It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists 'Undiscover' Pacific Island

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Apocalyptic

Then why black it out?

The fact that the area is now blacked out on pretty much every available map makes this incredibly suspicious.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Apocalyptic

Yeah I've even thought of the possibility of being a Nuclear Test site, or another type of weapon. Seems to fit into the area of Bikini Atoll but maybe this is so hush hush because it's not to far from populated areas.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Well, it looks like an Aussie librarian has figured it all out, and as I reluctantly suspected, it was indeed an error repeated over and over again.

As a sailor of 20 years, this is the FIRST time I've ever heard of an error of this nature on a modern era nautical chart.

But that still doesn't explain why someone saw something at that location at some point. There are logs in the historic record [see article] detailing numerous sightings at various times.

I'm not convinced that an error in cartography completely explains this away.

Sandy Island Mystery Solved

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Apocalyptic
Thanks. I'm thinking it was above water at some point...maybe a very shallow atoll that is now just a reef...hence the dark shadow effect in the older portion of the image. This is part of the great barrier reef I think so its possible. I just don't think a simple "error" occurred. Just strange why its painted out so poorly.

Two quick comments...

This is NOT part of the Great Barrier Reef which rises from the continental shelf of Australia and is about 800 nm west of the purported location of Sandy Island, and the recent survey by the Australian science team measured the water depth in that location as 1,400 m (4,600 feet). There would have had to have been a massive collapse of the underwater structure that would have surely caused a massive earthquake and tsunami in New Caledonia and set off every seismic detector on Earth.

That being said, your split overhead of Google maps vs. Earth is very intriguing. We definitely have a mystery here whether or not a mistake was made on a nautical chart somewhere back when...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
reply to post by lavenlaar

I've lost keys, money, girlfriends, bets, and directions.

But never an island.

Strange indeed.

If you looked everywhere, now you know where to look..!!

We can assume that Google Earth, GPS and all that other global survaillance, locating and stuff belongs to (US) government(s). When such things suddently go black for the common folks 'they' have something to hide. But why this appearently insignificant little Island? The Island of Dr. Moreau....has it accidently been bumbed into?

edit on 27/11/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by HattoriHanzou

I'm leaning towards a mix of money and errors.

Have a look at
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Dont know if mentioned before but there were some more Islands dissapearing over the years

mentioned in another thread:
______beforeitsnews/science-and-technology/2012/11/haarp-unleashes-tesla-d eath-ray-2498644.html?utm_campaign=alternative&utm_source=abovetopsecret.com&utm_medium=awe.sm-facebook-post&utm_content=awesm-publisher

not the best of all, i know
en.wikipedia.org...

and this one
articles.time... sofindia.indiatimes.com/2010-03-25/global-warming/28119002_1_ghoramara-global-warming-rise-in-sea-levels

all different causes , i think

edit on 11/27/2012 by SheldonCooper because: edit

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SBMcG

Here's a more reputable source:

www.livescience.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

And even closer, the Museum's blog on the subject:
blog.aucklandmuseum.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Interesting! So, error, or did something happen to this island? There has been quite a lot of seismic activity in the Pacific recently. Maybe it sank? I hope they find answers, and we get to hear the solution.

Or....maybe it swam away...
I remember an old comic book story about an "island" that wasn't. Pretty entertaining read.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I've been following this thread and it's very interesting. I'm a big fan of LOST so that was the first thing that came to my mind as well.

But there have been stories in folklore for years of islands that only appear certain times. There's the island of Hy-Brasil that only appears out of the fog every 7 years. There are a few others. It's a very interesting topic.

But I love seeing all the explanations.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
NEWSFLASH *** NEWSFLASH ***

The island has now been officially removed from Google Earth !!!!!

It's gone *poof* with the click of the mouse

Guess im going to need to look into using this now
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 20-12-2012 by lavenlaar because: added link

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Sandy island. Sandy Hook. Hurricane Sandy. It has to be the government that made the island disappear.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gattacanian
Sandy island. Sandy Hook. Hurricane Sandy. It has to be the government that made the island disappear.

Star for you for linking 3 in 1 month !

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Look up Narcondum Island in the Andaman Islands off Burma. There is a volcano with photos yet Google Earth shows no such island.

I don't mean there's a conspiracy (because being ATS you never knwo what people think), I just mean Google earth is not complete
edit on 27-12-2012 by pacifier2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gattacanian

I was wondering about that myself. Look at how web search engines use the auto complete option. The idea of keeping the information hidden in plane sight with recent disasters is ludicrous.

Then again, anything could be possible.

The coincidence is pretty funny.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   

i don't know if someone said it yet, but there could've been a quake that made that "Island" sink,
think Atlantis but without all the myth n' such

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ss830
i don't know if someone said it yet, but there could've been a quake that made that "Island" sink,

Surprised this thread is still going considering the "mystery" has now been solved some weeks ago.

1. A whaling ship, the "Velocity" noted in the captains log the existance of "sandy islets" in this area, in 1876.
Several internet resources describe this being from a small navigational error from back in the days of sextants and compass and is probably just a sighting of the Chesterfield Islands, a short distance westwards.

2. Some time after that, cartographers used the logs of ships who had been in this area to make maps.

edit on 28-12-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join