It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will we run out of music?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I agree there are infinite possibilities regardless of scale, but alternate tuning systems do not all use the same 12 notes of the common western chromatic scale.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyLiberalHippie

ive always used john lennons music to express how simplicity can be amazingly beautiful ... i was going to reply to this thread sayin so, and am glad you beat me to it cos your response was far better

great minds .. i bet many here share our view and think of john lennon as the perfect example ...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bacci0909

no as long as we dont run out of painting ideas

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
Impossible.

There will always be something new or revised or different.

Artistic expression knows no boundries. That's the beauty of it. Hell, Toni Iomi still has hundreds of riffs he never got to use. We can always just have someone make more Sabbath, using those riffs if we were to run out.

Happy Thanksgiving, ATS

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Also as a musician myself i completely agree with this.

The chords used in that video are very popular but there are many more, and can be used in almost an unlimited combination. I could make 10 songs out of the same chords that would sound nothing alike, and to a person person who isn't musically inclined, they wouldn't know any better.

Yer crap music is being pushed by the media and radio stations, but that doesn't mean there arnt amazing musicians out their, they just dont get reconised as easily.

Someone also said they are starting to use different scales to create things that are original. Eventually the happy go lucky chords will get old, and musicians will begin experimenting once again, so music may very well get strange soon enough. But all in all, music repeats itself.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
This thought has crossed my mind a few times. While there are only a limited number of musical scales that one can utilise, I think it's important to remember that the interpretation of how one uses these notes (improvisation, tone, timing, which instruments are used etc.) is basically unlimited. You can have many songs that are the same in chord progression but completely different in execution.

I don't think we will ever run out of new music that serves as entertainment for the masses. As others have stated, the question is whether we will run out of good music, but this is of course open to interpretation. But even if we do, there is more than enough quality music in existence to keep humanity enthralled for many years to come.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The amount of music we create is only limited to our level of creativity. There are so many things that can be explored in music, though today's popular music barely scratches the surface of what is possible...

Besides by using different scales, chords/chord progressions, time signatures, dynamics, rhythms, instruments, lyrics, recording styles, and much, much, more within dozens of different musical genres, music will always be able to sound new due to the individual styles/personalities different artists attach to their music

If you start thinking a lot of music sounds the same you just need to explore more!

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
In TV musical talent shows... the participants rarely do any original songs... and they are not judged negatively by that. It's a given that creativity of western popular music is on a wane. The participants only sing other people's songs.... This is so common and accepted, that no one really notices the dearth of originality shown on these shows and present in our popular musical culture.

When going to the movies... the new movies are rarely new plots... and they are not judged negatively by that. It's a given that creativity of western cinema is on a wane. The movie-makers many times make sequels.... This is so common and accepted, that no one really notices the dearth of originality inherent in many new movies and present in our popular movie culture.

Theoretically, yes... music is infinite. The number of movie plots are infinite as well. Practically speaking... not so much... at least for the two genres above.

I don't understand the concept of the TV musical talent shows... What kind of career do the winners get? Most of the time, no one knows if they have a creative lyrical or a creative "original music" bone in their body... So they are slotted to sing other people's songs for the next 40 years? This is what is held up to be a great thing in our culture now? I'm clueless.

edit on 24/11/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/11/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I'd say we've already run out of music. Or, perhaps, we just no longer know what music is...

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I used to enjoy Producing my own Music, Writing Lyrics and mixing it all down but then one day I just got Bored of it and stopped!!

I don't even know what is in the charts now or who is who unless I read about them online!

When I go out to the Lap Dancing Clubs, I listen to it there and still nod my head to the beat though so I guess there is still something in Music to keep people moving their bodies!!

I'm older now anyways so I guess that has something to do with it.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by BeneathBaseStupidity

Thats the sad reality we live in

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Honestly, we haven't even invented every possible instrument yet, have we? Even if the chords and notes are the same, the instrument playing them makes them sound different. Compare a chord from a piano and a guitar. Compare a chord from a synthesizer. And scratching turntables is an instrument too....it takes a really skilled person to not make it sound like sneakers in a dryer though. it usually sounds terrible.
Even an electric guitar versus an acoustic guitar is a huge difference. When the electric guitar was first invented, people claimed no one would ever like it. Because it doesn't sound like a guitar should. Remember, the electric guitar was supposed to just electrically amplify a guitar and keep the sound. They completely fail at that. But modern rock, heavy metal, alternative, grunge...where would these genres be without the electric guitar?

Hell, remember the Theramine (sp?)?

There will eventually be new instruments, which will also help to keep music new.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
There was once a time when I listened to the charts intently from around the very late 1970s, as a kid, to the middle of the 1990s. Popular music went through it's ups and downs but generally the advances in technology kept it breaking new ground (even though in a lot of case it imitated what came before - something would come along and sound fresh and new).

However once the synthesizer, CD, the pop video MTV era and sampling had run it's course there was very little new to be added into the m-m-mm-m-m-m-mix by the early 90s . They pumped up the compression and gave us mp3 for our ipods but it feels like we've reached the limit of 'new ' sounds. We now have insipid pop music in the 21st century blasted out on commercial radio because of the digital age we live in.

New music has to compete with it's glorious past more than ever before. The spread of radio and TV channels dealing in one specific genre has meant casual music fans listen to their favourite style and dismiss the others.

Music will always imitate itself as any art form has done down the years. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and the ABC song are exactly the same tune. Whilst there may be an almost infinite amount of tunes that can be composed, the amount of original good melodies that are instantly popular is diminishing every day. Different styling and vocalisations can take things so far but there is a limit to the notes a human being can sing as well. Odd chord progressions will often not be easy on the ear for most people and it is difficult to get a great melody from one.

So maybe that is why we are where we are?

By the way I really enjoyed the vid in the OP

edit on 24/11/12 by mirageman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

edit on 24/11/12 by mirageman because: double post

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

The past decade and more has certainly run out of good music.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
i'm always working on new music. 81 ideas in 3 months

soundcloud.com...

I sort of feel like "what can't I do" with music now..
even if I recycle what feels like the same things I always end up with something new and different..

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
we will neverrun out of music. Anywone can make it up and record it because there is so much free software around to creat a home record studio. Heres an example of a song i made up called "Thats all she talks about" using virtual instruments.

soundcloud.com.../thats-all-she-talks-about

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

nice track...
what software did you use for that?

edit on 28/12/12 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
No. The guy in the video puts unnecessary crutches on defining the circumstances of music, such as "8 notes over 12 intervals", or assuming a song would be 5 minutes. It's like he's ignoring the existence of everything that isn't popular music. What about ambient music, beat-less drones that go on for 20 minutes? What about progressive metal with crazy time signatures?

Although I have to say that it's a very interesting video. The point of how a song compresses using software can help us predict how well we will enjoy a song is intriguing. I don't know if he meant it this way, but it makes me wonder if the quality of digital music makes a difference. For example, would listening to lossless music on a regular basis have a positive effect, as opposed to listening to, say, 192kbs mp3s?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I use sampling rates of 128kps and 192 kps when making up music. The sampling rate does change the sound. Most recording software also has built in tools to change frequency. pitch of tones. I finding mixing down a musical track i have made up to be an artform in itself. Im average at it, and usually takes me ten attempts to mix something that sounds alright. Heres a song i made upo called Light from stars that took me many attempts of changing speed of song, and editing and mixing arrangement until i got something that i liked.

soundcloud.com.../light-from-the-stars

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join