It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A report on citizen journalism in Syria I wrote that went a little too unnoticed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Back in February, when some of the earlier, more intense bombings and fighting was going on (prior to the recent days events), I wrote a report about Homs, Syria and one citizen journalist named 'Omar,' and what he went through to bring you live pictures from the city when it was under siege for the first time. Given the recent circumstances and the recent bombardment of the city, I decided to start a new thread to share with you my experience and hopefully provide a little education into what journalists all over the globe face on a daily basis in war torn nations.

I was hoping for the report to gain a lot more attention than it had. I was interviewing and talking to Omar over Skype as airstrikes and tanks fired on buildings just feet from his location. Because of those attacks, and the events that unfolded thereafter, I was only able to talk to him for a very short time as it became extremely dangerous for a journalist of any capacity to travel or operator/do their job in Homs, without risking being injured or even killed.

Since the report is a long one, I will only post the video that lead me to write this piece. Without having watched the feed for days on end, form where this recording was captured, or talking with the person bringing you the live pictures, it's somewhat hard to place yourself in the shoes of the person filming the events.

However, I encourage everyone to try and to at least understand what some of "us" (journalists) risk going through everyday so we can bring you live events as they happen form places like Syria and even the Gaza Strip.

I hope you enjoy reading this report as much as I did writing it. The video will be placed below the 'news snippet.'

Syrian citizen journalists risk death, targeted; city of Homs facing starvation

Saturday, February 25, 2012.

Syrian forces have been shelling the Baba Amr district of Homs, Syria for almost a month. Civilians and journalists are amongst the dead, and Wikinews spoke to a local citizen journalist, attracting attention both from the world's media and from the Syrian Armed Forces. According to Wikinews' source, much of Homs is without water, and a city facing starvation.

Syrian forces began a ground assault on Homs February 4, using troops, and bombarding the city with tanks and artillery. To this day, the bombardment continues. Soldiers frequently clash with anti-government protesters, and 'freedom fighters' of the Free Syrian Army in violent, often deadly encounters. In the Baba Amr district of the city, "Omar" [for his safety, we only use his first name, Ed.], a citizen journalist with the Homs Media Center, created an account on the Bambuser website where users can stream live footage from PCs or mobile phones. He then pointed a camera out of his home, overlooking the city, and began broadcasting footage live on the Internet.

The violent, often deadly, events following may have, indirectly, resulted from this action. Journalists discussed in this article put their lives in jeopardy to give the world a record of events; in some cases, dying doing so. But, their deaths may not have been accidental; evidence suggests possible intentional targeting by Syrian government forces.

The camera has been set up for days at this point. After heavy bombings and fighting, the camera and residents inside the building where it is located, are about to get a direct taste of war...with a missile launched at their own home. Aside from this feed, the report documents enough evidence that journalists in Syria, just like in Gaza in past days, were and are targeted by government forces all over the globe to this day. This video is only a glimpse into a single moment in the life of a journalist in Syria.

edit on 22-11-2012 by DragonFire1024 because: add

edit on 22-11-2012 by DragonFire1024 because: clarify

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Homs is a hot spot because the ' insurgents/ rebels' are living here in great numbers?
So this city is a big threat to Syrian's government?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by schmae
Homs is a hot spot because the ' insurgents/ rebels' are living here in great numbers?
So this city is a big threat to Syrian's government?

Anywhere there is resistance is a threat to the gov't of Syria. Homs just happens to be one of those focal points. It's is also the first major city between Damascus and the northern part of the country.
edit on 23-11-2012 by DragonFire1024 because: typo

new topics

join