It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even The Pope Admits That Religious Folk Make Mistakes -- Why The Fuss?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Alright, this has really been eating at me so here is my little rant.

You can't go around proclaiming that your little book is the EXACT word of god, when the guy whose suppose to be the holy grail of men on earth admits that sometimes those people screwed up.

If you can't even get the date of birth of your savior correctly, how important was his life? How can you be SURE that what you are reading is the word of Christ and your Lord, if there are proven, verifiable mistakes in translation, time frames or ANYTHING else?!

I know how. Faith.

You all do this on FAITH. And faith alone.

I apologize folks, but the religious organizations of the 21st century must be open and willing to admit that they might be full of crap. Cause there is just no way of knowing what is truth and what isn't.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I agree with you, but all the Pope said was that Dennis the Small screwed up the dates when he invented the A.D. calendar. This has nothing to do with the Bible which, of course, has no dates expressed in A.D. format. It does not follow that the Bible is full of errors just because Dennis the Small screwed up his dates. They are two separate matters.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Religion..pfft.
disgusting habit people get into.

The life of christ should be reflected not for timing, nor his magical skillz, nor sacrifice, or any of that...
The Christ thing is a philosophy of acceptance, benevolence, love for one another, and peace...that knows no facts that can be disputed...

People focus so much on the character that they totally miss the whole point, which is the message....

Your right..people make mistakes..and in my opinion, the bible is rife with em, but the message of love, peace, and in general unity is self evident.

Drop your religion, and finally just be inspired by the message and teachings would be my advice.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Of course these religious folk make mistakes, they make loads of them! The Pope himself made a huge mistake helping to cover another priests crime of molesting hundreds of deaf boys.

F! religion. It's a scam and a mind control platform.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

No I know that the two are unrelated in that sense.

It just baffles me that if you can admit to one scholar or another who was heavily involved in scripture ( you are developping a whole calendar around one person right?) could make mistakes, that you can't say the same for others who were just as involved with things such as the Bible.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
You might get flamed by some religious folks for this but i agree myself. There have been so many religions in throuhout history i assume that you couldent even count. The majority of these religions all say that the writers recieved testimony from God himself, though it does trouble me that God only decided to clearly communite to humans during the time the book or records were made.

Many religions with the concept of damnation are sad because all the millions of people before its creation are damned because they were unlucky to be born in the wrong time.

I don't have a problem with people following religion and I am happy for them if it fits for them. I just don't like the sadness and violence that is instigated by conflicting religions or people who don't fit the religions quota. Or even those who are born with personalities that conflict with organized religion.

Faith is the greatest factor because it justifies believing in something that you guess is true even though its not, but im not talking about the religion that any readers follow im just trying to state a humble opinion.

Its difficult because religions claim that those who chose to follow (or guess said religion is the right one) get promises of a prize after death for their hard work and those who dont are foolish and should of known better. ,There are tons of religions with followers that assure you there religion is true and if you dont follow you get in trouble. All religions claiming this have no more credibility for truth than the other ones and all religions have followers who claim to have seen/talked to their diety or have had visions. So the talks/visions expirienced by followers of you religion are true while the others are deluded.

Its scary because you could never know which religion is the true one, you just have to be lucky enough to guess the right one. Any smart human knows the difference between right and wrong, i dont understand why a God wouldent be satisfyed with loving your neighbor and being a humble/kind person. I cant see why so many other factors are required such as constant worship.

I guess all everyone can hope for is that they were raised with the right religion or born in the right area where a certain religion is correct.

If one is born in the middle east and raised to believe islam is the one true religion they will so passionately believe it is not likely to change. If christianity is correct then they were just unlucky to be born in the wrong place, conversion is unlikely because they believe so strongly in what there raised to believe.

If christianity is wrong then all those raised to believe it are wrong as well.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by vendettent

I wouldn't worry about anyone defending the Catholic church but if they want to flame the OP good luck to them because thanks to the Catholic church they have no leg to stand on.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by schuyler

No I know that the two are unrelated in that sense.

It just baffles me that if you can admit to one scholar or another who was heavily involved in scripture ( you are developping a whole calendar around one person right?) could make mistakes, that you can't say the same for others who were just as involved with things such as the Bible.

OK, but who are we talking about here? Not the Pope, obviously. And not religious scholars who, it is reported, agree with the Pope. So if the Pope can admit Jesus wasn't even born on the Winter Solstice, then I'm thinking that's the official word of the (Roman) Catholic Church. I mean, it sounds like the Pope is taking on the gospels, too! Back to the scholars for a sec, it's my understanding that in the semenaries it is often quietly acknowledged that Jesus was a charismatic man with a message, and that's kind of all.

So that begs the question of who believes the Bible is infallible or the "Living Word of God." I'm guessing a few fundamentalist cults and a lot of uneducated believers.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The bible is crap anyway. If god is peace and love why is he so full of hate and evil?

top topics

join