It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Year in Jail for Not Believing in God?!?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Couldnt find this posted anywhere, so my aplogies if this has been already:

check it out!:

Via Alternet

In Kentucky, a homeland security law requires the state’s citizens to acknowledge the security provided by the Almighty God--or risk 12 months in prison.
November 21, 2012 In Kentucky, a homeland security law requires the state’s citizens to acknowledge the security provided by the Almighty God--or risk 12 months in prison.

The law and its sponsor, state representative Tom Riner, have been the subject of controversy since the law first surfaced in 2006, yet the Kentucky state Supreme Court has refused to review its constitutionality, despite clearly violating the First Amendment’s separation of church and state.

Um... What!? Seriously!!

The law states, "The safety and security of the Commonwealth cannot be achieved apart from reliance upon Almighty God as set forth in the public speeches and proclamations of American Presidents, including Abraham Lincoln's historic March 30, 1863, presidential proclamation urging Americans to pray and fast during one of the most dangerous hours in American history, and the text of President John F. Kennedy's November 22, 1963, national security speech which concluded: "For as was written long ago: 'Except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.'"

The law requires that plaques celebrating the power of the Almighty God be installed outside the state Homeland Security building--and carries a criminal penalty of up to 12 months in jail if one fails to comply. The plaque’s inscription begins with the assertion, “The safety and security of the Commonwealth cannot be achieved apart from reliance upon Almighty God.”

Ok, so it seems that these plaques must be placed outside these homeland security areas..... I understand the 'God' complex in the US.. i mean it is printed on the money "In god we trust"... however, putting a jail term on a non-compliance to these plaques is just insane! It kind of goes hand in hand with the thread is tarted yesterday...
Oklahoma Teen Sentenced To Ten Years Of Church As Manslaughter Punishment

I think this statement is telling:

"Kentucky's law is a legislative finding, avowed as factual, that the Commonwealth is not safe absent reliance on Almighty God. Further, (the law) places a duty upon the executive director to publicize the assertion while stressing to the public that dependence upon Almighty God is vital, or necessary, in assuring the safety of the commonwealth,” wrote Judge Ann O'Malley Shake in Court of Appeals’ dissenting opinion.

Dependence upon Almighty God is vital, or necessary, in assuring he safety of the commonwealth....? um really?! ugh....

Anyways, gotta get back to work, Ill check out comments and such later..

Thoughts?!!?
edit on 11/22/2012 by Nspekta because: added text

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Yeah this is awesome.

It's so great that the states has spent about 150 thousand dollars on religious legislation and then the subsequent court battles.

It's really AWESOME that these people think that TAX PAYER MONEY should be spent for personal vendettas against ahteists or non believers.

It's so AWESOME that this man is an elected official.

Isn't it?

What a load of bullocks. People really need to start treating these religious folks like the CULT leaders they are. And making sure that your ELECTED officials represent YOU and not their perceived imaginary man in the sky.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
How else is god to suppose to know who to protect unless you have a plaque ?
This seem like one of those crazy old laws that still manage to surprise.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It is a violation of the 1st amendment to the US constitution.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Also violates the Kentucky constitution:

"All men are, by nature, free and equal, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights, among which may be reckoned:

First: The right of enjoying and defending their lives and liberties.

Second: The right of worshipping Almighty God according to the dictates of their consciences.

Third: The right of seeking and pursuing their safety and happiness.

Fourth: The right of freely communicating their thoughts and opinions.

Fifth: The right of acquiring and protecting property.

Sixth: The right of assembling together in a peaceable manner for their common good, and of applying to those invested with the power of government for redress of grievances or other proper purposes, by petition, address or remonstrance.

Seventh: The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons"

Learn to defend your rights folks and win

privateaudio.homestead.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

See my signature...

edit on 22-11-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The title is very misleading. It's not a year in jail for "not believing in God" at all. It's a year in jail if someone doesn't put up a plaque. It's still silly and unenforceable, no doubt, but you could be more accurate when complaining about it.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

So it is back the inquisition then huh?

I foresee alot of these idiots getting sent to see their "master" very soon if they actually try to enforce this.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
This is the first I have ever heard about it and I live in Kentucky, but yet I find it disgraceful. I couldn't believe the state representative is from Louisville, let alone a minister. It seems so backwards that a government would allow for any acknowledgement of religion whatsoever, but that is just me I guess.

I realize the year in jail isn't for not believing in a god, but either way, I find it distasteful.

"The Kentucky legislature has not attempted to compel belief or participation in any form of religious exercise, nor does it seek to prefer one belief over another. A simple reference to a generic 'God' acknowledges religion in a general way," Judge Laurance VanMeter of Lexington wrote in the majority opinion. VanMeter was joined by Judge Thomas Wine of Louisville.
In a dissenting opinion, Special Judge Ann O'Malley Shake of Louisville said Kentucky's law crossed a constitutional line. Among other things, she said, the law has criminal penalties, including up to 12 months in jail, for anyone who fails to comply. Read more here: www.kentucky.com...=cpy

edit on 22-11-2012 by LR2543 because: .

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
The title is very misleading. It's not a year in jail for "not believing in God" at all. It's a year in jail if someone doesn't put up a plaque. It's still silly and unenforceable, no doubt, but you could be more accurate when complaining about it.

Not necessarily misleading..

If, say, someone doesnt put the plaque up because of their non-belief in God, they could face jail time of 12 months.. whats so misleading about that? And why is it not enforcable? Its a law right? They have stated what the punishment will be.....?

Eitherway, the main point is the fact that the fed is forcing citizens (I.E. taxpayers who PAY for these homeland security buildings) to put a plaque in front saying that belief in God is the way to keep the nation safe..... seems forced, unfair and ridiculous to push an agenda.. and for what!? Is god actually going to protect the nation just because there is a plaque out front? Gimem a break.. its such BS and a waste of time and money that will no doubt cause lawsuits and pissed off people.

link   
wait...

Whos god?

I vote for Zeus..he was pretty kick arse imo...

link   
It still amazes me that many Americans scream about the religious dictatorships in other countries, and then ignore it when laws are passed in their own nation that are more in tune with a Taliban mindset than what one would expect of a democratic western nation.

There is no doubt that many religious crazies in the world are far more dangerous, but it's highly hypocritical in this instance to be claiming America is so superior to others when you have laws allowing people to be locked up for not following the orders of a despotic religious loon.

This guy is no better than Mursi, Assad, Taliban leaders or Iran's psychotic religious preachers. The crime might not be equatable, but the mentality of wannabe dictators like him certainly is.

If he could get away with it, he would have people punished for not believing in his God. That should be enough to cause protests outside his office until he is forced to leave, but we know how bad Americans are at actually doing anything in instances like this

edit on 22-11-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Exactly.

A disturbing trend on ATS and in society these days is outright ignoring facts to continue a manufactured drama.

This law basically would be no different than requiring a horseshoe over every door. It is not forcing religion on anyone. Jeez.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LR2543

I bet a quick way to get the law repealed would be to put up a plaque acknowledging Allah or maybe Odin as the supreme God since they did say a generic acknowledgement is ok...

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Yet another case of two steps forward, ten steps back.

When you think about, the entire Homeland Security and the Patriot Act are outright blatant violations of the constitution overall front top to bottom.

But it sure does give these SOB's the power to arrest and control the individual and/or masses under pretty much any excuse they can conjure up because it's all been legitimately enacted right there under your noses in black and white for everyone to read and abide by.

Sneaky little buggers these guys, aren't they ?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
wasn't the seperation of church and state a phrase from a letter adams or jefferson wrote about a case in connecticut ?

I don't think it's in the constitution

either way dumb and un-enforceable law

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Where exactly does it say the fed is doing anything. Did you not read your own article and understand that the State of Kentucky is the one doing this?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Deep-Southern states have a very cult-like view of religion. If it was NOT for Federal laws, the Southern states would VERY LIKELY be stoning people and burning them at the stake for silly things.

Red states and their majority of under-educated superstitious bible-belt, GOP Conservative, low-IQ, intolerant clan who just dont wish to ever evolve!! Hell, some in the deep South STILL believe that the earth is FLAT and that Dinosaur bones were personally buried by "Satan" to fool us!! And that is coming from the "intelligent" ones from there who even know what a "Dinosaur" was!!!

Religious EXTREMISM from the deep South would be no different than the Religious EXTREMISTS in the Middle East if not for American Federal laws.
Same RELIGIOUS EXTREMISM mental condition, but of a different FLAVOR religion...

edit on 22-11-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by oper8zhin

I think these generalisms are dangerous.

I would guess that the in each of the 50 states only 1/3 of the population is 2+ generations native. People move all over America for work or to try something new. Folks come from other countries and try to grow roots where there is work.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by oper8zhin
Deep-Southern states have a very cult-like view of religion.

Definitely, however Kentucky is not in the deep south, but the same still applies.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Mark my words. ZERO people will spend a year in a Kentucky jail for failure to display this plaque on a Homeland security building. It's a pointless law that was a complete waste of time and tax dollars regardless of your religious or non-religious status.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
According to Wiki, approximately 47% of Kentuckians have no church affiliation and presumably most of the 47% don't believe in God. If the OP's headline is true, then KY is going to need to build a lot more prisons.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join