It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non Lethal, huh????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Here is a troubling story...

A 21-year-old college student died Thursday of a head injury after a clash between police and a crowd of Red Sox fans who poured into the streets outside Fenway Park to celebrate their team's victory over the New York Yankees.

Victoria Snelgrove, a journalism major at Emerson College in Boston, was shot in the eye by a projectile fired by an officer on crowd-control duty. The nature of the projectile was not immediately identified but the weapons are meant to be non-lethal.

Rest of story here.

It just goes to show that no matter how safe something is supposed to be there is always that slim chance of something going bad WRONG!!!

Edited because I hit submit too soon.

[edit on 21-10-2004 by K_OS]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
It seems the authorities in U.S are using increasing force on the streets over there. I would be concerned that police are allowed to fire any type of projectiles into crowds or run people down with vehicles.

"It appears from evidence we have reviewed thus far that Tori was killed when she was hit in the eye by a projectile fired as officers tried to control mobs outside the ballpark," O'Toole said. "Designated officers were equiped with less-lethal systems that use projectiles designed to break upon impact, dousing the target with pepper-like spray."

From that description it sounds like they were using some type of paintball guns, but instead of a paintball they use pepper balls?

What do they mean by the term "less lethal". Did they consider using "more lethal" tactics?

Boston Police Commissioner Kathleen O'Toole expressed the department's sympathies to Snelgrove's family and said the agency "accepts full responsibility for the death of Victoria Snelgrove.

So will they be charging the officer responsible with murder/manslaughter?

It just seems to me that Americans are already living in a police state, they just don't realise it yet.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Non lethal is a incorrect term for these weapons they are called less-lethal weapons. I have heard of Rubber Rocket Projectiles fired from a shotgun that have broke peoples arms. I have seen them dent metal doors they are very powerful.

A shot to the head can kill a person. The thing about less-lethal weapons is if a cop does not have them they often have to go to their next option which is lethal force.

These weapons should never be called non-lethal weapons because they are not.

join