It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else on the west coast of NA see Jupiter et al especially clearly this morn?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
It's about 5:22 AM where I am right now. Looking out my city street-light-blinded window, I have a rare glimpse of a very, very clear, very, very bright sky show. Jupiter, Capella, Orion, and others are all incredibly bright this morning for some reason. I've only been able to see the stars and planets this clearly and this incredibly brightly once before from my crowded, over-bright city, and that was some time back in the 90s when I happened to wake up late at night and see the very same part of the sky out a different window in a different home.

Extremely beautiful. Anyone else see this? Peace.
edit on 11/22/2012 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

YES I did and it was breathtaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Glad I wasn't alone! So, does anyone know what causes this? It is atmospheric combined with the time of year (longer night, objects normally outshined are still around when it's dark)?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
grrrr....

cloud cover here in Washington county (Oregon)

=(

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Parts of the west coast have experienced a lot of wind lately, and presumably that cleared the air somewhat. I don't know where on the coast you are, but much of northern Californa and southern Oregon look to have calmed down and now have very still air, which possibly makes for good "seeing".

I saw Jupiter last night (I'm in the Caribbean), and the air was sufficiently clear last night that I could see the main components of the Pleiades' star clusters.

Happy viewing!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Yes, I can't speak to the higher atmosphere of course, but it's definitely quite still and cold (for here) at least this morning. I'm in the general Bay Area (without being too specific.)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Well Nautical Sunrise times are the best for viewing the stars IMO. I live out in the country away from any city lights, but I remember living in California, I could never see anything unless I went to a higher altitude. I'm not sure why your morning was crystal clear. I would give thanks
and Happy Thanksgiving to you!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
It looked the same Wednesday morning too. I got up about 5:00, took the dogs out and noticed something very bright out of the corner of my eye. Turned to look and it was beautiful.

Should probably add I'm in Illinois.
edit on 22-11-2012 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I see Jupiter, and Orion at night, and Venus in the morning quite clearly here in the UK. At night i UFO watch from my balcony, i have a good view of the sky.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I live on the east coast and could see Jupiter, Neptune and one more but can't remember very well last night. I knew one was Jupiter but the others i used my Google Sky Maps to tell me what it was. I never saw Neptune before but it was there, a little tiny sparkly dot!

I wanted to see Mars but buildings were in my way.

Google Sky Maps is a really cool app. I love to sit outside and point at the sky and see what I'm looking at. I will usually use my telescope to look further but there is too much light for it to work properly where I live now. When I lived on the 6th floor of a condo that was a perfect view because it blocked all the street lights. I will have to find a nice dark area to take the telescope to to check out the sights.

Also Jupiter is usually bright. It's a huge planet
Its always the first one I can see at any time of the year.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Great sight from Sacramento this morning. Don't know if anyone is interested, but if you look directly above Jupiter you will see a star. Than looking directly to the right and left, you will see that it makes a perfect cross. just thought i'd throw that in.
Couple of satellites just passed through also.

Everyone have a safe Gobble,Gobble day.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Cold air makes the atmosphere clearer and contains less moisture. I'm looking forward to winter frosts when the winter constellations will be at their best.

Tip: get binoculars and see Jupiter's moons.

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I live on the east coast and could see Jupiter, Neptune and one more but can't remember very well last night. I knew one was Jupiter but the others i used my Google Sky Maps to tell me what it was. I never saw Neptune before but it was there, a little tiny sparkly dot!

Did you use a telescope? Because Neptune is not visible to the naked eye or binoculars. You can see Uranus in binoculars, though.

To check what's in the skies:
www.stellarium.org...
www.heavens-above.com... - whole sky chart
edit on 22-11-2012 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Getting the same lovely show this morning. I wish it would be this clear and bright year round so I could see other parts of the sky just as well.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Same here in the UK very cold clear night last night really good views of Orion etc. Hope it's like that over next couple of months as I hope to get some nice pics taken over winter months!

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Lucky, WA is elbows deep in a storm front. Won't clear up for a few days...

....miss everything cool.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I also have noticed that Jupiter is more remarkable these past few nights.

I'm in Memphis.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Well, the fog has descended again, so the show may be over for now
. It was an awesome few mornings sitting by the window with some music and coffee. Thanks, nature.
edit on 11/24/2012 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

new topics

top topics

join