It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Shortage of Flu Vaccine for Congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Senior citizens waiting in line for the vaccine, lotteries being held to determine who gets the shot and the CDC asking healthy individuals between 2 and 65 not to get the vaccine - but Congress is not having any trouble getting theirs. In fact, they are getting it for themselves, staffers and they are getting it for free.

But many members on Capitol Hill are reaching out for flu shots despite a major shortage that will leave the United States shy of about 45 million inoculations this year. Despite the deficit in influenza vaccines, the result of a contamination in the doses produced by British-owned Chiron Corp. (search), about 2,000 shots are available to members and staffers on Capitol Hill at no charge.

Although some members of Congress are defending getting the flu vaccine - what kind of message does that send to the millions of Americans who can't get and actually need it. The physician assigned with the health of Congress says that the vaccine is necessary since members of Congress come into contact with hundreds of people daily. I have to ask - don't most people?

Sick and wrong.

Edit to add link

www.foxnews.com...

[edit on 10/21/04 by Bleys]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Just another typical example of our Government at work for us....

Not only do they get vaccinations they don't really need while others are at serious risk; at least they're letting "Us" have the privilege of picking up the tab for their health and well-being .....

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
And to think, a French company supplying 2.6 million extra vaccines may just save a few American lives this winter. France, saving American lives..."who woulda thunk?".

[edit on 22-10-2004 by cargo]

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Dick Cheney got his, at the advice of his doctor. As much as I hate the man, he is in a high risk category. I certainly don't wish him death, which a flu could do to him. Although if he was miserable for a couple of weeks with the flu, that I could live with!

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Meanwhile I recently heard on the evening news of nursing homes in South Carolina that would not be getting any flu shots because they are out. In one of the nursing homes, two elderly patients died of the flu just last year. Our senior citizens are just getting tossed out the door while congress sets the example if you got money and power you are better than everyone else. I can't think of hardly any group in a higher risk area than at a nursing home that gets lots of visitors and has lots of contact among senior citizens.

On a slightly different flu shot question, does anyone know exactly how the old flu shot is contaminated? I mean if someone received the contaminated flu shot before it was made public knowledge and recalled, what side effects or problems will they experience? I would like to know.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
On a slightly different flu shot question, does anyone know exactly how the old flu shot is contaminated? I mean if someone received the contaminated flu shot before it was made public knowledge and recalled, what side effects or problems will they experience? I would like to know.

I have to admit I don't know either. But interestingly enough my dad has a friend who is a biochemist - she is not getting the vaccine this year and she is not getting it for her year-old baby. She says that she doesn't trust any of the vaccines this year. Her comments frightened my dad enough that he is not getting it. But, after last years flu, I am still trying to get the nasal-delivered vaccine for my two daughters who are 9 and 10.

But I digress - I just think it is BS that healthy, Congressman, who receive the best health care my money can buy, are taking vaccine away from those in this country who truly need it.

top topics

join