It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dignitaries, Street Folk Turn Out for Fast Eddie's Funeral

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I found this to be an interesting and touching story. When I lived in New Orleans there were very many street people who were a part of the culture and known by everyone. I opened up "The New Yorker" once and found a statue for sale of one old guy who used to dance on the street corner and lick his lips in the most suggestive way at all the ladies, yet he was accomdated and loved by everyone. I often wondered if he got royalties for that work. I doubt it.

Dignitaries, Street Folk Turn Out for Fast Eddie's Funeral

Last Updated Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:50:19 EDT

MONCTON, N.B. -
Six judges were among the honorary pall bearers Tuesday at the Moncton funeral of a street person known as "Fast Eddie."

The judges joined street people, police officers, athletes and local politicians in a church to pay their respects to Eddie Leger, also known as "Eddie the Bum."

Eddie Leger
He was an alcoholic who died of liver cancer at the age of 74 after living on the streets of Moncton for five decades.

Leger often begged in front of the Roman Catholic cathedral where his funeral was held.

"It was a Who's Who of Moncton," the city's mayor, Lorne Mitton, told CBC Newsworld after the funeral. "The street people got up to tell stories about Eddie. It was a spectacle to see."
www.cbc.ca...

join