was a reason why and adjust. This story is sad beyond belief.

Much Peace...

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Thinking about this whole article and the responses reminds me of the argument that if society collapses, the majority of the population won’t be able to handle the harsh realities of life, and they will die, or be killed as a result.

If something like this causes people to become unhinged, then they are going to have a rude awakening if society does collapse. It will make this situation look like a field day.

As the old saying goes. “You can’t handle the truth.”
Or in this case. “You can’t handle the harsh realities of life.”

If they are forced to deal with them face to face, then the majority of the population is going to be screwed.

Just saying.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

From what I understand the company had tried to sell the animals,

Maybe they should have tried to give them away for free. They could have put them on the morning or evening news. Or even tried a "no kill" animal shelter.

Maybe then those beautiful animals would have lived.
At least some of them would have had homes.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
what everyone here should be thinking about as well is do we want to have animals entertain us?, because they are often discarded after it doesnt make business sense to keep and house them..the dogs were brought in to take people on sled rides during the winter olympics..its a real shame on all involved
edit on 22-11-2012 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
Thinking about this whole article and the responses reminds me of the argument that if society collapses, the majority of the population won’t be able to handle the harsh realities of life, and they will die, or be killed as a result.

If something like this causes people to become unhinged, then they are going to have a rude awakening if society does collapse. It will make this situation look like a field day.

As the old saying goes. “You can’t handle the truth.”
Or in this case. “You can’t handle the harsh realities of life.”

If they are forced to deal with them face to face, then the majority of the population is going to be screwed.

Just saying.

Settle down tough guy.

Guess what? Society hasn't collapsed. We still have rules that we must follow.

That's why this man is on trial for killing these dogs.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Maybe they should have tried to give them away for free. They could have put them on the morning or evening news. Or even tried a "no kill" animal shelter.

there were attempts made at finding homes..also the spca dropped the ball on this, but in reality it isnt actually that easy to place these kinds of dogs..not going to be a family pet per se..very tragic thing

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Sled dogs are raised as pack animals with a strict authority structure. They are aggressively energetic. Fights among the pack are common if the dogs do not agree on things.

They do not make good house pets. They were raised as work animals and if they are not worked they become aggressive.
Unless the owner can demonstrate his authority over the dog, the dog will rip him a new one.
Shelters will not take them because will always have to be put down unless they can be sold to another sled company..

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
at the end of the day, they're dogs.

should a person be sent to a place where murderers and rapists reside because he did what the humane society does every single day 365 days a year.

Most societies have morals and values. In BC Canada, these are applied to pets as well. In places like China where they have any disregard for both human and animal life, these won't apply.

That said, this was a case of brutality and disregard for life. In this case, there should be damages awarded and the person responsible needs to be punished along with punitive damages it has caused for the reputation to BC.

Remember, BC has high values for the quality of life therefore its image was tarnished globally. This incident should never have happened and therefore never gotten into the hands of media.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by vonclod

there were attempts made at finding homes..also the spca dropped the ball on this, but in reality it isnt actually that easy to place these kinds of dogs..not going to be a family pet per se..very tragic thing

There were no media advertising for these dogs. I should know because I live in BC. There are many people who would have adopted them if they were only notified by the news or other agencies. Never happened. This was an internal incident.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

thats ridiculous!!!! a sled dog would never rip someone a new one, how childish. I presume your trying to turn this into if he hadn`t have killed them they would have turned viloent? pathetic. i own sled dogs and rottweillers, obviously someone with such little knowledge or totally wrong idea on dogs and dog behaviour should move onto another thread, imo theres no justification for this "cull" there would have been a lot more options than letting a sad loser who appeared to have no clue on how he should have gone about his job loose with a gun. disgusting.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join