It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Confiscate 9 yr old's Winnie Pooh Laptop, Demand Cash Settlement For Downloads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
We're all created equal when it comes to civil action against common people. 8 to 80, blind crippled and crazy is grounds for a lawsuit. I seen a lot of things happening today that I read in the Declaration of Independence. History repeating itself.

An anti-piracy company has found itself in the middle of a huge controversy. CIAPC, the company that had The Pirate Bay blocked by ISPs in Finland, tracked an alleged file-sharer and demanded a cash settlement. However, the Internet account holder refused to pay which escalated things to an unprecedented level. In response, this week police raided the home of the 9-year-old suspect and confiscated her Winnie the Pooh laptop.

torrentfreak.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Absolutely appalling display of totalitarian power by what amounts to nothing more than a paramilitary force aka the Police Scum they obviously are!

This is the reason we need a dedicated forum here on ATS pertaining to Police brutality and stupidity!
edit on 22-11-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I'm surprised the 9 year old wasn't taser'd and beaten, the police are getting too soft.

These child criminals have been getting away with victimless crimes for far too long. I bet there's a whole crew of Winnie the Pooh pirate bandits out there going unpunished for these crimes.

If the kid had a Pitbull puppy I bet it would have been gunned down. I sleep better at night knowing the police are out there keeping us safe from all these criminals.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
This is just as bad as the UK Police officer tasering the blind man or when an American officer issued a fine of $2500 for public urination to a two year olds mother because the kid took a tinkle in his own back yard! Real reason being the wee man had a bigger ding ding than the Police.

Time to wake up and fight back people IMHO!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Once you look past the flub blub in this article, this boils down to simple attributes. You have a 9 year old who allegedly possesses illegally acquired media on their laptop as current laws/standards define.

This child presumably has parent(s), those parent(s) should have been monitoring their child's internet traffic...period.

“We have not done anything wrong with my daughter. If adults do not always know how to use a computer and the web, how can you assume that children or the elderly – or a 9-year-old girl – knows what they are doing at any given time online?"

I don't see how the fact that it was on a Winnie the Pooh laptop has anything to do with it. A laptop is a laptop is a laptop...the Winnie the Pooh casing is simply a marketing ploy. It has nothing to do with the allegation and is to me unnecessary flub blub that is trying to make a crime (by current standards) seem innocent and non-threatening because the crime was allegedly committed using a Winnie the Pooh laptop by a 9 year old.

Using the excuse, "well I don't know what I am doing or how to use the computer" is a lame excuse imho. How many people actually read the TOS, or the fine print? In which, I imagine Pirate Bay makes mention of downloading unlicensed material.

With that however, I will say that if they are going to make examples out of people, I do think a 9 year old is crossing the line. There are much more dastardly contributors of internet piracy out there. They should probably check the people who have Hello Kitty laptops

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Our police hasn't gotten into the tazer/shoot for entertainment phase yet.
Thing here is that they actually went out to buy the album on cd and it isn't even that long ago that downloading / copying from friends etc. was legal for personal use in here. It's these same copyright facist who got that changed. They have been hunting people and threatening them with lawsuits untill they pay up and then sign a nda about them. Last thing they want is pirate party in the government here too

edit on 22/11/2012 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
Once you look past the flub blub in this article, this boils down to simple attributes. You have a 9 year old who allegedly possesses illegally acquired media on their laptop as current laws/standards define.

This child presumably has parent(s), those parent(s) should have been monitoring their child's internet traffic...period.

“We have not done anything wrong with my daughter. If adults do not always know how to use a computer and the web, how can you assume that children or the elderly – or a 9-year-old girl – knows what they are doing at any given time online?"

I don't see how the fact that it was on a Winnie the Pooh laptop has anything to do with it. A laptop is a laptop is a laptop...the Winnie the Pooh casing is simply a marketing ploy. It has nothing to do with the allegation and is to me unnecessary flub blub that is trying to make a crime (by current standards) seem innocent and non-threatening because the crime was allegedly committed using a Winnie the Pooh laptop by a 9 year old.

Using the excuse, "well I don't know what I am doing or how to use the computer" is a lame excuse imho. How many people actually read the TOS, or the fine print? In which, I imagine Pirate Bay makes mention of downloading unlicensed material.

With that however, I will say that if they are going to make examples out of people, I do think a 9 year old is crossing the line. There are much more dastardly contributors of internet piracy out there. They should probably check the people who have Hello Kitty laptops

How about they go and find all the kiddy fiddlers who upload their s**t to the internet and abuse kids, instead of hitting an easy target.But of course that would mean they have to work. I mean anyone else find it funny that they can find 'illegal' downloaders but paedo's are almost impossible

IMHO i'd rather they started locking more people up for that than downloading tracks or films.

I download to find if i want to pay real money to go see / listen. If it's crap it gets deleted, if its good, guess what i go and buy it

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Quote from the article:

"...To stop matters progressing further the man was advised to pay a settlement of 600 euros, sign a non-disclosure document, and move on with his life. He chose not to give in to the demands of CIAPC and this week things escalated as promised..."

Ah yes, now the government has resorted to legalized blackmail. Pay up or we sue your arse back to the stone-age. Utterly disgraceful.
edit on 22-11-2012 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-11-2012 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
By defnition, i really doubt a 9 yr old Can be even held accounable for a "crime" of this sort......
Assming it really was a crime......
If anything, this ilulstrates how over broad these laws are and how impossible they will be to apply to society.
IE. If a nine yr old is so easily made into a criminal.....what chance does anyone have of living a crime free life?
The peoples will, has been disconnected to the governance of themselves......
Special interests, those with the bribe money, call the tune in Washington,(and the rest of the world) Those who have already too much play power games with impugnity.
Meanwhile the needs and aspirations of the populace go unrecognized.
And this is how mechanistically inhumane and foolish events are taking place daily all around us................where real lives are tramatised,...even taken.....by uncaring" enforcement officers" in the mindless pursuit of more money for the already wealthy.
I find it hard to imagine the amount of goverment spending on these mere money collecting goons.....
If this is the kind of "polcework" we are paying for.....i say fire them.....

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

Is it too much to ask that people use the article title and stop making BS up and posting it?

The Police DID NOT demand cash, the CIAPC demanded the cash.

Contrary to popular belief they are NOT the same thing. Judging by some of the comments some people have made, you should actually read the article before commenting on it.
edit on 22-11-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I usually do. However, the headline is not misleading. The cops were playing the soldiers for the corporation. Pay up or smack down, by the cops. How different is that from an episode theme of the Soprano's? 1 side has badges, the other don't.
edit on 22-11-2012 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
1 more post to take me off the triple digits. Happy Thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I'm surprised the 9 year old wasn't taser'd and beaten, the police are getting too soft.

These child criminals have been getting away with victimless crimes for far too long. I bet there's a whole crew of Winnie the Pooh pirate bandits out there going unpunished for these crimes.

If the kid had a Pitbull puppy I bet it would have been gunned down. I sleep better at night knowing the police are out there keeping us safe from all these criminals.

You should check this thread out. The most hilarious example of tazer-happy lawmen I ever heard of. I choked on some soda when i read the headline.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a 9 year old? How much torrents could a 9 year old possess that would lead to a house raid? just to be safe I feel like I should delete bittorrent and all my history of ever using it LOL

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by BM1092
a 9 year old? How much torrents could a 9 year old possess that would lead to a house raid? just to be safe I feel like I should delete bittorrent and all my history of ever using it LOL

Dont be silly mate and dont be intimidated by Police Scum. File sharing is a grey area IMHO!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This would be an even bigger social injustice if the kid had a Hello Kitty laptop.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
Absolutely appalling display of totalitarian power by what amounts to nothing more than a paramilitary force aka the Police Scum they obviously are!

This is the reason we need a dedicated forum here on ATS pertaining to Police brutality and stupidity!

We don't need another forum where we can hide behind our words, we need to take direct action against those scum.it will only escalate if we sit back and let it continue.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nake13

Originally posted by andy06shake

We don't need another forum where we can hide behind our words, we need to take direct action against those scum.it will only escalate if we sit back and let it continue.

You try taking any direct action against the Police and i think you will find they generally win my friend. Here in the UK you cannot even sue the Police unless they actively show malice towards you. And our words have a power of a kind. A dedicated forum towards police brutality can only be a good thing. Free speech is a fundamental Human right after all!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

Here is the title of the article you linked to -

Police Raid 9-Year-Old Pirate Bay Girl, Confiscate Winnie The Pooh Laptop

Please show me where, in the above title, it says police demanded cash?

You dont like cops.. I get it.. Its no reason though to intentionally mislead by using an edited title that does not portray what happened. They executed a warrant because she illegally downloaded songs, a law violation. As much as people think we live in one big communal world where a creation by one should belong to everyone, they have the same thing in common with Winnie the Pooh -

They both exist in the land of make believe.
edit on 23-11-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The police actually said "You should have just paid and our gloves would come off". So they did kinda say that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join