It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 6ft 6in Prehistoric Penguins That Would Tower Over Most Men Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

The 6ft 6in prehistoric penguins that would tower over most men today

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Happy Feet? More like STOMP!

A penguin that stood taller than most men waddled across the southern hemisphere millions of years ago, scientists say.

Argentine experts have discovered the fossils of a 6ft 6in (2m) tall penguin that lived in prehistoric Antarctica 34million years ago.

Paleontologists with the Natural Sciences Museum of La Plata province, near the capital Buenos Aires, said the remains were found on the icy southern continent.

'This is the largest penguin known to date in terms of height and body mass,' said researcher Carolina Acosta.

The modern day record is held by emperor penguins, which reach heights of about 3ft 11in.

The previous record for the tallest prehistoric penguins had been held by a five foot tall bird discovered in Peru two years ago and nicknamed the Water King.

The Water King, which lived more than 36million years ago, was found by a Peruvian student in the Paracas Reserve on Peru's eastern coastline.

Previous finds from prehistoric penguins indicated they did not sport the iconic black and white feathers the birds are known for today, but had reddish-brown and grey plumage.

www.bangkokpost.com...
www.skynews.com.au...
Image of Emperor Penguin

Earlier Model of Penguin Heights
www.guardian.co.uk...

I thought this was a very interesting discovery. I thought that earlier bird forms were taller than most humans, but this find confirms the bird penguin to be taller than today's average person.

That said, found this cartoon which I think is "suitable" for this thread topic too:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Previous finds from prehistoric penguins indicated they did not sport the iconic black and white feathers the birds are known for today, but had reddish-brown and grey plumage.

Doesn't seem like it actually was a Penguin at all.
(At least not any type of Penguin that I can picture in my mind)

But still interesting, nonetheless.

[color=767676]from 'Billy Madison'

edit on 11/22/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

I'm sure this guy will be very happy with the news:

join