It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***To Those Without Their Family This Thanksgiving***

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Many of us here on ATS are single, widowed, without their extended families or have their spouses or DP overseas; I am one of them.

Even though I am married with young kids, I live 2500 miles from all my family. It has been over 16 years since I have had one with my parents, siblings, grandparents or cousins......So I know a part of loneliness that comes with this holiday.

If you are like me and feel a sense of depression and isolation: Thanksgiving wishes to you from me, a stranger. I am counting my blessings which lately have not been much. My father has stage 4 cancer and is dying and I cant get to him, so it is breaking my heart. What am I thankful for?

I am truly thankful for my husband and children

Today is my sons 7th Birthday and it is the only thing that has reawakened me to what it truly means to be thankful. We are celebrating his birthday, watching the parade on TV cause all kids love that, taking him to a movie and then eating out at Cracker Barrel for dinner......

I will be thinking of each and everyone one of you!!!!!
Love,
Starwise

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Thanks for the kind thoughts. And I am deeply hurt to hear about anybody with cancer. I am a survivor myself..I know what hell it can be for everyone involved.

I am alone this Thanksgiving as well.

I made a similar thread wishing everyone a happy Thanksgiving earlier, but it wasn't nearly as heartfelt or eloquent as yours. Thanks

I know your family will be missing you too.
edit on 22-11-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
In the UK, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving, and it's sad because we have such a divide in our society at times that we could do with recharging those family oriented batteries and spending time with those who raised us and made s the people we are.

I'm sorry you can't spend this special time with the people you really care about, such as your parents.
I hope you have a really lovely day celebrating your son's birthday though.
Happy Thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
rock on buddiez

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie
In the UK, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving, and it's sad because we have such a divide in our society at times that we could do with recharging those family oriented batteries and spending time with those who raised us and made s the people we are.

I'm sorry you can't spend this special time with the people you really care about, such as your parents.
I hope you have a really lovely day celebrating your son's birthday though.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Maybe you and yours can make up your own day of celebration. Pick a date that is special to everyone, then cook up a feast honoring all the things you and your family is thankful for....I know, easier said than done.....

Thank you and Blessings to you!!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Thanksgiving give us all the oppourtunity to appreciate and value what we have.

Happy Thanksgiving from a member of your ATS family.

To everyone.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
Thanks for the kind thoughts. And I am deeply hurt to hear about anybody with cancer. I am a survivor myself..I know what hell it can be for everyone involved.

I am alone this Thanksgiving as well.

I made a similar thread wishing everyone a Thanksgiving earlier, but it wasn't nearly as heartfelt or eloquent as yours. Thanks

I know your family will be missing you too.

You are not alone in spirit.

Thank you for your comment about my father. It is tough. He had his lung removed 4 years ago, now they have found out it has spread throughout his bladder and through the wall etc.....he is tired, sick and in pain and I cannot fly to be by his side. The pain is overwhelming but I must keep it together.

Blessings to you

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

C'mon over and bring the kids, they'll love the beach and I'm making enough to feed an army!

edit on 22-11-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Thank you Star Wise.

I lost my mom on Jan 21st 2011 to stage IV lung cancer. How it all transpired was just as hard as the actual death. I love in North Carolina. My family is mostly in West Virginia. My moms birthday is November 23rd, so naturally I would go home every thanksgiving for the holiday and her birthday. So on November 22nd of 2010 I went home. Mom had been in relatively good health, no major issues. We took her out to eat on her birthday the next night. Later that we rushed her to the ER for chest pain. It was all downhill after that. They confirmed that she had a heart attack, and within 2 days she was diagnosed with lung cancer and was told that she had less than a year to live. The doctors were amazed that she had show no hardcore symptoms till the heart attack.

I put my life on hold and stayed with her the entire time. She decided to try chemo. I honestly didn't want her too, because I knew it was going to make her feel even worse, but she wanted to fight, so of course I kept my opinion to myself. The chemo was awful for her. She passed away less than 2 months later on January 21st, 2011. Thanksgiving was always big for us and mom and I were very close. So these holidays are really hard for me. This is the second one without her and it seems harder than the first one. Perhaps I was still in a state of confusion and denial last year.

Regardless, just know that your post did indeed make a difference. It was nice to read it upon waking up this morning. I started a new tradition last year. I now cook dinner for me and my drummer/best friend. I understand what you are going through with your father. I have no great words of wisdom. All I can do is sympathize. Happy Thanksgiving to anyone else that is reading this thread.

Matt

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
At 73 I have outlived almost all of my blood family. My second wife died of cancer in 1995. My third wife decided she would rather be with her daughter and moved from Georgia to Illinois three years ago. You would think I have plenty to be sad about but you would be wrong.

I still have my health

I attend a church where I have made several good friends.

I enjoy being retired and love to write.

And last, but not least, I have many online and Facebook friends with whom I communicate regularly.

So I wish a happy Thanksgiving to all of you and encourage you to keep a positive attitude of thanks for what you do have and not dwell on what you have lost.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I don't have family close by, any more. My mom passed away a year ago and my brothers and one sister all live out of state. I cook at a homeless shelter, so I'm preparing a Thanksgiving dinner for 30 to 40 people today. Turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberries and pumpkin pie. I would have liked to had sweet potatoes, too, but I work with food that's donated and I just don't have them.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing this Thanksgiving. I extend blessings to you and all here on ATS wherever we may be and good cheer for the holidays.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

You should feel lucky just having your own family with you, husband and kids.
Im a single dad and its just me and my two teenagers for dinner and even though they drive me nutz on a daily basis, I couldnt be happier with them.
Take care.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
Many of us here on ATS are single, widowed, without their extended families or have their spouses or DP overseas; I am one of them.

Even though I am married with young kids, I live 2500 miles from all my family. It has been over 16 years since I have had one with my parents, siblings, grandparents or cousins......So I know a part of loneliness that comes with this holiday.

If you are like me and feel a sense of depression and isolation: Thanksgiving wishes to you from me, a stranger. I am counting my blessings which lately have not been much. My father has stage 4 cancer and is dying and I cant get to him, so it is breaking my heart. What am I thankful for?

I am truly thankful for my husband and children

Today is my sons 7th Birthday and it is the only thing that has reawakened me to what it truly means to be thankful. We are celebrating his birthday, watching the parade on TV cause all kids love that, taking him to a movie and then eating out at Cracker Barrel for dinner......

I will be thinking of each and everyone one of you!!!!!
Love,
Starwise

***as tears instantly begin to stream down my cheeks like endless rivers flowing to an ocean, as I bow my head, ***

"this should not be LORD~!, make a WAY where there seems no way .. smash the locked doors and barricaded restricted areas and cut through all the 'red-tape' & rip down the gates that will not allow Starwise and those who have replied to be reunited again with their family and friends! Perform the miracles of miracles that will silent even the one writing this because you love them in hopes that they will experience YOU as I have~!

I would ask for this as a present to me from You, personally. I will consider it done. Thank You"

Dear Starwise and to all here in replies,

I have spent a Christmas by myself with no place to go before, no close or not-so-close family called to check up on me, even close friends didn't stop by to say hi, on such a holiday, the very day the entire world celebrates together as one; I remained a stranger in my own land.

The above prayer may sound silly to some, but, i can tell you this, it's from a heart of empathy and love of my Spiritual Father and a fellow human being in hopes that you will know, there IS someone that knows what you're going though, right now.
edit on 22-11-2012 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Remedylane

I am glad you read my post if it made you feel a little bit better...I am sorry for your loss. It is hard to deal with the loss of loved ones during the holiday seasons. A huge part of me is already in mourning.

Blessings to you!!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Happy Thankgiving to you and yours.
Sorry to hear of your Fathers illness.
Maybe you can contact the local news station
about your situation to get help with a airline ticket
to go see your Father?There are many big generous
hearts out there that may help.

I'm spending the holiday with two of my single children
as my spouse is halfway around the world,and my oldest
son is in Kuwait for a year.
I miss them both terribly.

Happy Happy Birthday to your son!

Bless your family and will say a prayer
for you Father and Mother.

edit on 22-11-2012 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Thank you, that was very nice

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I haven't had Thanksgiving with the family since 2001, and before that 1979. Christmas is pretty much the same. For some reason we all get along fairly decent the rest of the year with the exception of these two days.

But my ear will be glued to phone all day today.

Best wishes to you and yours.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Happy thanksgiving everyone

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Sorry to hear about your dad.

Happy Thanksgiving.
edit on 22-11-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
On the general subject of being alone, we don't celebrate thanksgiving where I live but I will be alone on Christmas for the first time. I just wondered what you others do on holidays like thanksgiving, christmas, etc, when you are alone. I've signed up to help out at a soup kitchen kind of thing (may as well help others than sit at home drinking) but i'd like to know what other people do.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join