It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprise: PA College Slashes Instructors' Hours to Avoid Obamacare

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Like the old saying goes:

[color=cyan]
A Bit of the Hair of the Dog That Bit Me !

It'll Never happen to "ME" !

I guess the ObamaCare mandate takes no prisoners.

Oh wait.....maybe there are prisoners.

This article points out some legitimate concerns.

Pennsylvania's Community College of Allegheny County (CCAC) is slashing the hours of 400 adjunct instructors, support staff, and part-time instructors to dodge paying for Obamacare.

"It's kind of a double whammy for us because we are facing a legal requirement [under the new law] to get health care and if the college is reducing our hours, we don't have the money to pay for it," said adjunct biology professor Adam Davis.

On Tuesday, CCAC employees were notified that Obamacare defines full-time employees as those working 30 hours or more per week and that on Dec. 31 temporary part-time employees will be cut back to 25 hours. The move will save an estimated $6 million..............

I wonder how many new "victims" actually supported PPACA and if they still do ?

Related Thread....
Obamacare Mandate: Anyone Who Works 30-Hour Week Is Now 'Full-Time'

edit on Nov-21-2012 by xuenchen because:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Our Comm College is already on the razor edge for budgets and running sub-par on some things they shouldn't be. States can't print money and it ain't there to replace. I hope the passage of the Amendment in Missouri outlawing the exchanges and penalty against any Missouri resident for non-compliance with this nightmare is enough. If they cut positions at schools...well, this town lives on two things really. Higher Education and Truck Driving. Energy costs make the latter a hard row to hoe and the former has been safe until now.

I wouldn't poke fun though. Comm College isn't the University level. The ones I have as instructors all have regular jobs or are retired with most working year to year contracts which can (and have unfortunately for some) been dropped for other reasons in the past. There just isn't room to give or find more and tuition has little room left either. Something has to give...
edit on 21-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
To all the Obamacare-ists... Just another case of I told you so. Just wait until it affects you. And it will one way or another. Actually it will affect you in many ways. Loss of wages, higher prices, kids moving back into home, not being able to afford gas for your car, etc.... I think I will coin a new phrase, Obamageddon.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
so the unethical actions and greed of this college is somehow obama's fault.

these min. wage employees didn't have healthcare at 30 hrs a week. so nothing's changed.

min. wage in pa is $7.25 per hour. 400 employees x 5hrs each equals 2000 hrs slashed.

at $7.25 an hour it's $14,500 a week the college profits. that's what changed.

if they really couldn't afford it, they would have made all part time employees work 29 hrs a week or used those savings to get healthcare. not pocket it.

and i'm sure if you offered one of the thousands of healthcare companies out there $58,000 a month to cover 400 part-time employees with basic healthcare with reasonable deductions, they'd make the numbers work.

edit on 21-11-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Here's some more sources.....
just in case anyone questions the truth behind the story.

HuffPost story

insidehighered.com

and an ironic webpage at the affected school...

The Career Transition Center for Dislocated Workers was created and implemented to address the state’s Rapid Response initiative for handling dislocated workers in Allegheny County via the Dislocated Worker Tuition Waiver Program.

Dislocated workers may take classes at CCAC toward the successful completion of one of the approved certificate programs for free tuition and fees only (no more than 36 credits within a 24-month period).

To start the inquiry process, call the Career Transition Center at 412.788.7351.....

Career Transition Center for Dislocated Workers

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Obama seems to have left a gaping loophole in this new heathcare tax of his. All you have to do is hire folks for 29 hours a week instead of 40? Won't all employers eventually do this? It may take some time for people to adjust to living on 75% of their prior budget, but simple arithmetic seems to make it necessary now, no?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111
Obama seems to have left a gaping loophole in this new heathcare tax of his. All you have to do is hire folks for 29 hours a week instead of 40? Won't all employers eventually do this? It may take some time for people to adjust to living on 75% of their prior budget, but simple arithmetic seems to make it necessary now, no?

Well, it won't affect those of us with good healthcare to begin with. But less hours is a gimmie for those that don't. I guess they will have to start working two jobs now. Just imagine the hastle of driving to two different jobs every week. Or it could be 2 different jobs a day if they work them half days for 5 days. All that travel time and a day shot Bleh.... That is if they can find a second job with this economy being all messed up.
edit on 21-11-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
All knee jerk reactions. This will all come out in the wash. Something had to be done in the U.S.. cause you have the highest healthcare costs in the world and among the lowest longevity of the industrialized world. Don't worry for the workers they will leave and find work elsewhere and the community college will have a difficult time replacing them......good workers are very hard to find. If the worker collective were really smart they should just unionize.
edit on 21-11-2012 by brice because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

these min. wage employees didn't have healthcare at 30 hrs a week. so nothing's changed.

min. wage in pa is $7.25 per hour. 400 employees x 5hrs each equals 2000 hrs slashed.

if they really couldn't afford it, they would have made all part time employees work 29 hrs a week or used those savings to get healthcare. not pocket it.

and i'm sure if you offered one of the thousands of healthcare companies out there $58,000 a month to cover 400 part-time employees with basic healthcare with reasonable deductions, they'd make the numbers work.

I understand your point but,

Maybe you should give better details.

Like where anybody said this is "Obama's fault" and maybe find that $7.25 an hour figure anywhere.

And are you 100% sure that those people don't have insurance now ?

Even if they don't, they will have to soon enough, and pay for it.

TIA.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
All Obamacare is, is a vehicle to propel us towards the Cloward-Piven cliff.

The loss of jobs, the strain of the people forced to accept foodstamps and assistance from the very same government that created the situation that put them there will just crush the entire system.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by brice

Mental note, tell all the teachers that are flipping burgers that they don't want to work at CCAC if given the opportunity. "Look a teaching job!" Stampede in 3.. 2... 1 Second mental note, tell teachers presently working at CCAC to go work at Walmart over principles. Silence in 3...2...1.... This is the 100% reality of the teaching situation in the CCAC area. The teachers will line up even for a job teaching in a prison.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

Indeed.... This is what some folks have been trying to talk about since the start. Between Pelosi and the Republicans, anything that bill had that was decent (outside of perhaps pre-existing conditions, but that isn't working well yet either) was shot to a real hot place by the time it was passed in it's final form. Maybe that had been the point all along?

Gone was anything really GOOD... Now it''s a giant ..almost unconscionable expansion of existing Gov't programs which are doomed fast to fiscal failure at current levels themselves, let alone what this adds to them and the numbers of people paying in are dropping vs. those taking out. The math is pure impossible and math can't lie. it doesn't care. It just is...and it says we're doomed. At least economically and in the short term. Long term? Recovery always happens...always. It can just be REAL hard getting there. Ask Zimbabwe.

This stupid 'Obamacare' stuff isn't even his really. It happened FAR FAR too fast. No one else may recall but I sure do, stories back then talking about Pelosi being the one talking 'down' to Obama in private and he being the weaker of the two. I don't know how true all that was but Pelosi owned this far more than he did. He hadn't even been in TERM long enough to have read all of the over 1900 pages this nightmare was when Pelosi banged that absurd toy gavel down and let us 'find out what was in it by passing it'. Oh yeah.. we're finding out alright.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
The OC is just an EXCUSE. You try getting a full-time job at a university, anywhere. It's nearly impossible with budget cuts. In Texas most colleges are now just hiring adjuncts to teach all the underclassmen classes, so you have professors driving all over hell & back to teach one class here, another class there, to make enough money to survive. This has already been going on for a few years.

This is nothing more than GOVERNMENT FISCAL IRRESPONSIBILITY coming home to roost. OC is just the icing on the cake, not the whole cake.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Nothing "unethical" going on here. You just don't understand the college, as any business, has a desire and responsibility to remain in business. Now, because of the healthcare law, extra money is required to stay in business. This money either has to be earned or be shifted away from other costs within their system. The rules of the new healthcare law specifically point out that employees working under 30 hours per week don't apply. So college is following the rules, they would rather not participate in wealth distribution by subsidizing health care premiums. Do you not agree with the rules in Obamacare? What is unethical?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

This is/was bound to happen. You will see more companies and businesses hiring hiring more
workers at less than thirty hours a week to avoid the cost of insurance.

It will be rampant. Every average worker is at risk.

If you want to place blame, place it on profitable business practices. You can call it unethical if you
would like. Even stand in the street with sign if you think that would help.

But it won't....the average US worker will be caught in the middle---a rock and a hard place.

Many will have their hours cut so that they have less income, and then will be required to pay
a portion of this lesser amount to pay for mandated health care.

It is already happening...and it will continue

edit on 22-11-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Thank you for your reply.
Though I do not live in PA as it sounds like you do, I don't know exactly the situation there but if things are as bad as you claim then it seems like a good idea to unionize. The only way to win tit-for-tat is to not give in! There is strength in numbers.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

The loss of jobs, the strain of the people forced to accept foodstamps and assistance from the very same government that created the situation that put them there will just crush the entire system.

I'm just curious as to what is the name of the cliff that the Bush administration propelled us towards in 2008?

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

This is/was bound to happen. You will see more companies and businesses hiring hiring more workers at less than thirty hours a week to avoid the cost of insurance.

This seemed to be the trend before Obamacare, except then the magic number was under 40.

link   

Originally posted by elouina
reply to post by brice

Mental note, tell all the teachers that are flipping burgers that they don't want to work at CCAC if given the opportunity. "Look a teaching job!" Stampede in 3.. 2... 1 Second mental note, tell teachers presently working at CCAC to go work at Walmart over principles. Silence in 3...2...1.... This is the 100% reality of the teaching situation in the CCAC area. The teachers will line up even for a job teaching in a prison.

I'm not really getting at what you mean. Are there too many teachers in the area? Is CCAC a great job?

link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by beezzer

I'm just curious as to what is the name of the cliff that the Bush administration propelled us towards in 2008?

The same.

Cloward-Piven.

Bush started with TARP and fighting a war poorly. Obama is just propeling us faster towards the edge.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join