It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will we run out of music?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

No, we never will. You can take 1 sample from a song and make 1000000000000000000000x different songs out of it.

Or you can do it with any sort of originally written piece.

edit on 22-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I've often thought over the years that we've had all the good songs there could be, and nothing as good will be released in the future, then bang, massive new song is released that I can't stop listening to.

A few snobs on here, music doesn't have to be original to be good, and just because you don't like a particular song doesn't mean its terrible. I would encourage people not to write off songs just because they're of a particular genre, can find some great songs among all genres

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

as far as i understand there is a finite amount of combanations of notes but it will take quite some time to reach that amount

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Music is called 'Music' as it derives from the word 'Muse', which is something or someone that gives you inspiration.

Billions and billions of people are inspired by something different every single day.

That guarantees that we will always have something new and engaging to listen to.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by connorromanow
reply to post by AlexIR

as far as i understand there is a finite amount of combanations of notes but it will take quite some time to reach that amount

But an infinite number of things that could be invented to make those notes.

It never ends.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Music is limited the same way our universe is...to the infinity.

I try my best to make new and good music too!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
I just can't see how it's possible to run out of music when you take into account the bazillion different sounds you can make from the bazillion different mediums used to make those sounds. And then all the possible combinations of those sounds to form a song.

Music has been around since the first time a caveman paid attention to the different sounds made from falling raindrops hitting a rock, the grass, a lake, a dead carcass, etc...

Frank Zappa started his music career by playing with a violin bow and the various parts of a bicycle.

Zappa was a legend but Captain Beefheart was even above that.

You can't recreate their type of music

Originally posted by SecretKnowledge
we will never run out of music, but we will probably run out of types of music.
every few years a new type of music comes out.
in the late 70's punk came out. which was totally original. since then theres been a lot of different forms of music. some inspired by others. the next original type of music was rap. which inspired hip hop which inspired dance music-house,techno etc. there has'nt been another totally original type of music since rap. dubstep maybe, but surely it has been created from dance music.
so i reckon its types of music will be less original, but we'll never run out of music

Dubstep you say?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by AlexIR

we are in danger of running out of good music

No, we are not. Turn off the radio and start your search.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Creativity has no limits.
Then there is evolution... in that what our ears can perceive will likely increase, pushing this "63 million digit" figure even higher. Finite? Mehhh.
Room will always be made if needed.

A lot of today's popular music all sounds the same though: all garbage that is.
It's all image with no creativity, no soul, and no love. Lemmings appreciate it because it all sounds the same, with slight differences here and there, like who the performer is.

And for the record: all hail metal, master race and most diverse genre of music.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
While I understand the sentiment of this thread, it's a bit ridiculous. If you had called it "Will we run out of s##tty pop music" you might have an argument, but anybody who's even remotely studied jazz, experimental, or for that matter any music that isn't confined to redundant formulas of verses and chorus's will tell you that we'll never be in danger of running out of music.

Music is art. This is like asking if we'll ever run out of things to paint

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by connorromanow
reply to post by AlexIR

There are also a finite amount of colors.. will we run out of things to paint?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
There are only 13 notes (including the Octave)...in all of music we've ever heard. Beatles, Bach, Eminem and everybody else...whomever. 13 notes.

If any two or more notes create a harmony...the posible combinations would be 13x13x13x13x13x13x13x13x13x13x13x13...TIMES 13....

Im off a bit on the 13 to the 13th power, but you get the point.Combinations are endless...and sound comes from many sources.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
There are only 13 notes (including the Octave)...in all of music we've ever heard. Beatles, Bach, Eminem and everybody else...whomever. 13 notes.

If any two or more notes create a harmony...the posible combinations would be 13x13x13x13x13x13x13x13x13x13x13x13...TIMES 13....

Im off a bit on the 13 to the 13th power, but you get the point.Combinations are endless...and sound comes from many sources.

Not to mention different tempos, keys, instrumentation, time signatures, grooves, etc.. You could end up making the exact same chord progression and melody sound literally thousands of different ways

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

Genius!!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

Everything you hear on the radio is pretty much those 4 chords, because it makes money. It's a product that is sure to sell to an audience who wants their music for background noise, not to actually enjoy. It's easy to listen to, it's the difference between a Danielle Steele novel and Finnegan's Wake.

The spectrum of music is incredibly broad, and when you mix things you get more new things. For example:

Then there's:
I think this fits into that four chord thing, but it's actually good, also, DAT BASS LINE. James Jamerson was a boss.

(p.s. There's going to be some unreleased Hendrix recordings released soon, keep an eye out,they're supposed to be quite different)

I recommend checking this out, highly:
www.youtube.com...

It'll give you a nice scope of just modern rock music. It encompasses quite a field.

Then there's bands like
Mastodon
Spinnerette
Grouper
Torche
JJ Gray & Mofro
Swans
Intervals
Baroness

etcetc

They're all putting out great stuff, all the time. We're not running out any time soon. Everyone can use stuff over and over again, but something will always remain individual about it.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
So I was thinking back then...
"When I get older, I'm not going to be like my parent generation and lose touch with the modern "pop" music. I'm going to stay in touch and know whats happening in the music scene."
But I didnt.
Because nothing new was invented, and each time I hear a "new" song, I cant help thinking its boringly derivative, sounds like something I heard before, not new, been there done that, a copy, not original.

I never expected "new" music to become... dull.

This can be explained rather simply.

As we live, we come in contact with so many things that at some point things begin to look similar. We have to either stay in a comfort zone that we're happy living in or push the limits to find things to make us happy.

With you and your parent, when you heard a "new" song it obviously didn't seem that way because you've lived long enough and heard enough music to associate it as unoriginal. Which is why teenagers and young adults are big targets for the music industry. This segment has the greater probability of latching on to a new song because they've perhaps not had an extensive exposure to music. They'll actually feel a new song is fresh and enjoy it as such.

I hope you get it.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

we will run out of alcoholic beverages before we run out of music, and i dont see that happening anytime too soon.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Well the first vid points out that if 100 song writers were to write one song every second it would take 248 years to run out of original pieces to compose so that is freaking lot of music.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger

False. There are many alternate tuning systems used to make music. Some of them use a lot more notes than the traditional chromatic scale.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MisterMarbles

Ok, ok...but thats a given. I use alternate guitar tunings myself. The point was (not about tuning because then there are even MORE than I specified). The combinations are endless, unique and vast. What with just the theory of 1 note and another 1 note...equals a harmony....with just that...there are endless combos.

And those alternate tunings you mentioned? Its STILL the same 13 notes. (not to even include flats and sharps, semi-tones and the like).

The oldest instrument? The human voice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join