Half Empty or Half Full or...?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

hmmmm, very good point.

It would depend a great deal on what you conider "full" to begin with.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Very interesting perspective. I often find myself reacting more than acting when dealing with others. I see it as a way of being truely interactive with them. Unless our reactions are a result of their actions, then we aren't really communicating, we're dictating.
I spent a great deal of my life "setting the tone" and conforming others to my views. Now, as I grow a bit older (and hopefully wiser), I make an effort to interact more and to experience the views of others more effectively.

I think I understand what you mean, though here is my particular way of seeing it-
Just like with most social animals, I think in every interaction, we subconsciously determine a hierarchy, be it even very subtle. A dominant, or leader, and a submissive, or follower. I know these terms don't sit well with many people... This is established through body language, low level sensory info, and things like this (acting versus re-acting).

I really don't mind being the submissive, or follower- I feel no particular attachment to being the leader because even if it carries power, it also carries responsibility so.....I can take it or leave it in most superificial interactions or relationships. In those cases, I usually one to be sort of quiet at first, observing, and then jump in to the other persons rythm and direction.

Do you sometimes feel yourself "shutting off emotions" while interacting? Perhaps as a way to protect yourself or even to protect others?

I also have many relationships and roles in which I am the leader (as mother, teacher, employer...) in which I do act first and set the tone and expect others to adjust.
Part of that is being the less emotional one.

It is as if, together, you and your student are being one entity temporarily, they playing the part of emotional force, you being the part of intellectual force. One the engine,the other the vision. Both need each other to make this entity move with grace, efficiency and speed.
So in those relations, they project upon me the intellectual decision making side of themself, and I project upon them my emotional energetic self.
But it is just a loan, a play we are doing. It does not mean I actually HAVE more intellectual force, and less emotional force, than they do.
As far as what it feels like in the moment, subejctively? It feels like I am less emotional, and my reasoning vision is clearer.
And when I am the "reactor", it feels like I am extremely emotional and full of energy, and less capable of directing that with my will.

Perhaps a strange way of seeing it... I know. I work with horses a lot, and much of my perspective gets modelled by the social structure I recognize in their interactions.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Ahhh, I should have known, a teacher

Yes, with the class, I'm definitely in a different role than I am with interacting with other adults. Part of today's educational system involves giving them a bit more power and working more as a facilitator. That can be challenging at times when it's important to cover a certain amount of content and it's indeed a balancing act.

Most people only have to wear one hat during the day, have one goal, one path, but teachers.... every hat in their inventory, every goal that exists, many paths all coming out in the same destination, knowledge and then wisdom.

It can indeed be daunting to interact on an individual basis with such a large number of hungry minds (whether they realize their mind is hungry or not). To find that spark and to feed it into a roaring fire. A task not taken lightly nor undertaken by the faint of heart. So many can act as teachers, but very few can actually BE teachers! You seem to have a firm grasp on the nature of the beast

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I am an optimistic realist...the glass is always half full and I would prefer it to be fuller, however, the possibility exist that it could get knocked over and become a realistic spill that requires an optimistic clean up! Depending on what was spilled different options exist...the wet vac, the cat, the dog, the husband or wife...etc. I would hope it just doesn't leave a stain in my brand new carpet or on my favorite dress, then the realist in me will have to strangle the optimist.
edit on 11/22/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: Edit

you have a husband AND a wife?

the husband or wife...

It depends who did the spilling and who is doing the clean up

That's all you could say...I laughed at my response...guess it wasn't that funny.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Why a glass? The hole in your heart would have said it better! They make pills for that but do not take them. Better to accept that hole and love it then let it grow with bull%hit! I find that I broke my glass long ago and now I learned I never needed it to begin with!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I am an optimistic realist...the glass is always half full and I would prefer it to be fuller, however, the possibility exist that it could get knocked over and become a realistic spill that requires an optimistic clean up! Depending on what was spilled different options exist...the wet vac, the cat, the dog, the husband or wife...etc. I would hope it just doesn't leave a stain in my brand new carpet or on my favorite dress, then the realist in me will have to strangle the optimist.

the husband or wife...

That's all you could say...I laughed at my response...guess it wasn't that funny.

Sorry I didn't comment more. I thought maybe I was talking too much and didn't want to overwhelm folks

It was very funny! I liked that you didn't focus on the glass, you focused on how the glass got that way. I did chuckle about the realist strangling the optimist

The dog is always a great choice at cleaning up spills! Not only does it get cleaned up, the dog is happy to do it!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Why are all these people so concerned about my contents?

What matters to me is not whether the glass is empty or full, but whether or not I will be able to fill it again.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by infoseeker26754
Why a glass? The hole in your heart would have said it better! They make pills for that but do not take them. Better to accept that hole and love it then let it grow with bull%hit! I find that I broke my glass long ago and now I learned I never needed it to begin with!

Now that you mention it, the plastic bottles are much more handy, and you can take them with you....

Without a hole in our hearts, the blood wouldn't be able to flow into the arteries and veins. It's just important that the holes are in the correct place

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

the husband or wife...

Sorry I didn't comment more. I thought maybe I was talking too much and didn't want to overwhelm folks

It was very funny! I liked that you didn't focus on the glass, you focused on how the glass got that way. I did chuckle about the realist strangling the optimist

The dog is always a great choice at cleaning up spills! Not only does it get cleaned up, the dog is happy to do it!

Well done...you handled that very diplomatically!

link   

"Is the glass half empty or is the glass half full?".
Who was drinking from it and why did they leave it sitting on the counter?"....

The glass is half empty. God is the one that drank half the glass and left the other half on the counter to tease us about what we could have had but now can't. (at least, some days it feels that way)

link   
reply to post by Glass

So you looked at this thread, went back in time to 3/24/2011, created the user name so could do a funny reply today?

Well played.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glass
Why are all these people so concerned about my contents?

What matters to me is not whether the glass is empty or full, but whether or not I will be able to fill it again.

hmmmmm interesting perspective indeed!! Afterall, if not used for drinking, what good is the glass to begin with? Filling and emptying are the constant actions that happen with the glass and give it purpose

Regardless of what our purpose may be..... have a purpose and fullfill it!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

As one of your posters pointed out, initial conditions are everything. There is no way of knowing where you are and where you are going if you don't know where you've been.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
A glass, containing any amount of liquid water will eventually become completely empty.
edit on 11/22/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Well done...you handled that very diplomatically!

Thank you

It is my wish to leave none unfulfilled

....whether they be a glass or not

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
A glass, containing any amount of liquid water will eventually become completely empty.
edit on 11/22/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

But some say the glass itself is liquid, not a solid, although a very, VERY slow flowing liquid. Hence the very old stained glass windows are always thicker at the bottom

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Philodemus

As one of your posters pointed out, initial conditions are everything. There is no way of knowing where you are and where you are going if you don't know where you've been.

I had a mentor once who proclaimed it didn't matter where you came from, it's where you're going that matters.... but then, if you are measuring success, looking at where you came from gives a better understanding of the progress you have made

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Philodemus

I had a mentor once who proclaimed it didn't matter where you came from, it's where you're going that matters.... but then, if you are measuring success, looking at where you came from gives a better understanding of the progress you have made

or lack of progress made

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Half empty is still opimistic because it means that there's space for more..

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by infoseeker26754

Now that you mention it, the plastic bottles are much more handy, and you can take them with you....

Without a hole in our hearts, the blood wouldn't be able to flow into the arteries and veins. It's just important that the holes are in the correct place

Now answer this....you have a choice between a glass bottle or a plastic bottle which one do you chose and why? and if the bottle is open does it still have half of it filled with air?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join