It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Same four chords for over 30 top hit songs!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
off topic i know...

but I was always under the impression that banks of amps/cabinets was purely for show, you'd use one relatively low powered amp, driven hard to get your sound, which was then mic'd through the PA, the rest was for show really

when I was younger and we started playing gigs, you'd turn up with your jcm900 half stack, and spend the whole sound check trying to get a decent sound out of the thing running it at levels acceptable to the prick on the desk, which generally meant barely above speaking volume, was all rather pointless

be better off turning up with a little 5-10 watt tube, but that just wouldn't fit the "image"

oh, and c'mon the QUO!

caroline IS my friday song

back on topic, we have much less free will/choice than we think we do, there are a million things that we are just drawn to, that our instincts enjoy. would be interesting to hear what people like derren brown etc had to say on the 4 chord subject and the golden ratio etc etc

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by NotApplicable

I just mentioned this subject to my wife the other day. This will prove I'm not daft.

The video was hilarious, and I needed a laugh. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Ever hear of the "devil's chord"?
Im on my tablet so someone else will have to do the leg-work for links/references, but from what i can remember the early church outlawed it/forbid it to be played or incorporated into any musical compositions.

I wonder if the chords in the OP are related?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
30 sounds low to me.

Also, theres thousands of songs that use those 4 chords and then maybe one more. It's not hard to add one more chord. This is why it can be so easy to learn to play guitar...

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The music is very similar throughout all pop songs. Especially every single one with electronic instruments being in minor keys. And the same chords are played in most of them. I also hate when people aspire to make music similar to this, such as people making FL Studio videos on YouTube. It's like no one can make an intricate piece with time and effort rather than some stupid minor chords to sound good and complex. I write electronic music and listen to it, and that stuff is no different from a dog peeing on mine or any good electronic artist's face. Heck, even music theory students. At least they can probably come up with some different chords, chord progressions, and bass lines.

The bass lines in pop music are so terribly simple too that when my brother turns the bass up in his truck, it's the same vibrations for every song.

If an artist wants to make a trashy song about getting game and such, putting abhorrent instrumentals behind it to where none of it is listenable just makes it terrible.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

The guitar has the worst players of all instruments. A fifth grade recorder "orchestra" is more talented than a typical guitarist. The typical guitarist just plays a few chords and shows off to his girlfriend.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NotApplicable

Great post I've realized this but it is staggering just how many really use the same EXACT rift.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

Tablets don't have google? Well I can't say your name isn't 'stupid girl' for no reason. The leg work you spoke of took 1 second, I suppose that was too difficult for you to do,.. on your 'tablet' but posting on ATS wasn't. www.forteantimes.com...

edit on 24-11-2012 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by catswithbigpaws

The guitar has the worst players of all instruments. A fifth grade recorder "orchestra" is more talented than a typical guitarist. The typical guitarist just plays a few chords and shows off to his girlfriend.

well tell that to all the guitarists that have made piles of money showin off.
here's a tune that has three showin off at the same time

and here's another show off giving lessons

and here is one more, to me this is one of the greatest albums ever made.
i even fly the red star in my sig.
skip ahead to 6:50 on 2112 and listen to discovery

edit on 24-11-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-11-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Q33323

Haha you are welcome!

The subtitles to all the songs at the bottem throughout the video will definitely help you state your case haha.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
There are very few songs that use more than four chords.

The most commonly used four chords are G F C Am. It's not the chords used that make a hit, it's the melody.

edit on 11/22/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

bingo. It's the melody that gets the emotion out of you. The content or words can seal the deal for a great hit.

Phrasing of words is key too. The 3 or 4 chords behind it just keeps it all familiar. Throw in a good looking guy or girl that looks the part, a great producer to string it together and you are on your way.

Talent can not be emulated though, a true muso shines through every time.

I've played in bands most of my life from full blown covers bands to originals to stripped back acoustic of either. People love to be entertained and as long as you are doing it for them, viva la 4 chords. Thank god for blues. Amen.

Remindes me of joke. What the difference between a jazz musician and rock musician?

The jazz muso plays 4000 chords to 4 people while the rock muso plays 4 chords to 4000 people.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by catswithbigpaws

Approx 0.8% of the worlds population can play guitar!!, I feel proud to be part of that 0.8%. Until you too can fall into that 0.8% you can't really comment. In reply to the original post, who care's 4,5,6, or seven chords who cares. Music is about expression, feeling & individuality, the day that stops is the day music dies.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
The beat, the beat, the beat!

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

My, my, look who rolled out of the warm and fuzzy side of the bed this morning.
Are you this charming with all the ladies, soldier? Or do you only pull out the rank and file of Major Ahole for the abysmally ignorant ones?

The tablet Im referring to is a Nook Color, which I have been using to check my email the last few days. My computer guy is off over Thanksgiving Holiday, so cant take laptop in til tomorrow. Not all that familiar with the Nook , but can say thus far that it only allows one window open at a time and i dont see a copy/paste feature. Seems more like a glorified Ipod touch.
Yesterday i figured I'd check out ATS while killing time, and simply shared my comment as the first thing that came to mind when i saw this thread.

Hopefully you can find it in your heart to forgive me for daring to ask an ATS peer to help a sista' out.

I see the culmination of your entire effort took one whole minute, which you're probably accoustomed to by now anyway.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

Of course, but you wouldn't fit the bill an IQ higher then 120 is required. I doubt your pushing 100. Since you must be unaware that your nook color can also access google from it's browser. I know I'm an asshole but at least I'm not lazy, or try to get people to do things for me, which seems to be a common trait among women who think highly about themselves.
edit on 26-11-2012 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join