It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don`t animals have wheels?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter81
reply to post by dr treg

Surely a wheel of any kind has to rotate freely upon an axle of some kind. Therefore it would have to be a separate entity to whatever life form incorporated it. No tether, no blood vessels, a freely rotating object on an axle.

What about roller wheels/castors? Ball bearings in a captive socket have no axle.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I thought it would be logical that mammals could not have wheels as I'd imagine it would be physiologically impossible. But maybe I read the post wrong.

I mean considering we were given legs (other than serpents), it would be unnecessary.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Very true! But can you fathom a way of doing that in a closed living system while also supplying it with blood to carry the oxygen it will need to power any kind of locomotion?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
If you think about it insect legs actually move in a circular .motion. So do insect wings. The only real difference is they need more legs than wheels to make it work.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Given a sufficiently large, fertile and enduring environment where wheels could facilitate travel, I think symbiotic relationships could evolve in which one species acts as wheels attached to the feet of another species. The environment would need to resemble smooth, hard roadways, connecting food to other resources. Propulsion could be accomplished in the manner of roller skating. Overcrowding of these natural roadways would limit proliferation of such beings until they learn to cooperate and observe traffic rules.

This has not happened on Earth because of the lack of natural roadways. Wheels have no survival value in any natural environment on Earth, except perhaps on salt flats, which are lacking in other resources. Even salt flats are periodically flooded, turning them into temporary bogs where wheels are useless.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr treg
Trouble is there are body organs which do not have blood vessels and nerves to sustain them.

And those are which?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I bet when we can make vehicles that have legs and control systems that work as well as insects we will instantly realize how constricting wheels are.

Even "parking" with legs would make a huge difference. Try solving that parking problem as well with wheels.. it's nearly impossible. Look how long we have been using wheels and haven't really solved it even with those computer controlled systems. Nowhere near as effective as legs that can just move sideways.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Well, of course, there's the real issue.

If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Hair?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

Hair is not an organ.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I like your reference to ball joints and the need for flat terrain to justify wheels.

Good points.

I think the eyeballs are another interesting body part, but they don't spin around.
edit on 22-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

Trouble is there are body organs which do not have blood vessels and nerves to sustain them.

Didn't do too well in biology class, I take it.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
ok - epithelium (avascular but innervated)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

Because a wheel cant climb a tree or a rock face.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

Because Apple has the patent!

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Because they need to be bolted on like this:

edit on 24-11-2012 by nolabel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join