It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa use "image manipulation" on Curiosity's photos?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I found these two videos where it's clear of an image manipulation by NASA/JPL on Curiosity images. In These videos there are a "side by side" comparison of NASA released images that don't match and show obvious photoshop manipulations on PIA16174 and PIA16239. WHY?

The comparison Image and coloureds......scroll bar......

Same place, missing rocks, and too much "sand"......

edit on 22-11-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
obviously a photoshop job, but isnt the "rover image" supposed to be just that? A photoshop job.
How else could the curiosity rover end up on the picture?

Sorry if I'm mistaken, and I havent searched nasa page for answers, just my first thought.

What is the official statement regarding the picture with the rover in it?

edit:
the picture seems to be taken by curiosity using the "MAHLI" camera, used for close-ups etc. But as you can see in the image, it is loose from the rover, which is not it's intended use.

I think this is a photoshop job done by nasa to display the rover, no cover-up here sorry. But I can agree that they should have explained the technique used to capture all parts of this image to make it "complete"
edit on 22-11-2012 by reef75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Nasa has made no secret that it uses color correction techniques, so whats your point?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

It's an obvious "glamour shot" of rover. By removing some of the more topographically interesting features of the original photo it allows the rover to stand out in better dramatic contrast but still gives a good representation of the terrain the rover can traverse. Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
I found these two videos where it's clear of an image manipulation by NASA/JPL on Curiosity images. In These videos there are a "side by side" comparison of NASA released images that don't match and show obvious photoshop manipulations on PIA16174 and PIA16239. WHY?

Why? Because the camera on Curiosity is not high resolution enough to make big pictures, so it takes a series of smaller pictures, which are then 'stitched' together.

I believe Curiosity has a 2megapixel camera, which rough equates to image size of 1600x1200. So in order for the self portrait shot, that you linked to, to be created a series of images are taken and then they will be stitched together to create the bigger image. Inorder to cover the seams where the stitching happens, the image will need photoshop touch up. Which is why you see duplicate or mismatching image parts.

Although it might look like they are being naughty, they aren't. They are just creating images that be presented well in magazines and on TV.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
There has been many many MANY threads about the Curiosity self image.

Of course image manipulation was used, how else would it have been done. Curiosity doesn't have a detachable camera that it can just place somewhere then stand back to take the picture, it IS stitched together from multiple smaller images, so there are bound to be anomalies.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I don't know but I feel there should be NO delays for information or "delayed announcements" of "discoveries"... everything they document should be revealed in real time no matter what the possible ramifications are. I*f nothing else it would make the whole think far more interesting....

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
It looks like the thin sausage rock that is beside the subject rock in the self portrait picture, is actually alongside the rock that is further right of, or 'behind' the subject rock, which is 'er um, curious, or careless. I think you can take it that the left-hand pictures as seen in the video are the correct ones. Much of the rest is due to different angles and distance.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheKeyMaster
I don't know but I feel there should be NO delays for information or "delayed announcements" of "discoveries"... everything they document should be revealed in real time no matter what the possible ramifications are. I*f nothing else it would make the whole think far more interesting....

The topic of this thread is the color correction used by NASA, not the "Possible huge discovery" that NASA is taking its time confirming right now.

As for a scientist just telling us everything they learn prior to doing an investigation to confirm findings...
...that is not the way science works.

Science does NOT make announcements before making confirmation of findings. That would be wrong. Scientists sometimes take months or even years to publish the findings of a certain experiment. Science can't afford to make willy-nilly claims that may be incorrect.

I see no reason for NASA to quickly to us what they found even before they had the cance to investigate the finding so they con conform no mistakes were made. I'd rather them wait a week a make sure they are right rather than hurrying the announcement and possible give incorrect information to the world.

...and as for the topic of this thread: color correction, the use of false color to enhance certain materials, and the stitching together of small images to make a big one -- I'm fine with that. Color correction and false color makes certain features stand out that may be too difficult to see in the raw images.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Hi Soylent,

The main issue is the bad stitching, and what you have is one rock replacing another entirely, and in the same position as the former, it is a bit wallyburger.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
WHY?

Because photo manipulation is the only way of making a panorama with several photos.

Unfortunately, people see their own ignorance as a sign that other people are making things behind their backs or hiding something or doing magic or whatever, so when they post videos like that they are only showing to the whole world how ignorant and incapable of looking for answers they are.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

The topic of this thread is the color correction used by NASA, not the "Possible huge discovery" that NASA is taking its time confirming right now.

I probably didn't spell out my comment as much as I should have to avoid confusion but I was trying to use the other situation as an example of the problems with changing or modifying or delaying information. There needs to be complete and total transparency in all aspect of this type of work IMHO.

As for a scientist just telling us everything they learn prior to doing an investigation to confirm findings...
...that is not the way science works.

What exactly do you mean by using the word "findings"? And why doesn't it work like that? I am not talking about "doing science".. I am talking about discovery. Why show live images to the public and yet not show other "live" data as it comes in?

Science does NOT make announcements before making confirmation of findings. That would be wrong. Scientists sometimes take months or even years to publish the findings of a certain experiment. Science can't afford to make willy-nilly claims that may be incorrect.

They don't have to make proclamations.. simply state the possibilities and show the data as it comes in in real time..

I see no reason for NASA to quickly to us what they found even before they had the chance to investigate the finding so they can conform no mistakes were made. I'd rather them wait a week a make sure they are right rather than hurrying the announcement and possible give incorrect information to the world.

I would rather have total and absolute transparency.. otherwise we get into other grey areas where they may be withholding evidence for years, decades or even centuries..

...and as for the topic of this thread: color correction, the use of false color to enhance certain materials, and the stitching together of small images to make a big one -- I'm fine with that. Color correction and false color makes certain features stand out that may be too difficult to see in the raw images.

I am fine with this too IF they make all corrections and changes completely transparent and obvious when they present information.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I am fine with this too IF they make all corrections and changes completely transparent and obvious when they present information.

They did, that's why they say:

The image at right has been white-balanced to show what the same area would look like under the lighting conditions on Earth.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

They did, that's why they say:

The image at right has been white-balanced to show what the same area would look like under the lighting conditions on Earth.

Thanks. But I was also speaking about other instances where people have claimed that images were misleading. This is a common complaint. One major instance I always remember was an image of deep space where they colorized an image for effect and it is constantly presented in a way people think it is the natural coloring. It would be nice if there was some little international symbol to put on images to indicate when images have been enhanced in some way.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Great post Arken,
To me, It is obvious that the entire surface of Mars
is littered with pieces of broken machinery.
Very small pieces, large ones,
Hunks of molten metal nearly everywhere that you look,
As thou, at one time there was in fact, Thriving Industry.
I see a planet that has been totally decimated and
obliterated. A once great civilization Blown to tiny Bits and pieces.

Is this only me ?
Come on NASA ,It's time to STOP the LIES.

edit on America/Chicagopm4830America/ChicagoThu, 22 Nov 2012 19:21:48 -060011 3021 by BrainGarden because: purification of words

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

They don't have to make proclamations.. simply state the possibilities and show the data as it comes in in real time..

Then you will have them contradicting themselves on a regular basis. You would never know the truth because you would constantly hear contradictory statements from the same scientists all the time. That is not how it works. They have to verify that what they saw was real. As soon as they know it was real they will make a statement. They aren't waiting for the right time, they are waiting for data. The public are not scientists, they don't understand how to look at data. What you suggest would only confuse everyone.

Example: They take a reading and it shows signs of life. They announce it right away! Everyone talks about life on Mars. The next ten readings show nothing. They then find out the tool was not properly sterilized and sealed and the first reading was likely contamination from Earth. They then announce this. Some accept it. Some scream NEVER A STRAIGHT ANSWER it's a conspiracy they don't want us to know they are in secret talks with Martians!!!! Others don't know what to think, but now have misgivings about future announcements, especially since NASA seems to contradict themselves a lot, so who cares what they say.

What you suggest is ludicrous and would cause chaos.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrainGarden
Great post Arken,
To me, It is obvious that the entire surface of Mars
is littered with pieces of broken machinery.
Very small pieces, large ones, even broken busts
Hunks of molten metal nearly everywhere that you look,
As thou, at one time there was in fact, Thriving Industry.
I see a planet that has been totally decimated and
obliterated. A once great civilization Blown to tiny Bits and pieces.

Is this only me ?
Come on NASA ,It's time to STOP the LIES.

It's only you. No one else including myself sees machinery on Mars. It fails the logic test, any machinery would be covered by sand by now.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

But what you are saying is the perfect justification for conspiracies... people already do what you claim anyway.. why compound it by WITHHOLDING information?

edit on 22-11-2012 by TheKeyMaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04
[more

Oh, I see now !
You speak for EVERYONE.
Sorry to bother you over my curiosity
you may go back to speaking for EVERYONE now.

Forgive me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join