It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elderly cat behaving like a kitten?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Just last week I was thinking to myself that it is time I get used to the fact that my beloved cat won't be around much longer. She has arthritis, for the last six months or so when she isn't sleeping, she is just plain old grumpy and rarely wants to be pet any more. I think she is in a lot more pain than the vet acknowledges, although she is on prednisone. I was getting to the point where I was wondering if keeping her alive was being cruel and selfish on my part, because I know I'll be devastated when she is gone.

Well, today she has been acting like a kitten, running through the house and playing. I haven't seen her play in at least a year if not more. I am not sure what to make of it. As I type, she is chasing a toy mouse all over the house.
Anyone have any ideas of why? Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled she has some of her spunk back but part of me is almost fatalistic in thinking.

Has anyone with experience with elderly cats seen this?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
This is how my kitty was when she was in her last 2 years. She was old and grumpy then outta no where she came around and loved being loved again.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Yeah, my 24-year-old alpha was too senile in his final days, had no teeth, was skin and bones, and developed an aggressive tumor on one of his leg joints, which forced us to put him to sleep. I say enjoy it and keep your kitteh comfy.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Maybe she was just depressed for awhile, and something snapped her out of it.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Cats never like to give up all their secrets. They take the "friends close, enemies closer" adage to a new level. I've been repeatedly surprised by cats doing things they never do, simply because they either forgot I was in the room, or didn't notice I had come in.

They also practice parkour while we're not watching... I'm certain it's just in case of zombie apocalypse.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Well, today she has been acting like a kitten, running through the house and playing.

The only thing I know that can have this effect on a creature is love.

Maybe she has fallen in love with the tom next door

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Wow

My elderly cat started this yesterday!! I have not seen him play with the other cat in months!!!!
I was startled! I have no idea why this occurred all of a sudden! But I am very happy to see it!!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I've seen a similar behavioral change in two of our kittehs toward the end of their days. I think that in both cases they'd had a illness that the vets were unable to diagnose, and eventually got over the illness. In both cases, they began bouncing around and chasing things and generally acting young.

Our current elderly cat is doing much the same, after having dropped a couple of pounds -- she wants to play "string" after ignoring it for the last year or so. In this instance, introducing a younger cat to the fold, while initially ticking her off, seems to have incited her to become more active, eat less, and she lost some weight.

Hopefully, this is a case of your cat having not been feeling good and now does. Love them and enjoy your time together, as with the people you love.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

People be aware of what you feed your pets and what happens to them after they pass on -

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
My mum had a cat that for some unknown reason used to just hate me. Seriously spit and hiss at me. This went on for at least 14 years, with a few years prior where she was just one of the house cats.

But she became so seriously ill in her last days. And the strangest thing, she'd come over to me purring and let me pet her as if I were her best friend, and she'd nuzzle me and fall asleep as content as can be on my lap.

Whereas she'd eat my face off 6 months earlier.

I knew it was her slipping away... and one morning, about 4am she was in the kitchen and looking at me, so I went to pet her.. I knew she was there, she had her in her eyes, but she was going. I felt so helpless, but just whispered that she can go, she's had a good run... she'd forgiven me, I guess.

that morning she passed as she lay on my mums lap.. about an hour later.

It was the strangest yet most saddest thing I'd seen in a long time...

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Could be, she's knows it's Thanksgiving and knows your going to give her some Turkey.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Your cat is on prednisone? A steroid. No wonder she has energy!

edit on 23-11-2012 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I have had many pets I have lost over the years and it's always soooooo sad. When your cat starts acting differently and hides, you'll know it's time. Cats are etremely good at hiding their pain, so when they start acting diferent, you know something is terribly wrong!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Your cat is on prednisone? A steroid. No wonder she has energy!

edit on 23-11-2012 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

It's has taken me a while to respond but thank you everyone.
She has been on prednisone for over a year, so it's not that. She is back to her old grumpy self today anyways. Wanting to be near me, but not touched.

Every little thing she does out of the ordinary makes me worry now.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Awwwwww, if she doesn't want to be touched and is grumpy, she is probably in a lot of pain and her quality of life is suffering. I know you love her dearly, there is no doubt there. If she doesn't improve with meds, you may want to consider ending her suffering. I know how difficult that is.

I had a 19 year old gorgeous, sweet and loving himalayan cat called Tai. He was my favorite and I just adored this gentle giant. He became sick and we were told to force feed him. After a couple of attempts, it broke my heart too much and I stopped. He just refused to eat. He was always by my side following me around and he was reduced to lying around in an out of way spot.

My heart was breaking. I did not want to let him go, but I knew that his quality of life had gone and that he was suffering. I held him close and cried my eyes out and decided that I would not allow his suffering to continue for even one more day. To this day, I know I made the right decision for him. We had many,many years of love and joy spent together and for that I will always be grateful.

Many people who lose pets say they will never get another but keep in mind that there are thousands of unwanted, homeless cats who are desperate for a home and someone's love. I have an all white deaf persian cat with Ice blue eyes who I rescued and is my little companion now. She was like a wildcat when I first got her, all hissing and growling and terrified out of her mind. It took me a long time and with a lot of patience and love, she is now the gentlest, sweetest and most loving cat!

I believe with all my heart that if you have to make that decision to let her go, she will know that you love her deeply and that you didn't want her to suffer any longer. I also believe that she will go on to a better place.

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

join