Russia: Patriot missile deployment at Syria-Turkey border would be 'alarming'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
RT

Russia says it's concerned over the possibility of Patriot missiles deployment at Turkish border with Syria and has called on Ankara to stop "building muscles."

Russia’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Aleksandr Lukashevich said that Militarization of the Syrian-Turkish border is an alarming signal. He recommended Turkey to use their influence on the Syrian opposition to promote the soonest beginning of the inter-Syrian dialogue . He also warned Turkey against building muscle or putting the situation on such a dangerous track .

DETAILS TO FOLLOW

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Turkey had formally asked the NATO to deploy Patriot missiles to protect its long border with Syria

Turkey has formally asked the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to deploy Patriot missiles to protect its long border with Syria, the military alliance said on Wednesday, raising the prospect of a further militarization of the neighbors' tense frontier amid heightened concerns the civil war is spilling onto Turkish territory.

online.wsj.com...

In response , NATO agreed to consider Turkey's request as soon as possible

In a statement, NATO said that it would consider alliance-member Turkey's request "without delay" and announced that a NATO team would visit Turkey for a site-survey to consider a deployment next week.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I think it is a prudent move by Turkey. Patriot missiles are defensive in nature, and Syria has already shown it's willingness to let the war spill over into other countries.

Much ado about nothing, in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Meanwhile ,Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Aleksandr Lukashevich said that the ministry would refrain from commenting further until Russia's NATO partners reached a decision.
Now lets wait and see . I hope NATO and Turkey will not take Russian warning lightly . If they continue with their plan , it may result in all out WWIII .

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkrunner

prudent move by Turkey

Prudent move ? I think thats the most stupid move by Turkey . Turkey and NATO wants to add more fuel to already burning Syria for their strategic interest .

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
A defensive missile system is not a threat.

It is a sign that the country deploying it faces a threat.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Then how would NATO react if Russia deploys similar Missile system in Iran ? Would that be acceptable ?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by UltraMarine
reply to post by butcherguy

Then how would NATO react if Russia deploys similar Missile system in Iran ? Would that be acceptable ?

Defensive missiles? That can only be used to shoot down other missiles? I don't see a problem with it.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Meanwhile ,Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Aleksandr Lukashevich said that the ministry would refrain from commenting further until Russia's NATO partners reached a decision.
Now lets wait and see . I hope NATO and Turkey will not take Russian warning lightly . If they continue with their plan , it may result in all out WWIII .
What warning? Russia said it would be alarming. I see no warning there. They'll monitor the situation, as they should.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

First of all its not a warning because Russia is in no position to do anything about it. Second Turkey can do as it pleases. And please lay of the WW3 rubbish it got old about 5 years ago.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Is it raining missiles in Turkey?Then why do they need an advanced anti-missle system like that for?Answers are no it isn't and no they don't.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentX09

I would think that it would be better to have the defense set up before the missiles start raining down, right?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by UltraMarine

Over-pacifism in the face of opposition, or "falling down at the line" ... I recall a speech from a Libertarian poster on another board years ago who addressed the matter quite well. It's fine to advocate peace, resolve to settle matters without violence, let cooler heads prevail, and to advocate against military spending as a default. Then again if the Mongols are riding to the gate it's best to put peace talk aside and defend your families and friends. A certain amount of the populace of Turkey would be wanting to see defensive preparations and the ability to repulse invaders, making this a responsible move given the PTB limitations over policies..

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
I think it is a prudent move by Turkey. Patriot missiles are defensive in nature, and Syria has already shown it's willingness to let the war spill over into other countries.

Much ado about nothing, in my opinion.

You may be correct. However it's worth noting that placing a patriot system near the Syrian border could actually be used to create a no fly zone in northern Syria. This could effectively be used to create a more secure area for Syrian rebels to both control and defend against the Syrian government.

Not saying it's right or wrong but the Syrian government considers the rebels to be terrorists.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09
Is it raining missiles in Turkey?Then why do they need an advanced anti-missle system like that for?Answers are no it isn't and no they don't.

Is it raining missles down on the US? Then why do we need and advanced anti-missle system like that?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Defencive Missile Systems are only that in name.

For example, the Missile Shield in Eastern Europe is claimed to be Defensive in Nature. But the truth is that it greatly assists a First Strike capability should it be chosen, as it protects the attacker against a retailiation to the initial first strike, allowing a more succesfull second strike without the Mututally Assured destruction of times gone by.

Defensive only in Name, but an offensive tool if used in conjunction with others.

Just my take on it.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

You my Aussie counterpart do no understand missiles if you think because raetheon et. al place the name "defensive" on them.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
The Russian "muscle building" comment shouldn't be taken lightly. If, hypothetically, Turkey were planning a strike on Syria, it would make sense to first install a strong defensive measure against a counter-strike. In a case like that a defensive move can be seen as a preliminary to offense.

Russia is probably wondering what the priority is, offense or defense? They will be looking at all aspects of the situation as any prudent government would.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Plans for the deployment of the Patriot Missile Air-Defence Systems on the Turkish-Syrian border are defensive in character, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said in a telephone talk with Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov. Earlier Moscow voiced its concern over the militarization of that region.

The above-mentioned telephone talk was held on the initiative of the NATO Secretary General. Moscow says that Rasmussen wanted to clarify the situation with the deployment of the Patriot Missile Air-Defence Systems on the Turkish territory. Ankara filed a relevant request to NATO on November 21st. The information that appeared in the press more than once last month said that Turkey was making preparations for appealing to Brussels. Possibly, acting in this way Ankara wanted to indirectly put pressure on its NATO allies. As you know, till recently NATO was strongly against getting involved in a conflict between Turkey and Syria, a political analyst, Stanislav Tarasov, says.

Source

Turkey wants to drag NATO into a conflict, and NATO is trying hard not to get dragged into it. I have the feeling that Turkey is going to do something to force NATO's hand if the batteries are deployed.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Russia: Sales and deployment of the S-300 to Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, India, Bulgaria, People's Republic of China, Kazakhstan, North Korea, Slovakia, Ukraine, Venezuela, Vietnam AND Syria is 'alarming'

Hypocrites....
edit on 23-11-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join