It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heavy Metal as Therapy.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I suffer from panic attacks and agoraphobia.
This is how it goes:

I've just entered the shopping mall, and I know the sky-high ceilings are approaching.
Or otherwise ... gulp ... it's the escalator.
But I have no choice - I have tasks to complete.
I clench my fists and focus on the floor.

I imagine soothing Enya-type New Age music.
It was on a disk by one of those self-help gurus.
I pop my homeopathic Argentum Nitricum pills (just sugar pills, apparently).

I try and breathe slowly ...
All this just makes it worse.

Then suddenly a song pops into my head.
It's metal - it's Manowar!

I recalled that I hadn't heard good metal for ages, but two nights before I watched a Manowar concert on YouTube.
In fact, I'd specifically avoided metal, because it seemed too fast, and too heavy for my anxiety.

The bass starts playing in my ears, and next thing my teeth are chattering like drums.

I'm on the escalator, my hands are calm and my chest is out.

I feel like a warrior who can overcome anything.

Next thing my tasks are done, and I can't believe what just happened.

I've repeated the exercise since then.

It's not perfect, but yes - Metal is therapeutic!

Has anybody also felt that Metal is therapy?
I've mentioned one band, but more suggestions are welcome.
I'm not sure all genres would work for one person, but epic and melodic metal is just what the doctor ordered.

I'm not always in the mood for metal, but I try to force myself to listen to Manowar at least once when I'm on the web, and then I do enjoy it.

Those lyrics are mighty uplifting.

Go Dr. Metal Go!
edit on 21-11-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

That is definitely the greatest remedy I've ever heard of.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
The song that made psychological mince-meat out of a once mighty escalator.

Manowar - Battle Hymn:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Metal music is very calming to me a lot of people don't get that but that's ok... Also most mainstream music make me feel agitated and has the reverse effect on me .

This song takes me to my special place .... the more progressive the better .

edit on 21/11/12 by freedomSlave because: forgot to embed the song

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
the absolute loudest band in the world!!! ha manowar is a cure-all on a whole other level. good luck to whatever helps you and i agree, i've used "metal" to help me throughout my entire life and for whoever is into metal you'll know exactly what i'm talking about. \m/

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Manowar - Black Wind, Fire and Steel:

Manowar - Spirit Horse of the Cherokee:

Manowar - Hail and Kill:

Perhaps some might argue these lyrics are too violent for youngsters (but other people on this planet also matter, not just youngsters), or it's a placebo.
Some might say the style of music is Euro-centric, and won't work for all cultures.

I'm not advocating that people should stop whatever therapies they are using.

I just wanted to share something positive that did happen to me because of metal music, and perhaps it could be a field for more research.
edit on 21-11-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Rock with this Jam bro!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I have the same reaction to heavy metal...the more the bass 'drives', the more the drums 'punch', the more the guitars 'shred'...the better...

I've been a fan of Killing Joke for years - starting way back when they were 'all weird'...I must have worn out countless CD's of the same albums, just playing them over and over again - really LOUD...

I find the music therapeutic, in that, it sets very powerful, visceral feelings going (got me out of a few low points)...
...and there's something about the complexity of Vai and Joe Sat. that is almost spiritual (sucky, I know)...

Rock on

A99

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I've always loved metal!!!!!!!!! The music is so powerful and inspiring.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
it's kinda ironic because it's a very aggressive genre and when i'm in a bad way, stressed out or just a really bad day it has a very calming effect on me it takes me to a tranquil place. i've said this my entire life.. "music is the words only true magic". it's not for everyone tho you have to be a fan of the genre for it to work because personally if i'm with a friend or whoever and i play the music and if they're not into it i can actually feel their frustration and dislike for it.. does anyone else know that feeling or am i just nutty as a fruitcake? anyway.. metal has really got me through some really bad times to this day and continues to be an awesome "Therapy" as you said and will be with me for as long as i have ears and even if i would lose them i think i'd hug the speakers to feel the vibration haha so kids.. when you mom or dad gets on your back asking why the heck you're listening to a music you can't hear wtf they're saying and the music sounds like a chainsaw running at full throttle don't sweat it, relax and be respectful towards them and tell them why you do because you're representing all of us so don't become a bad example. it's awesome to be your own person and even be rebellious but do it respectfully, without it you're just a thug and no matter what the tv tells you it's not cool. anyway.. enough incoherent rambling from me and on with the manowar videos!!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Fantastic subject and thanx, OP for posting it. I too use metal as a coping mechanism. I suffer from anxiety and depression, and many of my friends/family "don't get it" either, but I listen and I feel stronger, with energy, and confidence. It takes me back to a time (the 80's) when my biggest problems in life were choosing between the drummer and the singer, or which mini skirt to wear to Gazarri's metal club! Suddenly my dark moods begin to drift away and I feel better again. Metal is not just helpful, for me it's a MUST!

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockerchic4God
It takes me back to a time (the 80's)

ahhh yes.. the 80's era.. when there was only "metal" and not 500 sub-genres and when metal was indeed metal and it was actually fun seeing your favorite local band play. i was the rare type tho in a time where you where either metal or punk there was no gray area, one or the other and never both but i was both haha the only thing that kinda sucked was you had to dress the part for each event to avoid getting into fights but yeah the 80's where great if you where metal or punk because so many legendary and original bands where born then and now, well, now they're all cookie-cutter bands, failed copies of amazing bands. don't get me wrong there's a few bands out there doing amazing stuff but it's few and far between finding them but every once in a while you're able to find a hidden gem in all the poopie bands haha i'm sure when i have grandkids one of their favorite sayings will be... "wow jimmy that's as metal as my grandfathers hip!!!!!" haha \m/

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I think Metal is amazing therapy. I know someone complained about all the different genres, but I have playlists for every type of mood and I have noticed most of them pretty much contain one genre for one mood, another genre for another type of mood. but it is all metal except my silly mood playlist which may or may not contain a handful of mainstream music songs.

Point being, whether you are angry, depressed or even happy, there is metal music that fits the bill.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Not always metal, but certain songs and artists/bands just seem to set the brain right when you are out of whack.

I'm like you, crowds and public places do nothing for me, but with the right song in my head or even around me things seem to be easier to focus or get your thoughts in the right line.

This was an interesting little bit in Fringe a couple seasons back that I've always thought about in regards to our minds and their affect with the right music;

It certainly wouldn't surprise me.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

I'm a Manowar fan,since 1987 and i love the guys(past and present members alike).
Manowar is the band that i listen when i'm in bad mood or during panic attacks.They always give me strength and uplift my spirit.

Manowar - Heart Of Steel

Manowar - Gods Of War

Manowar-Touch the Sky

Which concert did you watch?I suggest you check the Earthshaker 2005 festival,if you haven't already.The "Battle Hymn" version is out of this world.I was there and i can tell you that i was crying for days.It took me a year to set my foot in a concert after that.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
cannibal corpse to eliminate the fear of death and to think assertively with a mean a$$ gleam in your eye

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

some songs calm me down, mostly doom metal, others get me excited.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I don't mind speed metal. Like Rhapsody, Dragonforce, Symphony X. Those get me energized. But there can't be any screaming. Screaming isn't theraputic for me. My brother likes the screaming metal. What calms me down is Ambient music.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I have never underestimated the power of music. Especially since it's been scientifically proven to help cope with anxiety.
I listen to metal to bring up my courage level, or when I'm angry..just so everyone knows not to mess with me.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

Wow.
More great songs!

I watched the "Earthshaker" concert in your post.

I love the whole speech about Wagner, and that's when it gets really awesome.

I had some Manowar, which got stolen during a car break-in long ago.

So I had an inkling I would be seeing something good.

Having grown up at a time before the Internet (and during a cultural boycott against SA) there's a lot of catching up to do by watching concerts, and researching rock bands.

Rarely is it as rewarding as Manowar.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join