It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will we run out of music?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I bet this question has been on almost everybody's mind at least once, you may have asked yourselves when will we run out of ways to make music.

The youtube video bellow will show you how much music we can create with the current posibilities:

I also suggest watching the series Everything is a remix to see why everything we hear sounds almost the same.

And as a bonus check these guys:

I suggest visiting the links in the video description to see just how many songs sound almost the same, its mind blowing!

Cheers!

EDIT: I think this is the wrong forum, so can a moderator move it to the appropriate forum?
edit on 22-11-2012 by AlexIR because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I have thought of this more times than I can remember. Could there be a time in music when every new beat has got a replica in the past? When however you wax a song somebody has already made it exactly before? But I seem to relate this phenomenum with infinity which implies that there must always be something new no matter what. Something akin to trillions of people living and dead having different finger prints. Oooppps! I am not too sure of this. It could be there are exact matches of finger print of some modern people with those who worked in the graden of Eden.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

we are in danger of running out of good music

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

As a musician myself, I am forced to consider unusual musical scales, beats and all... otherwise I can rarely do something original. I think there is a possibility music will become either absolutely boring, or, as boredom would mean loss in sales, music might become weirder. Nice food for thoughts.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by AlexIR

I saw the video last night and the answer is NO

You don't know what good music is

good music is complex.

edit on 22-11-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

good music is complex.

Not always. Listen to Fauré's "Pavane". A beauty.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Impossible.

There will always be something new or revised or different.

Artistic expression knows no boundries. That's the beauty of it. Hell, Toni Iomi still has hundreds of riffs he never got to use. We can always just have someone make more Sabbath, using those riffs if we were to run out.

Happy Thanksgiving, ATS

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The use of lyrics can also keep music alive. Right to left read to have we says who. Together words and music mix to ways creative many are there. Potential and possibilities endless has music. Die never will it.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by AlexIR

Not quite, BS music is encouraged by the big coorporations, there are a lot of underground and indie artists that create a huge amount of good music.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

"good music" is entirely subjective and "complex music" is no better or worse than "complex food". Is a Michelin star service meal better than a bacon sandwich? It depends on the person's tastes and their current mood, no answer is right or wrong.

As for will we run out if music... of course not. There's only 26 letters in the Western alphabet yet we're not in any danger of running out of prose.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

"good music" is entirely subjective and "complex music" is no better or worse than "complex food". Is a Michelin star service meal better than a bacon sandwich? It depends on the person's tastes and their current mood, no answer is right or wrong.

As for will we run out if music... of course not. There's only 26 letters in the Western alphabet yet we're not in any danger of running out of prose.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

I thought everyone knew that

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

Mainstream pop music has always targeted the lowest common denominator. People forget that even in the 60s the charts were filled with mundane music. Is it "bad" music? No, it fits it's purpose. It's no objectively "better" or "worse" than any other music. People all to often confuse their subjective tastes with objective facts, giving way to musical elitism which is nothing more than snobbery.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Knew what? You said "good music is complex". This is a nonsensical statement.
edit on 22-11-2012 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
As long as humans are able to think and create, we will never "run out of music".

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DirtyLiberalHippie

True, but we take inspiration from other people's work and we will most surely copy, this slows the originality process which gives us time to create more original music.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

You don't know what good music is

good music is complex.

Neither do you if you think you are an authority on what good music is. What you find to be good music, many others will find to be bad music.

And good music is not always complex. Some of the best music in the world is rather simple.

Imagine by John Lennon. A voice and a piano. About as simple as it gets yet it is arguably one of the greatest songs ever made.

Bob dylans music. A voice and a guitar. Great music!

Some of the best music, the most influential, is often times, amazingly simple and straight forward.

Forgive me, but you come off as arrogant in this thread.

Here, an example of good music that is simple yet amazingly beautiful. Good music does not have to be complex and over produced. John Lennon proved that.

We all have our own taste in music. Some one having different taste does not mean they have bad taste.

I repeat to the OP , as long as people are able to think and create, we will never run out of music.
edit on 22-11-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Music used to be an artform, now it's just a way to make loads of money by taking advantage of insecure teenage girls who need constant reassurance because of the high standards we set for woman. Boy bands are happy to make money off this.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
does this reminded anyone else of Spider Robinson story Melancholy Elephants ?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
People on the internet take things too literal

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join