It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh My--The Pope admits they screwed up again

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The Vatican's Pope now joins in the numbers that tell the year of Jesus birth is wrong and thus the dates for the calendars have the wrong datum point of origin.

Not only that the Pontif says Christmas was not even close to Jesus' birthday and is related only to pagan rituals of old.

So, now all this special times for Dec. 25 are all wrong, all the stuff on animals around the Jesus birth is all wrong, and the church has presented a fairy tale, rather than history:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Jesus was born years earlier than thought, claims Pope
The entire Christian calendar is based on a miscalculation, the Pope has declared, as he claims in a new book that Jesus was born several years earlier than commonly believed.

Christ's birth date is not the only controversy raised by the Pope in his new book – he also said that contrary to the traditional Nativity scene, there were no oxen, donkeys or other animals at Jesus's birth.

The idea that Christ was born on Dec 25 also has no basis in historical fact. "We don't even know which season he was born in. The whole idea of celebrating his birth during the darkest part of the year is probably linked to pagan traditions and the winter solstice."

So now we discovery that most Christians are more pagan worshipers, wanting of truth and fact, which they all misrepresented over the centuries.

Shame be upon them.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
there is already a thread on this

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MagnumOpus

You have the worlds most important religious leader admitting past errors, something that could have earned a death sentence a few hundred years ago and you immediately choose to bash religion and.religious people... How profound of you. Always amazes me how people become upset over someone preaching religion, yet those who are so proud of being anti-religion often do the same... No one cares to listen.
edit on 22-11-2012 by steppenwolf86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Everything that Christians believe and celebrate is stolen from Pagan traditions. Very ironic too, considering that the bible calls Pagans evil and says that they will burn in hell for all eternity

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagnumOpus
The Vatican's Pope now joins in the numbers that tell the year of Jesus birth is wrong and thus the dates for the calendars have the wrong datum point of origin.

Not only that the Pontif says Christmas was not even close to Jesus' birthday and is related only to pagan rituals of old.

So, now all this special times for Dec. 25 are all wrong, all the stuff on animals around the Jesus birth is all wrong, and the church has presented a fairy tale, rather than history:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Jesus was born years earlier than thought, claims Pope
The entire Christian calendar is based on a miscalculation, the Pope has declared, as he claims in a new book that Jesus was born several years earlier than commonly believed.

Christ's birth date is not the only controversy raised by the Pope in his new book – he also said that contrary to the traditional Nativity scene, there were no oxen, donkeys or other animals at Jesus's birth.

The idea that Christ was born on Dec 25 also has no basis in historical fact. "We don't even know which season he was born in. The whole idea of celebrating his birth during the darkest part of the year is probably linked to pagan traditions and the winter solstice."

So now we discovery that most Christians are more pagan worshipers, wanting of truth and fact, which they all misrepresented over the centuries.

Shame be upon them.

I thought it was a known thing that Jesus' birthday was not Christmas time.. What the hell? I thought that was like... established already.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

Well, clearly the followers of Christ, or Christ, or god haven't been very good telling what is right

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by steppenwolf86

Thank you for posting that, what I was thinking was not nearly as polite.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MagnumOpus

I didn't think this was news... I thought it was commonly known that the date of December 25 had no correlation to Jesus' birth and was just used to celebrate the birth and to allow the pagans to keep their celebration in order to keep the peace and convert more to christianity.

That's how I've understood it since I was a child =) even the history channel talks about this every year as christmas approaches.. is it only news because the pope acknowledged it?

I believe even his birth location was off if not mistaken
edit on 11/22/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagnumOpus

Shame be upon them.

The "discovery" is not a discovery... even though a lot of Christians aren't aware of it ..

In the 4th century CE, Christianity imported the Saturnalia festival hoping to take the pagan masses in with it. Christian leaders succeeded in converting to Christianity large numbers of pagans by promising them that they could continue to celebrate the Saturnalia as Christians.

The problem was that there was nothing intrinsically Christian about Saturnalia. To remedy this, these Christian leaders named Saturnalia’s concluding day, December 25th, to be Jesus’ birthday.
edit on 11/22/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I didn't admit anything of the sort.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
So what if the date is wrong. I don't know the exact birthdate of my dog but I choose to celebrate it a month before mine. Will this ever affect me in any way? Probably not.
Live and let Live.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I thought it was common knowledge for a long time that the date for Christmas was actually based on the Winter Solstice, and that Jesus's real birth date was unknown.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well it makes them human doesn´t it ? Just a day ago i read a news which was about the statue of previous pope and how they screwed it up

but remember this pope has said there is extra terrestrial life and we are not alone.. so isn´t it good to make such a statement. I just wait when they open the secrets of the vatican... if

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Christians already know that Jesus' exact birthday is unknown.

If anything, the Pope's admission only helps to align to what the Bible says about Jesus being born during the time of King Herod.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

The idea that Christ was born on Dec 25 also has no basis in historical fact.
The idea that Christ was a supernatural being has no basis in objective reality. I wonder if the church will ever admit to that one

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Lets go back a little.. about 2000 years.
Christian calendar starts when Jesus was babtised not when he was born, and that time Jesus was about 31 years old. Its not relevant when he was born the relevant was the time of his babtism, he didn´t start his doctorine right when he was born, his mission started after his babtism.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

Did you read the article in the O.P.?

"The calculation of the beginning of our calendar – based on the birth of Jesus – was made by Dionysius Exiguus, who made a mistake in his calculations by several years," the Pope writes in the book, which went on sale around the world with an initial print run of a million copies.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Actually i did and i also remember this was taught to me when i was in highschool and it was also printed in the book too. Theology was one of my favourite subjects and we had great debates with my teacher who is also a priest, who was prepping me to my final matriculation examinations. Theology was one of the subjects i wrote.
edit on 22-11-2012 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

So, how do you figure that the Christian Calendar starts with Jesus' baptism at the age of 31 and not his birth?

Jesus ( /ˈdʒiːzəs/; Ancient Greek: Ἰησοῦς Iēsous; 7–2 BC/BCE to 30–36 AD/CE),

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Luke 2:40: And the child grew and became strong; he was filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was upon him
Luke 4:1 Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the desert...to be tempted (after His baptism) . Luke 4:14 Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside.

Im Lutherian not Catholic, so im not talking of Catholic doctorine but the way this issue was taught to us. And the idea of Calendar that it actually started when Jesus was babtized is not new at all, the misundertanding is in Catholic doctorine as the thread states someone screwed up, believing Jesus was a God right when he was born made the mess in Calendar dates, we all know that vatican have changed the bible many times even when there were a witch hunts, vatican can even declare saints . He was special child but not God yet.

First we need to understand what was growing up to manhood in that era and judaism. We know Jesus was jew and he had jewish raising as a child he had his Bar Mitzwah at age 12 he astonished his teachers and onlookers with his understanding and how he answered to their questions. At the age 12 boys started to have more intensive training if they chose to go with that path. To get higher position and suitable for elections took a long time, men were ready about the age 30-36. Jesus was also called as Rabbi so we expect him to go that path.

Luke 4:1 Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the desert...to be tempted (after His baptism)
So it pretty much tells us that he was not filled completely with Holy Spirit before that and in his baptism Jesus decided to follow the path God gave him, thats basicly why we think Calendar starts from that time and not from his birth and seems like Vatican did screwed up somewhere.
edit on 22-11-2012 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join