It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Insight Into Depression: The Holidays

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I always wonder what the diet is of the people that are depressed..
90% of people who suffer from depression dont eat well, drink too much alcohol and caffeine.
lay out your diet and research natural mood elevators..
Honestly, ive helped many people with depression issues by simply prescribing natural food remedies.

example:
Certain food color additives cause anxiety issues with some people
MSG can cause intestinal complications, and severe head pains.
Sodium nitrates are linked to cancers...

the point here is.. your brain is directly affected by what you eat.

strong doses of natural Niacin can cure depression..
And anti-depression pills can actually deplete your body of the needed vitamins and minerals
needed for mental health regulation..therefore enslaving you to the need for them.
No, Im not a doctor.. dont need to be.. I read the same books they do..
regardless.. education into what you consume is the first step..

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

I'm on a gluten-free, fish-rich, vegetable-rich, no processed foods diet and walk five miles a day. (My mother has Crohn's so we kind of have to do this. We can't afford two separate diets.) While my health has benefited immensely in general, and it's great, my mental health... not so much.

There are a lot of things, including nutrition and activity, that help a lot of people. But there are also some people for which very little if anything truly helps. Everyone is different. That said, nutrition and sufficient vitamins,minerals et al is probably good advice for anyone and never hurts.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Since writing this OP - I've been on a personal emotional roller coaster. More downs than ups - and a lot of random and nonspecific angst. Generally in what one could hold ornery. I expected it, so was prepared ( as best as that is possible ) and am coping. In addition to the emotional issues, the fall almost always includes me catching the cold that won't go away. Just about every year I get an upper respiratory infection, when the weather changes, that kicks my butt for a month or two.

My doctor says it is a mold allergy but has never actually run any tests, so I don't know for certain. I just now I sneeze and cough a lot between Halloween and Christmas. That just adds to the fun.

I am adding to this thread because I don't want it to simply become a "Thanksgiving and Black Friday are over - so the problem has passed" thing. That's not how it works at all. For people like me these feelings will continue well into January. I want this thread to be a place where we all can come and vent, share, exchange advice, and provide support for one another.

Some of us are alone. Some of us just feel alone - even if we're not. The latter is my case. I am blessed that there are people in my life who care about me and even a few who know about my problems and go out of their way to try and help. While I am eternally thankful and grateful for that blessing - it doesn't change the fact that these feelings happen and that they can be profound and overpowering at times. It also doesn't change the fact that the very act of trying to explain it all to someone who doesn't already get it can be as troubling as the problems are themselves.

This thread can serve as our lifeboat. As our "family" of people who do get it, automatically, and who can truly share in it all with us.... Straight through the entire holiday season.

Please feel free to post here. It's a safe place.

I will continue to add to this thread, reply to posts, and share what I am feeling here until it's behind us.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Re diet: I do intake caffeine in the form of iced tea. I don't drink coffee at all and very drink Pepsi once in awhile. I rarely drink alcohol - having only done so twice in the past few years.

My diet is, IMO, healthy. I cannot eat fish due to a seafood allergy, but otherwise have a very balanced diet that I think most nutritionists would approve of. I do not eat much junk food and do not snack much. Most of my meals include a meat, two vegetables, and a starch.

I also take a daily multivitamin and eat a banana each day for the potassium. Additionally, when I do snack it is usually berries or nuts. I prefer strawberries and blueberries for the berries - and almonds for nuts.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Thanks Heff. Not feeling so lonely now. I've had this damn depression for 30 years now. Meds aren't working so well right now, so I've spent the long Thanksgiving weekend coping and trying to hide the depression from the kiddos. Hubby knows & is helping distract them.
SAD seems to be a component of my problem so hubby built me a wonderful full-spectrum lightbox, which I use a minimum of 30 mins per day.

Whoever said "repeat January 1st" - hallelujah! Can't wait until the month of December is over.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Hi. I m new to ATS.Hope I don t make mistakes here
Haven t figured out how to introduce myself yet but
couldn t ignore this thread. It is a very important subject. Been there myself,but no longer. So lucky to have
found the cure.Works for add, adhd, dyslexia, autism, schizophrenia, anorexia, ptsd, ocd, etc. It is related to
diet as lil drummer boy explained but there is more to it. This might get long, but hang in there, it willbe worth
it.
I should explain a little of my background. I was probably depressed from the age of ten , a symptom of adhd.
I was very active in sports and still am which I think lessened my symptome and allowed me cope better with
life.However, lots of alcohol in teens and twenties. No deression
but my relationships never wodepressantrked out.
In my late 20 s my partner and I decided to have a baby. I quit partying and loved being a Mom. Both my sons,
now in their early 30 s have problems with depression, addictions, alcohol and the oldest one has dyslexia
and ocd. Both work steady and are kind caring people, and are starting to take nutrition seriously. They have
seen what I went thru and how I have healed. But it wasn t depression that made me make BIG changes,

I had liver cancer and during surgery was transfused with Hep C. Things went down hill within a few years after
surgery. Was put on antidepressants, migraine meds, hormone replacement. I was 40. Liver problems can
throw you into early menopause. And the depression cane back with a vengence. Caused serious problems
in my relationship at the time, we broke up, and my sons , in their late teens, went to live elsewhere.

Wow, when I read this back it seems like a nightmare, like it happened to some one else.Ok, to the cure now.
The meds were not helping. Went off them and started looking for natural solutions. When the pupil is ready
the teacher will come. I ve been doing 20 years of research into nutrition , natural healing, and have tried just about
everything
)) I am a raw vegan now , have been for 7 years, but you do NOT have to do this to heal. Whole foods
some raw , organic, non-GMO, unprocessed is very important. No pesticides , fungicides, herbacides,
pasteurized, homogenized, genetically modified .....suicide. No boxes , cans, jars, full of additives, msg- yes
its still in all processed food , there are 50 other names for it- artificial colors, flavors etc. All very addicting,
causes obesity , destroys your health...physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

Now their are certain supplements that are very crutial for gut and brain health.This is the connection.ALL disease
starts in the colon. How many suffer from gas, burping, farting, bloating, acid reflux, dairrhea, constipation. Or did.
Too many people are dying of embarassment. Probiotics-acidopholus and bifidus- , digestive enzymes, and
omega oils- fish, flax, hemp- are very important to heal the gut . Heal the gut and you heal the brain and every other
part of the body, cancer, diabetes, mental illness, etc.

NO grains-gluten-, no dairy-casein-, no soy, no sugar or anything with sugar in it. These are some of the foods tht
affect bowel health negatively.

There are many books out their with this information and with recipes and step by step directions. Acouple that I h

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by chagahunter

OOps sorrry. Hit a wrong key. Hope your still with me. I m not used to typing this much all at once

Acouple good books:

Gut Solutions by Dr. Watson
Renew Life by Dr. Watson

She has a website and supplements in health food stores call Renew Life
renew life.com

Conscious Health by Ron Garner

Gut and Psychology Syndrome GAPS by DR. Natasha Campbell-McBride

She is in the U.K. and went back to school to get MMedSci(neurology, MMedSci(nutrition)
She was already a medical doctor and her son was autistic. She has healed patients with add, adhd, epilepsy,
dyslexia, autism, depression, schizophrenia.

Colonics or enemas are highly recommended if needed. Constipation will kill you.
I ussed vegetable juices, enzymes, probiotics and colonics to heal from liver cancer and hep C
My friendused this proticol to heal her father from ALS, another woman used this for MS.
We all did mega enzymes and probiotics 50-10 enzymes a day and 25-50 probiotics a day, plus about 4 litres
of juice and daily enemas or colonics. This is serious healing , but for depression start slow , you donot need to
be nearly so extreme. Read thesebooks , check out websites for natural healing, googll DR. Ann Wigmore.

Sooory about the length but I don t like to see people suffer needlessly. I know what I went thru , it was not pleasant.
These days I wake up with a smile on my face even tho I have lived alone for 10 years ,the world is a mess,
and this will be the 3rd Xmas I spend by myself with no family or friends. Happiness truly comes from inside and the
body being healthy. I hope at least some of you will start to add these suggestions to your daily diet. Nothing changes
if nothing changes. I wish you all well for the holiday season ahead. Hope to see around the site. I ll introduce myself
formally when I figure that out
I m into survival topics as well.

running with the wolves

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Bumping this because the Holidays are far from over and shopping stress, solitude, etc. Might be affecting some of the membership.

For my own part? I'm currently kind of disassociated from the whole Holiday thing. The few presents I have to buy were all bought during the course of the year - so right now I am on autopilot and living life as I normally would. But, mid December is fast approaching and I'll find myself missing the office parties and friends and family gatherings that, would previously have had me running around like a chicken with its head missing.

So, know ATS... if you're feeling the Holiday blues - this is a good place to vent.

NOTE: Since I introduced this thread, there has been a change to the T&C's - specifically.

16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form.

Threats of suicide, discussion of past suicide attempts, or asking for advice on ways to commit suicide are also forbidden and will result in immediate account termination.

So, if you find yourself feeling that blue? Please don't discuss it here - at all, in any way, shape, form, or manner. You can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255) and let the professionals there take care of that end of things.

But if you just need to talk to folks who are going through similar situations, need a place to vent a bit, or want some cheering up? By all means - this is the thread for you.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
My holiday blues are not related to shopping stress, but isolation is a key factor for me. This time of year reminds me of what I am missing out on in my life, specifically my "other" home across the big pond. I spent a total of 18 Christmases in Germany. For me there is nothing quite like a German Christmas, and so I get very homesick for "Mein zweites zuhause" (my second home)

I think there are many people who are far away from loved ones, or simply far away from home, and cannot just hop on a plane and fly home for the holidays, I spoke with one of my friends in Germany today and she told me they got a bit of snow in Germany already. It felt so good just talking with her, and it cheered me up so much.

Reaching out to those who understand is one of the best ways for me to get through the holiday season. So I just wanted to share that and let others know they are not alone and I understand that "homesick" feeling as well.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
A well-written thread and a great topic for discussion.
I used to dread this time of year, but gave up celebrating holidays altogether and feel so much better.

I just want to share this song, because I'll never forget the people I've known or the places I've been and the sadness this time of year brings out. (Gosh, I want to cry every time I hear this song!)

Good words, Heff, to lend folks a smile and some compassion, and a chance to just be themselves. That's the gift we can all give that doesn't cost a dime.

Sorry if this song is such a downer, but it's about how reality is for some.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 4-12-2012 by On the Edge because: video difficulties!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Bumping for anyone who might be feeling the pressures of the Holidays this week. Also to say, if I haven't done so yet in this thread, if discussing things in public is difficult, my inbox here is always open.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I can really relate.. The love hate relationship with the holidays went exactly the same way..

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Thank you for this thread Heff - it has definitely helped on this side of the screen as well.

For those who don't know me, I have a diagnosis of Schizoaffective Bi-Polar with attendant Social Anxiety and the holidays always hit me harder than the rest of the year. It's not so much my condition that overwhelms, but the expected social pressures of interactions, gatherings, gift finding and, as you mentioned before - the anticipation of family gatherings.

My husband suffers from Acute Social Anxiety as well, and this is the time of year he tends to throw himself into his work with abandon and I want nothing more than to stay hidden under the covers sleeping, waiting for all the trappings of the Modern Christmas to go away and be done with.

Over the course of the past two months it's been a challenge just getting routine day to day chores and errands tended to - our small town is a commerce hub for several small surrounding towns and there are loads of new faces and cars all over the area, adding to an already busy little town. It can be exhausting trying to navigate the traffic on foot, and it will never cease to amaze me how stressed the whole environment feels as folks attempt to navigate the terrain and stores searching for their gifts and so forth.

So, the anxiety goes through the roof with no easy escape from the throngs of shoppers, the charitable donations with outstretched hands everywhere you turn, the incessant repetition of the same music in every outlet and to add insult to injury the bank account is quickly bled dry from required Christmas cards, gifts and cab rides when things get to be too much....stress upon stress and eventually I'm home and I just seek to escape into the aforementioned sanctity of slumber.

I know not everyone who experiences these types of things is suffering from a mental condition, but it seems to me that so much of the world goes slightly mad this time of year....over-stimulation and increased demands in an already overstimulated and demanding world....all for the sake of commerce it seems.

My heart and prayers go out to everyone this Season - may you find Peace amid the Chaos, and, if possible help to share that peace with as many as possible.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I have a birthday this month, too, so... all sorts of emotions bubble up as I age in addition to the holiday related ones lol.

As stated elsewhere, if anyone needs to talk, feel free to PM me, or as Heff suggests, just post here. I am willing to be a surrogate listener this December and thereafter, and I'm sure others are as well. Not only is it winter, but a lot of people may end up feeling disillusioned due to the potential non-fruition of December 21st if it is among their core beliefs. I respect and appreciate everyone's beliefs, and you will not find any condemnation when talking to me.

We are not alone.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Even though I am not quite sure if I'll be here to monitor and help today - as I am not doing so great myself this afternoon. I thought this thread might need a bump for those who are feeling the way that I am right now.

Please feel free to vent here. If you are overpowered by things right now and feel as though you cannot cope, please, PLEASE - call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) and talk to the experts there.

You have a community here. You have friends. You have people who understand. You are not alone.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Bumping for anyone who might need it.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
You okay, Heff?

A very close friend of mine who has never really had severe depression before recently started feeling very badly, couldn't find any happiness, and became so depressed that he felt physically ill. It disturbed him so deeply that he ended up going to doctor to make sure he wasn't about to have a stroke or transient ischemic attack. Fortunately he was fine, but he was for the first time diagnosed with clinical depression. And he's nearly 40. So it really can happen at any time. He was fine one day, and the next barely functional due to severe depression. He has no idea why or how it occurred. Nothing seemed to precipitate it.

Just sharing and also bumping the topic, as Heff said, for anyone who might benefit from it.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Well, today I got slammed by depression myself. Profound sadness would be more apt, actually, as this isn't really like my clinical depression. Very unexpectedly, and in a way I didn't expect, great sadness descended on me. This year I've had to take care of my mom due to illness, and in the beginning it was very nerve-wracking and overwhelming, but that passed. I eventually got used to it, such that one ever can. And I haven't even felt particularly bad about it in the last few months, because it's been (relatively) easier than it had been, other than concern for her of course.

We celebrate "the holidays" on the winter solstice, and everyone wasn't off work that day so we had it yesterday and today instead. Somehow the holidays and memories of my mom being healthier and more vital made what had been bearable suddenly not so bearable. The realization of what I've had to do for her daily for most of the year really sunk in and I just kind of descended into a deep, profound sadness. And then I started thinking about my (first and only) ex, with whom I'm still good friends, and how she's married now so I can't talk to her much anymore. And I just became deeply lonely. We don't really have any friends or family to help us cope with our situation and there's no program to help with mom's care, so it's basically my job, since I'm unemployed and screwed up myself. I'm more than willing to do it, but some days it's very draining.

Anyway... it was just a very disempowered, alone feeling. So, my reaction to these feelings is generally 1) to talk about them (which I've done now,) and 2) to tell everyone else around me I love them. So... I love you guys. *Hugs to all.*

Peace.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join